You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: **Kevin Cogill Who Leaked 9 GnR Songs Arrested Today**

Neemo wrote:

fuck that madagas...people share hard to find demo material all the time....do they start busting everyone who may have some obscure ozzy demo or something? if there is no other way to get the material other than downloading (ie if its not ever released in a commercial format) then how can you encriminate someone for seeking it out?...say CD is released tomorrow with all different mixes....all of a sudden these leaks are no more than a novelty

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

yeah from the look of things this is outside the gnr realm of influence

its a good album for the RIAA to use as an example too...because it is such a mythical album...and alot of money has been invested into it

though what if the leaks he posted arent gonna be on the album as has been suggested? then what? all of a sudden he has leaked material which will not appear on an official release...it'll be no different then the alt cuts of lies that appeared a couple years ago

I would say it would be no different. Say for instance, GNR decides to release a box set next year with tons of demos and alternate takes, like a lot of bands do. They may want to include those on there as well. This is just a guess on my part though.

Sky Dog wrote:

neemo, you have no idea what is intended for release at this point so why speculate further. The FBI and RIAA was confident enough to arrest the guy so I will lean towards the fact that the music in question is intended for release at some point in the future.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

You all downloaded the songs, so stop talking about 'robbery'. I can't prove that the Axl camp had its hand in this, neither can you prove the opposite. Believe me, they're quite happy with the FBI action. I am not, and all GN'R fans should be against this nonsense drama. Axl and his people shouldn't be this anal about 'dated' (according to Bumblefoot) material. The leaks are coming right from Axl's house, he gives discs to Fernando, he plays the 'album' in strip clubs. He wanted to test the waters, now the leaks made it possible to test a bigger water. Maybe they don't like the reaction, but the test is done.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

So Bright Eyes do you believe GNR weren't consulted on this at all by Universal?

I don't buy it for one second.  Surely since it was GNR's music even if this is initiated by RIAA and or Universal they would have consulted with GNR first before taking any action.  Otherwise how would they know they weren't demos to be shared.

If I record some songs and suddenly people are hosting them on a website are RIAA gonna take action about it.  NO!  If they did they would at least have to check with me to see if I wanted them out there or not.  Many artists share their music like that.  Now we all know (or presume) that GNR didn't want them there.  But how the hell would RIAA or whoever know that for a fact without checking with GNR and asking - should we go after them?

Why when NIN or Radiohead (cant remeber who) intentionally left a memory stick in a toilet at a concert so some new songs woudl circulate - why were those people not chased down.  Why because they checked with the band and found it was part of a marketing strategy.

As MLS said the first time he leaked stuff in 2007, Universal wanted to go after him but Axl and the GNR camp didn't, SO IT NEVER HAPPENED.  That there in itself implies that GNR had a say in this.  The GNR camp may not be driving this train but they sure as hell gave it the ok to leave the station.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

neemo, you have no idea what is intended for release at this point so why speculate further. The FBI and RIAA was confident enough to arrest the guy so I will lean towards the fact that the music in question is intended for release at some point in the future.

So then either RIAA jumped the gun on arresting this guy or they consulted Uni/GnR first

since it took them a month to act I would assume that some form of correspondance took place

Sky Dog wrote:

NEEMO, also, I would imagine the same principles apply to older material as well. To put it simply, anything that is recorded under a proper recording contract could be up for the same copyright infringement argument. Whether or not the label, band, or RIAA pursue it is another matter. It appears, according to the Wall St article, that they are now going to start taking an aggressive stance on these type of issues.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

To put it simply, anything that is recorded under a proper recording contract could be up for the same copyright infringement argument.

that is exactly what i am trying to get at...and i dont agree with that stance at all

but maybe thats just me...i understand the officially released stuff..but claiming copyright on unreleased material is insanity...what about bootleg concerts? most bands record live shows these days ...does that also fall under this same infringement? fuck all that

@ Mole...we do our best to not post links to officially released material by any band on this site

and the officially reelased part is where things seem to be heading into murky water...

Board footer