You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Guns N Roses on Universal Music Group Release List

Sky Dog wrote:

actually, I think you just confused yourself Brett.....Gnr is not rocket science by any steretch of the imagination.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Brett wrote:

The problem with people sort of thinking a reunion is happening... I'm not saying one would never happen. All I know is Axl Rose is still crazy and still going onstage late. Unless there's contract clauses thrown in by Slash and the boys this time, I don't think it will happen. Axl has to show up for rehearsal, has to show up for jams, has to show up on stage on time, etc...

It's easy to think "yeah... Axl needs a guitarist and a bassist, wow, Slash and Duff!" but that's not a reunion. Adler or Sorum would have to be there for it to be anywhere close. And, I doubt Izzy would have any part of it. Chinese Democracy... and a reunion tour? How does this work? If they play CD stuff, do they play VR stuff? It's really complicated at this point.

At this point it's evidently clear that CD doesn't have to be supported by a tour. Reunited-GN'R could tour, never play ANY CD songs, and still release CD, and let a 'reunion' fuel sales for an album, even though only Axl & Dizzy would be on the album, and the live performances don't feature CD songs.

Even the new band, which is involved with CD, only typically play FOUR songs from the album. Considering the fact they probably have at least three albums worth to choose from.

If GN'R were to reunite, they would rely on the back catalog, which is what new-GN'R does already anyways.

But if they were to reunite, that doesn't mean that Axl has to march to the drum of Slash & Duff. THEY would have to accept he goes on at midnight. They would have to accept he doesn't rehearse. And Axl would have to accept their artistic integrity in the studio, and not be a perfectionist with another artist's work.

Who knows, none of them may be willing for those terms. Something tells me with their current status as active artists, which they ain't, they might be a little more open to get along. People also said David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen would never even be in the same room with each other again... Irving Azoff helped change that.

And also just for the sake of accuracy... if Axl & Slash is there... the world will consider it a reunion. Even if they're backed by Richard, Tommy, & Frank. Something tells me if it were to happen, Duff & Matt would be indeed brought in, and the only difference would be that Richard would be on rhythm, with occasional guest appearences by Izzy for the big shows, ala 2006.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

But if they were to reunite, that doesn't mean that Axl has to march to the drum of Slash & Duff. THEY would have to accept he goes on at midnight. They would have to accept he doesn't rehearse. And Axl would have to accept their artistic integrity in the studio, and not be a perfectionist with another artist's work.

But, we all know Slash doesn't want to go on stage late every damn night and that Axl thinks GNR is his solo project. The personalities are so different. I think Slash wants to put out albums and how is that going to happen with Axl? Axl can't even put out an album he has 100% control over.

Virtually no one will work with Axl Rose for an extended period of time, except those who are famous only because of him. I think Axl and Slash and all the guys could be friends again, other than Slash and Axl (not sure about Duff and Axl), they're all friendly-ish again. But, working with Axl is another can of worms. Could they get through a tour together? Maybe. An album? I dunno. Why would Slash want to tour Chinese Democracy anyways? It's what he'd be doing in a roundabout way. Maybe his ideal that touring is just playing for the sake of playing would help that out.

This all benefits Axl Rose, really does nothing for the other guys except make them money, which they all have enough of anyways.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

buzzsaw is no troll he just calls it as he sees it and many people do not agree with his views I for one share a lot of his thoughts.

But Reps just confirmed that Eminem's album is indeed penned in for a 4th quarter release. So take that for what it is worth.

Hopefully Eminem's album is good.  9

I agree with basically everything Axlin08 has said in regards to a reunion.  It looks like it could happen, ex members have eluded to it more than usual lately.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

New band isn't going anywhere.

CD still ain't out.

VR has yet to find a lead singer.

GNR might be without a guitarist & bassist.

Weiland has fueled rumors that they were going to reunite in 2006, and talks were going on now. Duff denied it.

Slash, Duff & Matt have been playing up Axl BIG TIME in the last year, way more so than usual. Encouraging a reunion, and hoping it would happen.

"Axl, Slash & Duff could be in a bomb shelter somewhere discussing a reunion, and I wouldn't know about it" - Matt Sorum. You can take that statement anyway you want it.

GNR's new manager is a man who's recent accolades are getting The Eagles back together, and David Lee Roth back in Van Halen.

Axlin08, none that stuff pointed to a reunion, man. Anything likely pointing to a reunion was all read into it by you.

If Axl wanted a reunion he wouldn't need to hire a huge management firm to do it. I mean, really. C'mon. And all signs point to him hiring Azoff was because of his reputation of getting things done, not staging reunions. He was hired to clean up a mess made by Axl and Merck, which we can all agree is a really big mess. Plus, he'd have to be dealing with Slash and Duffs management and some negotiations would have had to been transpiring for A LONG TIME, which no doubt would have leaked down to us. 

GNR might be without a guitarist but I really doubt a bass player. And the fact that VR is still looking for a lead singer doesn't really tug at my balls saying this is some sort of cover to get Axl. And where would this put Dave in the situation? VR is his band, too. And more than anything, like GNR is Axl's band, VR is THEIR band. They have control of THEIR careers and the music THEY want to make and I dont see anything that says they have any desire to put up with Axl's shit anymore.  And their minds, musicly speaking, are nowhere near each other. Not anymore.

And I've never heard Slash or anyone else out right bash Axl in the past. They've actually been pretty nice to each other... Besides the whole slash showing up at Axl's house thing... But Slash praising Axl is nothing new.

