You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: A question I have - Music industry related

Abbey_Road wrote:

To those who have read Slash's book, I have a question.

Towards the end, when he talks about VR, he says that they did a show and the show comprised of industry people and also fans.

Now, is this something bands do before they get signed?  Because Slash goes onto say that they did a week of wining and dining in NYC before they signed with Clive Davis and RCA.

I am just wondering if Axl and the new band had to ever go before just industry people to hear their songs live and maybe they didn't sound right or something and thus had the band go back and do finishing touches?

I also had that occurance come to mind on mygnr.com where that poster said they heard GNR songs come from an interscope office - kinda like an intimate listening party?

I am just trying to get a better  grasp of the music scene.  Bands tour to make money right?  And to tour without an album would definately mean it's strictly money they are in need of.  Could this be why GNR's set list was the same?  Slash said that he and VR just clicked on stage and the industry people loved the vibe.  Maybe these industry people know that GNR name will sell as well as AFD songs and UYI songs  but thought the new songs needed to be reworked?

Someone throw me a bone      16

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Re: A question I have - Music industry related

Seven wrote:

Yes, especially if you are shopping for the best deal. you want to generate a situation where you have multiple offers and you can chose the best terms or negotiate for better terms because you have generated interest in your band.

Guns and Roses has global draw through name recognition. Even a partially successful tour may be enough for the label... If they think a bad tour will distract from the record, I don't know, the guys at Interscope can be anal but in general they come much more from a Radio promotion background, at least the guys who started it did. Tour support I don't know if they are going to offer Ax that.

Keeping your name in the news, who was it that said "no such thing as bad press'?, Jagger maybe? But from a reputation of no show, the promoters are a different story...You have to prove personal responsibility. Lots of money on the lines and insurance issues with no shows...especially if you are using multiple promoters, in different countries or regions.

Basically by controlling the name he will recoup cost for the label, personally I think they are waiting for New NO-Copy technology... But that is just my jaded perspective on where the industry comes from....they have waited this long.. what the fuck do they care

Board footer