You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Anniversary for Use Your Illusion I & II

Today it's seventeen years ago these two records were released.

Congratulations to current and previous members of Guns N' Roses for creating the incredible Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II.

The second one being, in my opinion, the greatest album ever made.

Chinese Democracy is possibly its only enemy...

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
CrimeSlunkScene wrote:

Today it's seventeen years ago these two records were released.

Congratulations to current and previous members of Guns N' Roses for creating the incredible Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II.

The second one being, in my opinion, the greatest album ever made.

Chinese Democracy is possibly its only enemy...

You liked UYI 2 better than AFD?  Interesting.  I don't agree.  UYI2 was clearly better than 1 but being the greatest record of all time.  I think not.  But you are entitled to your opinion.

gnfnraxl wrote:

You liked UYI 2 better than AFD?

Definitely.

I think Appetite For Destruction is a good record and it's also an absolute classic, but at the same time I think that it's extremely overrated - Think About You being an exception.

All the different sides of the Use Your Illusion records is a far more epic and complex journey than Appetite is and I guess that's why I love the direction that Guns N' Roses is going towards now - at least if I were to judge it by the material we've heard.

I honestly can't say why that is, but I guess that it has to do with that I like the more "serious" sides of GN'R.

And people are fully entitled to their opinions, but I truly think that Use Your Illusion II is the greatest record ever made. Only Guns N' Roses themselves can change that by making an even better record.

Here's to the past and the present. Either way, I love it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Respect to the UYI records...they've changed my life over the years.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I like both better than AFD, but for the record think UYI I is the stronger half.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I always like AFD, but when UYI's came along they really cemented my like for this band.  The UYI albums really talked to me a lot and really helped peak my interest in music in general.

So sad, that feels like a liftime ago now.  So much wasted time since...

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I discovered GN'R via UYI, and it was basically through those two albums that I became the big rock n roll fanatic that I am today.

I find it hard to sit and listen to either of them all the way through these days, but sometimes I'll have them on in the car and there are certain guitar parts or vocal melodies that make me go "damn, GN'R were the best fucking rock band ever".

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

such a crazy time to watch gnr skyrocket to the top of the rock world...makes me sad when i think about those days compared to these days

i remember hating right next door to hell right off the bat (still do) but the albusm panned out great i would sing coma and stuff to myself when i worked in a factory as a summer student cuz noone could hear me over the noise 16 it made the days fly by

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:

you only had to sing it six times an hour wink

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

UYI I was my favorite album for quite a while. I haven't listened to either Illusion in a long time but they're brilliant albums.

Board footer