You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Re: Help with Horror

Brett wrote:

If you have to write about these movies, it'd be most interesting to make sure to pick out movies that actually have something to write about. Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Nosferatu, The Evil Dead, Hellraiser, Halloween, Dracula, Horror of Dracula, Dawn of the Dead '78, The Exorcist, The Beyond, Suspiria, Rabid (albeit you'd have to look up some Canadian history with this one) and Texas Chainsaw and the original Wicker Man could all be interesting choices.

Basically if you steer clear of 80s sequel stuff (I am definitely not going on record saying it's bad, but I wouldn't necessarily want to write an essay about it when if I wasn't a hardcore fan of the genre).  The movies I list give a good balance between gothic, foreign, silent, gore, action, real-life inspirations and the occult. Not to mention, most importantly, powerful films.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Ah man,

Completely forgot about Fulci! True that, The Beyond is a wonderful little film, and definitely his finest hour.

Ruggero Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust (1980), the Blair Witch precursor, is also a must-see, as it coins the cannibal genre neatly.

Mario Bava also deserves a mention, Black Sunday (1960) is probably the one which is touted most.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
sic. wrote:

Ah man,

Completely forgot about Fulci! True that, The Beyond is a wonderful little film, and definitely his finest hour.

Ruggero Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust (1980), the Blair Witch precursor, is also a must-see, as it coins the cannibal genre neatly.

Mario Bava also deserves a mention, Black Sunday (1960) is probably the one which is touted most.

I would be sure to tell him to make sure he could handle Cannibal Holocaust before he stepped anywhere near it. wink

It's a personal favorite of mine, but that one may go a bit far for a guy who has only seen NOES movies.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Well, that's kind of the point in horror, eh? 16

Between that and Men Behind the Sun, he'll be finding the 80's slashers quite tame.

Axl4Life
 Rep: 28 

Axl4Life wrote:

I've purchased and watched so far:

The Shining
Nightmare on Elm Street Franchise
Friday the 13th
Dracula (1931)
Halloween (Original)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Ring

Think I need to watch more older ones though. hmm

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

You're doing very good so far though. That's a pretty well-rounded list. It depends how broadly you're looking to cover the genre. Maybe you'd like to stick in one specific direction? Like is you want to go with eurosleaze or slashers, or maybe even the classic Hammer or Universal flicks. Even the self-effacing '90s teen revival. Speaking of which, you might want to check out Scream just as a pop culture benchmark if nothing else. Otherwise, your list is fine so far. I dispute the inclusion of Gore Verbinski's Ring remake, but I suppose one could make the same argument for it that I would for Scream. Also look for either Hellraiser or the Karloff Frankenstein.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

I would go with these ten:

1.Nosferatu (the original, I don't recall the year but it is commonly regarded as the first horror film)

2.Frankenstein/Wolfman/Dracula - (counting these as one entry) not really my cup of tea but these original versions sort of paved the way for what would come later although they were much tamer by comparison to what was to come.

3.Night of the Living Dead 

4.Psycho

5.The Exorcist

6.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

7.Halloween

8.The Evil Dead

9.The Shining

10.Saw

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

I'm surprised Night Of The Living Dead wasn't on more people's lists. It may not be the first zombie movie, but it certainly was the most influential and spawned a whole new sub-genre of horror movies. Dawn of The Dead, Day of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Fulci's Zombi, etc. Nearly every zombie movie out there follows the same basic pattern where a small group of survivors have to board up a house/mall/etc. and survive the night while wave after wave of zombies try to get in - which they eventually will.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I personally didn't offer anything in the way of a real list, just broad guidelines for what he was trying to go for. The best of Romero's Dead cycle is Day of the Dead, and the best zombie movie overall is The Return of the Living Dead.

Board footer