And there was never any proof that what Scott said about a reunion was true, only that everyone involved pretty much said he was lying, among many other things when that statement was made. If you want to take Scott's word over Duff's, that's fine. But there is really no reason to deny an offer was made if it happend.

Nothing is going to convince people that a reunion isn't happening. I'm just looking forward to CD being on the horizon. If that happens I'll be happy. If a reunion happens instead... Meh, it'll be nice for nostalgia purposes. But my favorite incarnation of GNR ended when Buckethead and Brain left. The only thing I look forward to is hearing them on an album. If CD is not released, it will all leak eventually.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Halfin and Lars Ulrich talked about a 2006 Reunion tour (or some shows) back in 2005. Slash and Axl was working on a 'real' GN'R Best of, separately. Slash dropped the lawsuit. Visited Axl's house. As Halfin (if I remember correctly) later said, the papers were ready to be signed, but one of the lawyers found some dirty tricks (like signing away the rights to the back catalogue or something like that), so the reunion (Download Festival, 2006!) got nixed. Then Axl came with his infamous Slash bashing press release.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I somehow doubt that. There might have been some dirty tricks in the contracts, but signing away the rights to the back catalog would take major balls, that even Axl doesn't have, especially considering the fact that at this stage in the game if Axl was even working on stand-by power in his brain, which Axl Rose strikes me as a guy that OVER-analyzes what he's gonna eat for dinner let alone business, that he'd KNOW that they were gonna go over those contracts with a magnifying glass.

Unless the trick was intentionally put in there to try to intentionally sabotage the reunion, because he didn't really want it, which definitely sounds like a Rose-ism.

And as for the Press Release, considering the fact Slash could've just came out and said all of this, and instead LIED initially about being at Axl's house, then came back later and fessed up to being there, but not drunk... i'll take Axl's word on that one.

I guess it's all how you look at it. It's very complicated, but Slash & Duff would not be apart of a reunion supporting CD. They'd be apart of a reunion tour, and it would be marketed as such. Universal would simply release CD as "GUNS N ROSES new album!", but not coincide it with the reunion. It wouldn't be the Chinese Democracy World Tour, it'd be something else like Get In The Ring Again World Tour, or some shit like that. Which would make them a TON of money. Yes, they'd be helping Axl, but they'd also be helping themselves. Rock stars never have enough money. History has proven this. It just depends on what their 'price' is.

In a very strange, and sad in a way, I think the only way a reunion would last is if Axl was over a barrel, like now. Where it was basically told to him "we are not interested in your Guns N' Roses" and it was deemed unmarketable and nobody gave Axl the time of day. He'd cave.

Musically I could not seem them breaking new ground. I think they could record future albums together, as long as it followed an AC/DC-like mold of rehashing the sound of AFD & the Illusions, but beyond that - no. They are yes, many worlds apart.

I still think the ultimate direction, because of past rumors, have leaned to a reunion, and with Azoff on board it could go either way. He could be there for CD. He could be there for a reunion. He could be there for both. But a guy like Azoff would not be wasting his time with this band if there wasn't a future.

As for bandmates stuff, I disagree. I think they'd get back on stage together quicker, strictly business, strictly for the payout, before they'd EVER do it because "they're cool with each other again". WAY too much water under the bridge.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Guess where the conversation is... 

I'd say calling a long time member a troll 24 posts into your tenure is much more of an indication of a troll than anything I've done.  Maybe you need to establish your purpose here before slinging insults.

I would like to point you towards the gnr evolution mantra that states that every member regardless of number of posts is treated equally. Your elitist attitude is not going to gain you an more or less respect than the so called " n00b" with 1 post. At least that is the aim of the website. Just because someone cannot afford to put as much time into the community as another member does not mean that they do not put the SAME PERCENTAGE of their "Free" time into the community. In fact it could mean that they devote more of themselves to the forums.

Your attitude in this statement is theExact reason the Mantra is anchored on each page . It is an attempt to avoid this prejudice. If I as a person who cared I would report you however I believe this is all in good fun. But please in future keep in mind that (when it coms to GNR Evolution) your number of posts does not decide your rank in ths community.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Guess where the conversation is... 

I'd say calling a long time member a troll 24 posts into your tenure is much more of an indication of a troll than anything I've done.  Maybe you need to establish your purpose here before slinging insults.

I would like to point you towards the gnr evolution mantra that states that every member regardless of number of posts is treated equally. Your elitist attitude is not going to gain you an more or less respect than the so called " n00b" with 1 post. At least that is the aim of the website. Just because someone cannot afford to put as much time into the community as another member does not mean that they do not put the SAME PERCENTAGE of their "Free" time into the community. In fact it could mean that they devote more of themselves to the forums.

Your attitude in this statement is theExact reason the Mantra is anchored on each page . It is an attempt to avoid this prejudice. If I as a person who cared I would report you however I believe this is all in good fun. But please in future keep in mind that (when it coms to GNR Evolution) your number of posts does not decide your rank in ths community.

Furthermore I did not call you a troll I enquired into whether r not you are

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Are you still stalking me?

Anyway, back on topic: Someone said Axl didn't need to bring in a management firm to have a reunion, but actually, he did.  Slash and Duff weren't going back as contract players unless it was beneficial to them.  Negotiating with Axl doesn't work (ask the record company), so he needed to bring in someone that represented him, but gave Slash and Duff someone they could trust to deal with.  It makes all the sense in the world if you step away from it.  If the supposed '06 reunion was really on the table, there's no way Slash and Duff were going to trust Axl again without a middle man.

Board footer