You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

[youtube] https://youtu.be/3xSeUl66rXM[/youtube]

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Do Sansa or Snow that Littlefinger was behind the assassination attempt of Bran and the death of Ned?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Not yet, but that could play a factor when Little finger meets Mel.

johndivney wrote:

Also, I thought the battle scene was supremely well delivered, by some distance the best on the show (with hardhome a distant second). I think the key thing may have been dropping Neil Marshall from directing these episodes, I was never convinced or wowed by his productions & I think whoever this guy who is doing the episode 9 stuff last few years has, to borrow a phrase, raised the bar. The way they shot all the various stages, Jon snow being isolated & arrows coming down, the fight itself, snow being nearly trampled to death - it was on a different level to what we had seen before, except maybe hardhome had hinted at what was possible.

johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Was that a rushed episode or what? We all know Hollywood is ignorant of battle mechanics, but that whole killing off your own cavalry just so Ramsey can have his Longshanks moment was taking it too far. The stacking of bodies was like something out of a cartoon. First that would never happen, and it would take a lot more than a battle with about 10.000 men to get that high.

What actually happened story wise was good I suppose, but the action was simply crap.

No, what actually happened story wise was preposterous, lame & crap, but the action was simply great fun.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah don't get me wrong I love and enjoy the the show - I'm just starting to feel it's begun to pander to the audience and to me that is the downfall of many a good show - Lost for example.

johndivney wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

[youtube] https://youtu.be/3xSeUl66rXM[/youtube]

How do you listen to that?! I found it painfully irritating.

Monkey, that's just cause you're sexist white guy clinging to a world that no longer exists.

Seriously tho, there is truth to that however flippant I may be. These things once were aimed that guys like you n me, white guy's say 18-35. But the market has shifted substantially, we're no longer the target audience. Things are sold now to white women. It's called progress. (How's that for flippant?)

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Cinematically this probably was superior, although I seriously loved Hardhome. I think the thing with Hardhome was it came as a surprise (to me at least) which added to the enjoyment.

I remember LF betraying Ned, how was he involved in Brans accident, I'd forgotten that? Also didn't he help poison Joffrey?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Monkey, that's just cause you're sexist white guy clinging to a world that no longer exists.

So I'm told .... wink

johndivney wrote:

Seriously tho, there is truth to that however flippant I may be. These things once were aimed that guys like you n me, white guy's say 18-35. But the market has shifted substantially, we're no longer the target audience. Things are sold now to white women.

I must say the older I get in general the more I feel out of the demographic stuff is designed for - things like music and movies it can be quite noticeable.

For example my wife wanted to check out "The Scorch Trials" so we went to see that at the movies last year. Neither of us got it at all. It had high production value but despite being a scifi and so on which I've traditionally liked - it just didn't connect with me at all.

So yeah I take your point!

I also think though that some shows are victims to their own success.  Like i was saying about "lost" - it was fun for a few years by having a few twists and turns - then it got famous for having mysteries and shocking "wtf" twists - then it was so successful that people would speculate on the outcome for years in advance then ask the writers in interviews and so on. As a reaction to that the show started to have more twists than before, and it was obvious certain plot points were re-written so as to come up with something that wasn't the well known fan-theories on the ending. We winded up with a mess.

I feel Game of Thrones is similar - it's getting interactive. It's become famous for killing people, and nudity - so they've increased both. Then there's been a reaction to the violence, rapes,  and male-behaviour - and since that became a trending thing on facebook - it's like they've decided to increase the girl-power and the penis shots and whatever else.

I'm really enjoying it but I just feel it is succumbing to the peer pressure to conform to the audience's opinion of how the story should evolve. It's made worse that the source material isn't complete so there's room to move too.

I ask myself - if the show was a cult thing - followed by only a small number of people late at night on a small cable channel would the plot-line be the same? would sana's dialogue be the same? Would tyrion still be alive?  I feel the fact it's this worldwide phenomenon is causing them to write it based on what we want to see.

AtariLegend wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I remember LF betraying Ned, how was he involved in Brans accident, I'd forgotten that? Also didn't he help poison Joffrey?

He killed Joffery and had Lysa kill Jon Aryn which starts the events that lead to war in the first place.

Joffery btw was behind the attempted assassination of Bran.

Board footer