You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: What songs would work best live?

I keep hoping the official site will announce a "Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy Concert" soon in which Axl and the current band will perform the entire album live.  (And then for the encore they can pay GnR's Greatest Hits to please the fairweather fans who only want to hear AFD).   Pink Floyd and The Who used to do that.  Perform their latest album in its entirety and in sequence. 

The problem as I see it is although most the songs on CD would work live (we've already heard a half dozen performed).  The majority just don't sound right next to the GnR classics.   Going from "It's So Easy" to "Better" and from "You Could Be Mine" to "IRS" never has really worked.  If GnR does tour next year I think the following should be included in the set:
Chinese Democracy (as show opener)
Shackler's Revenge (in place of "Live and Let Die")
Better (as encore)
The Blues (works well before or after November Rain)
There Was A Time (show closer)
Sorry (should have been performed back in 2006)
This I Love (Axl should have played a portion of this instead of that "I'm An Asshole" piano bit in 2002). 

As far as the rest of the songs, I'm not sure how "If The World," "Catcher In The Rye," and "Prostitute" could be pulled off live.  "Madagascar" has been over-played since 2001 and could easily be dropped.  And "Riad" and "Scraped" just arent' that great IMO.

It would be awesome to have a "Chinese Democracy" concert though, with Axl and the current band plus an orchestra and special guests Buckethead and Robin Finck.  I'm not holding my breath though.  I get the feeling Axl is kicking back enjoying his Best Buy album advance money.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

lol, special guests.. they`d have to be stealthy ninjas to get past security..

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

CD (show opener would be awesome)
Shackler's (would work as a mid-set song, maybe as an alternate)
Better (will become a standard imo)
Street of Dreams (mid-set song, enjoyable, because it allows Dizzy & Axl both to shine)
If The World (this will be very cool live imo)
TWAT (encore song, maybe before PC)
Catcher (might be better if this one stayed unique to the studio)
Scraped (same with Catcher)
Riad (retire it, been played since 2001)
Sorry (mid-set song, could be CD's Civil War)
I.R.S. (retire it)
Madagascar (an alternate to TWAT, only to be played when TWAT isn't, encore song)
This I Love (should be played as an opening to November Rain, with Axl on piano)
Prostitute (initial set closer, before encore)

Here's my idea for a 2009 set list (trying to imagine what Axl might pick and the audience could tolerate). I'd exlude the half dozen band member solos:
Chinese Democracy
Mr. Brownstone
It's So Easy
I.R.S.
Don't Cry
Sweet Child O Mine
Shackler's Revenge
You Could Be Mine
The Blues
This I Love (intro only)
November Rain
My Michelle
Night Train
Sorry
Civil War
Patience
There Was A Time

ENCORES:
Welcome To The Jungle
Better
Paradise City

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

GNRBABY wrote:

^ This sounds reasonable

If it where my fantasy I'd include a guest song w/ Izzy "14 years" He could come out and do that song like Baz did My Michelle in 2006... Perhaps Izzy could open for GNR...

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

"New" songs:

IRS
Prostitute
CD
Sorry
Shackler's
The Blues
This I Love
If The World

Chinese Democracy tour already happened - didn't it?

Board footer