You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 111 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

bigbri wrote:

I’m on book 2. It’s a very slow buildup to where it is going, I assume, based on the series.

Somehow, the battles in book 1 were more exciting to read than watch.

Lol, because the show knocked Tyrion out for the entire battle to save money.

misterID
 Rep: 454 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

misterID wrote:

The battles were never that great in the show until the invasion of Kings Landing, though, and that was because of the Dragon fire explosion. Hardhome was the first battle that made me say wow.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 327 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

The battles were never that great in the show until the invasion of Kings Landing, though, and that was because of the Dragon fire explosion. Hardhome was the first battle that made me say wow.

Jon Snow at his finest.

bigbri
 Rep: 325 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I’m on book 2. It’s a very slow buildup to where it is going, I assume, based on the series.

Somehow, the battles in book 1 were more exciting to read than watch.

Lol, because the show knocked Tyrion out for the entire battle to save money.

yeah that was pretty unfortunate .....

misterID
 Rep: 454 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

misterID wrote:

Am I off the mark or is Tyrion more the size of Vern Troyer (mini me) than an average dwarf? You really don't get the full scope of how tough his life is physically than you do in the novel. His bow legs are kind of twisted and gives him fits just walking. I feel awful for him, but it makes him that much more impressive.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 111 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

misterID wrote:

Am I off the mark or is Tyrion more the size of Vern Troyer (mini me) than an average dwarf? You really don't get the full scope of how tough his life is physically than you do in the novel. His bow legs are kind of twisted and gives him fits just walking. I feel awful for him, but it makes him that much more impressive.


I can't speak to real life dwarfism, but I believe they're generally not proportionate like normal people are.  Vern Troyer was slightly above 2 feet in height if I recall, so no, Tyrion wouldn't be similar.  His head was normal size, but his torso and limbs were relatively small.  I think Peter Dinklage is a good comparison save book Tyrion wasn't nearly as handsome and had a black and green eye respectively.  But that's the beauty of books; you create the character in your mind's eye.

Just keep an open mind as you experience his character arc in later books.  He's not the hero the show kept him to be.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 111 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

You guys are making me want to read them for a 3rd time in hopes I finish by the time TWOW comes out, but I just have so many other books in my que.

misterID
 Rep: 454 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

misterID wrote:

Notes so far, I really like Sansa in the book and her odd attraction to The Hound.

I think the show did a better job with Ned wounding his leg fighting with Jamie. A horse fell on him?

George's writing really makes me hungry.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 111 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

misterID wrote:

Notes so far, I really like Sansa in the book and her odd attraction to The Hound.

I think the show did a better job with Ned wounding his leg fighting with Jamie. A horse fell on him?

George's writing really makes me hungry.

Yea, a lot of fans think Sansa ends up with the Hound in the books.

While I agree the action scene was fun, didn’t they avoid crossing swords in the books? I always appreciated that narrative, because it’s absurd of Jamie to attack Ned Stark, the hand, in public. If he won, Robert would execute him or face war. Tywin would have been furious, but he’d have been outmatched with no allies to support him.

Plus in the show, Jamie shows honor when Ned is stabbed from behind. This is contrasted in the show, when Ned kills Arthur Dayne after Howland stabs him in the back.  This was a huge moment because the nature of Arthur and Ned’s fight is something Ned never talked about in the book as you know. So when Bran comments that Ned claimed he beat Dayne, it was a huge deviation that never added to the story now that we’ve seen the finale.

I appreciate the level of realism the books bring to the story. Arya won’t be stabbed in the gut 3 times, fall into raw sewage, and run like the terminator 24 hours later in the book.

misterID
 Rep: 454 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

misterID wrote:

Yeah, Arya actually feels like a little kid here and not a Mary Sue. Both girls are far more likable. Rickon is basically a toddler.

Jamie orders Ned's men killed, then rides off, they never fight. The hints that Lyanna is Jon's mom are pretty clear. Maybe the show is clouding my head here, but when Ned talks about the promise (which he brings up a lot in his internal thoughts) and talks about how much it cost him, it's right there.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB