You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: New Tommy Article

Sky Dog wrote:

http://thephoenix.com/boston/music/1157 … TOPCONTENT

Bass in hand, Tommy Stinson has been part of two notorious and revered rock-and-roll legacies. Three decades ago, he was a founding member of the Replacements, Minneapolis's great punk hope. He was there for their raw 1981 debut, Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out the Trash, plus the boozed-up spectacle that was a 1986 Saturday Night Live performance, spats with leader Paul Westerberg, their early-'90s break-up, and the creation of dozens of stellar songs that defined college radio. Then in 1998, he added another lineage, replacing Duff McKagan in Guns N' Roses. His first contributions to be heard by long-suffering Guns fans were the bass lines to "Oh My God," from the End of Days soundtrack. For the next decade, Stinson rode shotgun beside Axl Rose in the money-sucking saga that was Chinese Democracy. Almost incredibly, he remains GNR's bassist.

Moody frontmen aside, his famous bands have little in common, but Stinson finds some common ground. "Initially, both bands were very much what rock and roll is about," he says over the phone from Philly. "What we did in the Replacements wasn't really all that different, except that they actually wrote together. There was a danger to it. It kind of comes from the drugs and alcohol and the way you see things when you start off. They're both similar in that very regard. Other than that, vastly different."

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

haha, always nice  to see stinson talk about gnr

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

30 years in the game, quite an acheivement 5

Really hope he hangs in there with GNR, but at the same time I can understand how frustrating it must be, its been a bit aimless.

I still feel there is good things to come, but beginning to wonder if the new GNR has peaked and it will dwindle away.
Its hard to pick out the peak of this new era, its all been so messy hmm

johndivney wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Its hard to pick out the peak of this new era, its all been so messy hmm

we're in a deep, dark valley..

at the bottom of a gaping chasm..

we've plumbed the depths..

lost in the abyss..

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

lol hardly wink

2010 was a good year, 2011 has just begun... we'll see what happens, I dont think its that much of a stretch to think there will be some gigs at least.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Did that new website of his ever appear?

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

From mygnr:

Tommy was also on WXPN 85.5 FM in Philly today and spoke about GN'R's 2010 tour. Anyone catch it? Some new tracks were debuted from his solo stuff.

If someone has this I'd appreciate an upload smile

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

Light of Day from the recent solo show

Board footer