You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Re: To Bucket, GNR is a 'dirty word'

Brett wrote:
Saikin wrote:

In my opinion, Robin can't say shit about Bucket.  His image was just as weird during 2002, if not weirder in my opinion.

Robin isn't even good enough to play in a cover band of Adler's GNR cover band. I am not usually a fan of Buckethead's style of music, but the guy won me over. It's similar to the old stuff at a fundamental level, but it's different. I think he and Axl were great and he could have been the new Slash, but Axl went and pissed it all away.

I would like to say Robin was mad that a guy in a KFC bucket could outplay him no problem, but I can outplay Robin no problem and I can't even play a chord. Robin's inclusion in GNR is uplifting in a way; it proves everyone has a shot at being a Guns N' Roses guitarist. Inspiring, indeed.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I love Bucket's work, haven't heard much of his other stuff but GNR and The Big Eyeball in The Sky impressed me.

The question I had, is what did he expect when he got involved with Axl? He's hardly renowned for being 'normal' or 'easy to work with' or even releasing albums regularly

I really hope we hear more of Bucket's contributions on future albums.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I spoke to Tommy once and the unpleasant remarks about Bucket coming from him was told to a group of GNR fans before one of his solo shows, including me. Mind you, I was the first guy to mention Bumblefoot to him..like..ever, and I take pride in it! He had no idea who he was at the time and told me that he would probably be filled in when he came back to LA. This was 2004.

Anyway, I regret writing that review and including what he said about Bucket, but at the time it didn't really feel to me as there was something he wanted to hide. He was quite clear and spoke more about it than we pushed him to do. I think he, like Robin, did not like him and felt the band worked much better without him. I won't go further into it now, but one of his remarks were quite nasty and went along with the "poo" thing that Bucket liked the smell of. Only this time in his own bucket. tongue

When that's said, Buckethead was the best guitar player GNR have ever had. Too bad he was a bit on the odd side. I think Axl is odd enough for the whole band. Can't have two people like that tongue

nugdafied wrote:
DCK wrote:

Buckethead was the best guitar player GNR have ever had.

And by no means do I mean this as a disrespect to Buckethead, but come back & tell me when Bucket writes the next WTTJ intro, or for that matter, come back and say that shit when he writes a SCOM intro & solo. Come back and say that shit when Bucket sells bazillions of records worldwide. Bucket is a avant garde guitarist to the bone, but he most definitely not the best GNR guitarist.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Why would I? That is my opinion and I can have that opinion no matter what if you bring in WTTJ, SCOM or whatever. I can bring in Colma or Nottingham Lace or whatever of his solo albums and slam in on the table and say "this shit is better than a fucking SCOM intro written as a joke". I think SCOM is a crappy song and wish they would never bother to play it ever again. That is MY opinion and you bringing that into the discussion doesn't mean much to me. His TWAT solo is in my opinion so much better than any SCOM solo it's not a competition. Did you notice the "in my opinion"?.

You don't have the right to decide anyones opinion and certainly not mine.

That Knocking on heavens door solo or his amazing Nightrain solos was never done better.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

my guess would be all of the following...

1. not being the main and/or only lead guitarist while touring and recording.

2. having to record certain things over and over and over and over to make it "perfect."

3. not releasing material.

4. working with a band that is over-producing music.

5. being pressured into "hanging around" with no signs of anything of substance occuring in the near future.

6. being made the fall guy for a failed tour.

bucketfan
 Rep: 30 

bucketfan wrote:

From Saul over at buckethead.tk;

Just one part of the reason Bucket left -

" When we did our first show in Vegas, Robin and Buckethead didn't know each other at all. You've got two lead guitar players trying to kill each other with their abilities. [...] I think they can be cordial to each other, that whole kind of thing, but when they're actually playing, it gets that kind of alpha male thing going, like 'Who's the real lead guitar player?"

Bucket was thought to be THE lead player and then days before they took the stage robin walks back into the fold like he never left. Guess who had guitar parts he worked hard on re-recorded by a FAR inferior player? That's right.

Theres more. It will all come out with time.

With Finck gone that's one less obstacle for Buckets return in GNR.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Fuck yeah. I like that post bucketfan. Karma for you.

I don't have anything against Robin at all, and he's a very capable player with decent stage presence... but Buckethead is freakin' Buckethead. That dude has a role on a Slash-level.

Robin never stood a chance at the alpha role when Bucket came in. Even Ron, Bucket's replacement, pretty much owns Robin on stage.

A Ron/Bucket combo... good God, I drool at the thought.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Fuck yeah. I like that post bucketfan. Karma for you.

I don't have anything against Robin at all, and he's a very capable player with decent stage presence... but Buckethead is freakin' Buckethead. That dude has a role on a Slash-level.

Robin never stood a chance at the alpha role when Bucket came in. Even Ron, Bucket's replacement, pretty much owns Robin on stage.

A Ron/Bucket combo... good God, I drool at the thought.

Although I wish that would happen, I don't think it will cause it'll be another alpha male war going on.  But I wish Bucket would come back.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't think so actually. I don't think Ron is THAT kind of player. He just there for the music and fans imo. He feeds off of it.

He comes across as a guitar hero, but in a very refreshing 'humble' way. Could be wrong, but he doesn't strike me as a very egotistical person.

I do think it's quite interesting that this album is finally being released, and Ron has just as much of a contribution as Robin, with Bucket taking the cake, and that Robin is staying with NIN and not returning.

Could it be that Bucket returning was always apart of the plan, and Ron's strong ability basically forced Robin out of the masterplan?

Just something to chew on.

Board footer