You are not logged in. Please register or login.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Re: Thoughts On "Excuses"

Considering the fact the album is falling in behind Kanye, The Killers & Nickleback in most European countries, not just the U.S., shows that this is a worldwide issue. Axl has nowhere to run now for acceptance. It's no longer an 'America only' issue.

Weren't those european numbers only partial week sales for GnR?

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

It isn't a good enough album. It's that simple. Of course people here and other forums will disagree with me but its time to wake up and face the music. It just isn't that good to be the blockbuster it needed too be. Half the songs should not have been on the album because of the leaks. I mean with all the material those 14 are the best? This was suppose to be the big comeback album and it just falls short.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

It's not that it's a bad album. It just lacks the final punch which never come.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

BLS-Pride wrote:

It isn't a good enough album. It's that simple. Of course people here and other forums will disagree with me but its time to wake up and face the music. It just isn't that good to be the blockbuster it needed too be. Half the songs should not have been on the album because of the leaks. I mean with all the material those 14 are the best? This was suppose to be the big comeback album and it just falls short.

I emphatically disagree with this. It is a very good album and has received very good marks from the critics (check metacritic and some of the best reviews have come from the major media mags/sites). One could argue there are not many singles on this album, but there have been great albums not dominated by one off singles which have sold very well over a long period of time.

I think there is skepticism toward Axl and this new band as well bias among older fans. Promotion and appearances can cure these ills and allay fears.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I'm 23. And it's not any fears or ills. Don't get me wrong I love certain songs on the album and certain parts to basically ever song. I just don't think it's strong enough in the public's mind that they will accept it. It's a strong album but it has it's moments where it's like why would you do that? It's great to experiment outside of what you have previously done but sometimes it just doesn't work. Chinese Democracy is just that in some cases. I have read all the reviews and I agree with some of their comments and some really bias and seems too nice and others are just blind hate. I don't know if the record has the staying power to sell over time. I could be wrong. Would an Axl appearance spark something up? I think some live performances would gain a little more interest. If there is something better waiting to be released the quicker the better.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think that's the interesting thing about this album. For years, I expected critics to just slaughter CD. They didn't. That's the shocking thing. The majority of current-GN'R fans are thrilled with the album, as I am, some calling it the best since AFD. Critics have been overwhelmingly positive. And i'm not just talking about the small ones, i'm talking about big heavyweights when it comes to these rock mags. Diehards & critics really like this album, and even most musical peers to Axl have been very supportive.

But it's fallen on deaf ears, and closed wallets to the casual listener/buyer. And that's mainly because it's an album for the fans. Epics (other than Rain) were NEVER respected by the casual audience. They were always deemed overly sappy, over produced, self indulgent, bloated, bigger than life rock epics. Like steak, lobster & champaign for the ears. That was Axl's thing. His love for many things and presentations, similar to the likes of Elton John & Freddie Mercury. Only the diehard fans, Axl fans specifically had respect for that.

This album doesn't have that kind of single to just throw it into the universe huge. And i'm sure Axl doesn't care, because he made the record HE wanted to make.

But the record company does care. I just don't want the man to fall into Sebastian Bach oblivion.

Oh, and great points by the way DCK.

WeTheLiving
 Rep: 10 

WeTheLiving wrote:

Its nice to come to a board where dissent is not deleted, im sure you know the board of which i speak. Ive waited for 10 years to post on a GNR board. I told my self to wait until the album is dropped to  render an objective judgement This album simply is not in the league as AFD and UYI. It does not sound like a cohesive band. No Matter how talented and technically proficient individual musicians may be-THIS DOES NOT MAKE A BAND. This will be the lesson of this album. You cant force chemistry out of a group of musicians. I think Fink was a good choice  but most of the other solos sound horribly out of place. The songs seem like they were forced to a certain length without purpose.

For example, "This I love" is great skeleton for a GNR song. But it needs the rest of the real GNR.  Does anyone  else notice that the solo in this song starts out ok, but after a point its like "why is this solo still going on?" A long solo is great if its long for a point, but it just keeps going and never says anything else in the extra length. Its as if there is this equation in the album  that says "Length equals epic" But it sounds like length for lengths sake  . Its the same thing for "Madagascar." The  MLK speech is just too much, its covering up a good guitar solo. Its as if the album consist of 3 minute songs stretched to 6 or 9 minutes just for that sake.

I think after this initial "pop" in sales due to promotion and the 10 year hype built up it will sink due to this material. This wont even sell as much as contraband, there I lived through the oringinal GNR, this album doesnt have the reckless vibe that said "this is a once in a life time rock and roll band."  Im not being negative just for to be so-there is just no logical reason based on this material that this album will take off, this first 2 week pop is it.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

i think it's a very good album.. having said that.. there aren't any "singles"... maybe better... but that's a stretch. chinese democracy is too deep for it's own good... unless the general public begins to develop a taste
for music that isn't dreck... this record will struggle to go platinum. i want it to do well... i just don't have faith in people having the ability to be patient and open their minds/tastes enough to appreciate what CD has to offer. i would be overjoyed if i was wrong.. but i doubt i am

WeTheLiving
 Rep: 10 

WeTheLiving wrote:

I agree the album is good per se. I think AXL should have started anew and started an entire new band.  Using the GNR name has too many implications that are inescapable. If he would have done that i think this material would be recieved differetly, as Axl's new avant gardish rock band. This record does have its merits, ive enjoyed listening to it, theres just this feeling that this, starting some where years ago, all went down wrong. But, depsite the merits of the album, i still maintain it lacks a band-like cohesiveness that cant be forced, and is the hallmark of all great rock bands. All in all, i think axl worked hard on this and accomplished a lot, it just sounds like hes trying to be an entire band and he isnt.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Good points WeTheLiving.

I mean when you listen to CD, you don't hear "band". You don't hear a working unit. You just hear a bunch of takes, slapped together to make a song, which makes it feel very 'manufactured'.

But then again, in some ways, that was an issue that plagued the overproduction of the UYI albums too. So I won't lay that all on CD's doorstep.

Board footer