You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

In the moment, it was a fantastic episode.  Seeing those dragons finally face off against the Night King and the Others is something I've been waiting a decade to see.  But that nonsense of Gendry running to Eastwatch, dispatching a raven over 1000 miles and Dany flying that 1000 miles in the span of the day is just too much.  Yes, it was fantastic cinematography.  But this is an intelligent series.  More so than LOTR, Star Wars or any other mainstream fantasy tale.  They're doing damage to the show's legacy when they do shit like this. 

I'm really hoping they get their heads out of their asses for season 8.  They chose to avoid the book devices that allow instant communication, like the glass candles.  So they need to own that and stay within the rules of the world they created.  Killing a white walker and all of the wights dying seems like a load of shit to me.  And the wights in this episode were more like The Walking Dead than Game of Thrones.  It's just too much fan service.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

t3_6u2rib?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fv6y0c2x7b4gz.jpg&token=AQAAckWcWZcQGV6GfNUWYUYyDAg_09LI1o3Vh5NWpQSFkTrX5at1&app_name=mweb2x

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They needed at least one more episode to properly build Jon and Dany's relationship.

Randall Flagg

The more I think on it the less happy I am with the episode.  It was suspense the entire episode, so in the moment it was great.  But it just comes across as a poor fan fiction with the plot holes.  We've waited to see Dany's dragons face off against the Others for over 6 years, and this was just disappointing after further thought.

It was the same with the Star Wars prequels.  Exiting the theater I was on cloud 9.  But then you think how corny child Anakin was, how cartoony Yoda fighting Dooku was, and how stupid dying of a "broken heart" was. With GoT, we had LF handing Sansa over to Ramsay, Arya being stabbed repeatedly in the abdomen only to fall into a sewer and not miss a beat as if she was Wolverine, and now a raven traveling 1000 miles and 3 dragons flying 1000 back in the span of 24 hours.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I saw the director of the episode has even acknowledged that they were seriously pushing it with plausability with timescales. He said they tried to keep it ambiguous as the permanent twilight of beyond the wall didn't really indicate how many hours/days had passed.

It was imo one of the best battle sequences they've done. Shame the mechanics of making it happen were a bit lazy.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I just feels to me that they are rushing to the end just to get it over with

I see no discernable reason so far why they needed to cut to 7 episodes this season and they have really dumbed things down to the point where characters are mere caricatures of who they are supposed to be...like things need to be stupid simple now that the end is near so they can push ratings

The jon / dany falling in love crap feels forced

The arya/sansa/LF storyline seems very contrived ... what reason do they have to suspect each other? Cuz they shared a meaningful look? Fuckoff with that

Lannisters have no support yet they manage to kill everything and everyone with ease to negate all advantage

I love the series up to season 5 finale...since then im losing faith more rapidly as each episode airs...i guess well see how the finale is...but id rather wait for the books if HBO just plans on continuing to rape the series of its integrity

misterID

misterID wrote:

I've heard that they're blowing the entire budget on the battles which is why they aren't making more episodes. The glaring issue is that George is no longer involved. How is it that films that run 120 minutes can accomplish more than what these writers can in 7 hours? These writers aren't going to be involved in the spinoffs.

I still enjoy the series but it's got me really hyped about getting into the books.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Watching again, wouldn't it make more sense if Cersi demanded proof of the dead which caused the hunt? I mean, it's a pretty shitty thing to ask. Why didn't the dragon Rhaegal come back for Jon? Shouldn't Jon have charged the Night King to help them escape? He could still fall through the ice. These are just a few things....

According to the leaker there was an easter egg in this last episode that's a spoiler for next season. Anyone got any ideas?

Randall Flagg

misterID wrote:

Watching again, wouldn't it make more sense if Cersi demanded proof of the dead which caused the hunt? I mean, it's a pretty shitty thing to ask. Why didn't the dragon Rhaegal come back for Jon? Shouldn't Jon have charged the Night King to help them escape? He could still fall through the ice. These are just a few things....

According to the leaker there was an easter egg in this last episode that's a spoiler for next season. Anyone got any ideas?

How would they know it was a spoiler for next season?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The show has gone a little Hollywood, but fuck, watching Dany fly in was so fucking badass.. We tend to over think things, I get it. I do too... But if you let some shit slide and don't nit pick the past 3 episodes have been amazing!

Board footer