You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Is "Sorry" Axl's F.U. to the fans?

First time I heard "Sorry" I thought "this is probably about Slash" but after listening to it a few times I'm thinking it's Axl's big "fuck you" to his disgruntled fans.   Particularly on various internet fan forums.   
Exs:
"You like to hurt me.  You know that you do." 
"You don't know why I won't act the way you think I should."
"You thought they'd make me behave and submit.  What were you thinking because I don't forget."   
"You don't know why I won't give in.  To hell with the pressure I'm not caving in."  (about releasing this damn record)

"You talk so much.  You said I do.  Difference is nobody cares about you."  (people endlessly criticising new GnR on message boards) 
"You got all the answers.  You know everything.  Why nobody asked you.  Is a mystery to me." 
"You tell them stories they'd rather believe.  Use and confuse them.  They're numb and naive." 
"I'm sorry for you.  Not sorry for me.  You don't know who in the hell to or not to believe." 
"It's harder to live with the truth about you then to live with the lies about me." 
"Nobody owes you.  Not one goddamn thing.  You know where to put your 'shut up and sing.'" 

And so on...
Seems like he's describing our whole wait for Chinese Democracy and all the so called negativity on the message boards.  How for a decade we had no clue who to trust or believe when it came to the status of the record and the band. 

What do you all think?   It wouldn't be too surprising coming from a guy who's always treated his fans like shit.  Of course if he ever admitted "Sorry" was a message to his fan base he would officially commit career suicide.

But it's funny after hearing that song I kind of took it personal like "Damn Axl.  That really hurt.  Sorry I lost faith man!"

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

I was listening to the album last night on a long ride back home and when I listened to Sorry this same idea honestly came to my mind as well.  It REALLY does sound more like he is talking to "us" rather than Slash.  Can't say I truly blame him.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Nah, Sorry is about Slash.

Shackler's Revenge is the FU to the fans imo.

Only W. Axl Rose is enough of a fucking loon to write a hate song against his fans.

Agreed.  I do believe this is probably to us.  Lord knows he's been torn apart on these boards for years.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Shackler's I think is inspired partially by the fans, and Sorry could be, however I still think it's mainly a dig at Slash. Probably both us and Slash. And Steph too.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It's possible but I don't see any stronger case that it is about Slash than it is about the fans.  I'd be glad to hear both sides of the argument supported by lyrics.  Right now I lean more toward it being to the fans.

Gunslinger wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It's possible but I don't see any stronger case that it is about Slash than it is about the fans.  I'd be glad to hear both sides of the argument supported by lyrics.  Right now I lean more toward it being to the fans.

Some of the lyrics read like they were inspired by the attitude of the moderators over at the HTGTH message board.
Imagine Axl posting a message over there and saying:
Dear Fans: 
RE:  Personal attacks against me and my behavior and personal life: 
"You like to hurt me.  You know that you do.  You don't know why I won't act the way you think I should."
"You talk so much.  You said I do.  Difference is nobody cares about you."
"You got all the answers.  You know everything.  Why nobody asked you.  Is a mystery to me." 
"It's harder to live with the truth about you then to live with the lies about me." 

RE:  The delays with Chinese Democracy: 
"You don't know why I won't give in.  To hell with the pressure I'm not caving in." 
"Nobody owes you.  Not one goddamn thing.  You know where to put your 'shut up and sing.'" 

RE:  About false news stories and rumors surrounding the band: 
"You tell them stories they'd rather believe.  Use and confuse them.  They're numb and naive." 
"I'm sorry for you.  Not sorry for me.  You don't know who in the hell to or not to believe." 

Love
Axl big_smile

*** Personally I doubt it was written about Slash since it came out it was created in 2004 (before Buckethead left the band).  And Slash's late night visit didn't happen until 2006 and his bio didn't come out until last year.  I thought maybe it could be a response to Scott Weiland's tirade in 06.  Who knows.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

There's also the line

"Nobody owes you one god damn thing"

That line is pretty much aimed at the fans.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I've always thought of it aimed at Slash and co, the media, and us.

I cant dig that that song yet, I like the music but the lyrics are hard to appreciate. That "kick your ass" line is kinda sad.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

imo

Shackler's = fans
Better = in general, about everyone
Street = Steph
Scraped = "we will prevail" anthem
Sorry = Slash
I.R.S. = this could be a new-Axl vs. old-Axl song
Madagascar = media
This I Love = could be about someone, I still think it's unrequited love like Rain & Estranged

All of these songs have hidden messages imo. But like a Rain, Estranged, Brownstone, Bad Obsession - it's what you make of it as the listener. It's subjective.

Board footer