You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Duff McKagan Says Taking Stage With Guns N' Roses Was Meant To Happen

RussTCB wrote:

removed

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
russtcb wrote:

That's probably my favorite of all discussions I've had with either random strangers or people I know about Chinese Democracy. It goes like this:

Them: Man, Chinese Democracy sucked!
Me: Oh yeah? Just curious, what exactly didn't you like about it?
Them: Oh, I haven't listened to it. But I'm sure it's horrible.
Me: Hmm, well check this out; (plays Better, CD, ITW or TIL)
Them: Wow, that ain't bad at all!

I had the most interesting arguments with this woman on Facebook about Axl and GNR. She threw out all kinds of odd arguments, and Chinese was of course shit.

Turns out she hadn't really heard Chinese, and that her knowledge of GNR was from 1991 and nothing further. It was the most wasted time on FB I ever had.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

CD was one of, if not the biggest album Geffen released that year. It sold over a million copies with a not so great roll out. CD II will see the light of day. UNI recouped all its money and made a profit, even though it could have made more.

johndivney wrote:

fwiw i was p high earlier & played TWAT & IRS & Maddy off of the album, probs for the first time since last summer & they sounded fucking amazing. i was so high i actually thought i heard tommy!
then i had to go and watch the football..
probs won't recapture that moment for a while now sad
i will try tho smile

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
misterID wrote:

CD was one of, if not the biggest album Geffen released that year. It sold over a million copies with a not so great roll out. CD II will see the light of day. UNI recouped all its money and made a profit, even though it could have made more.

How do you figure? it didnt even sell 1m in the US? And that 5m total number was a made up number, do we even know how many albums world wide CD sold? I am guessing it was closer to 3 total. That guy who quoted the 5m later admitted he pulled it out of his ass.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

My conversations went more like this:

Friend: (laughing) I hear GnR finally released CD.
Me:  Yep.
Friend: Is it any good?
Me: Not really, but there was one good song (plays TWAT)
Friend: Wow, that is pretty good.  Lets hear something else.
Me:  Lets not.

See?  I did my part to try to get people interested.

Sky Dog wrote:

CD actually sold about 600,000 to customers in the US but in reality sold 1.3 million because Best Buy bought them all and could not return them. It was a one way deal that completely bailed out Axl and Geffen. That is why it was certified platinum by RIAA...it SHIPPED more than a million. My best guess worldwide is that it sold between 3-4 million...probably closer to 3 million. They may have upped the numbers last year worlwide after all the touring.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I checked the lists during the European tour, and nobody felt the need to buy CD. They bought a shitload of GH though.

Sky Dog wrote:

I am just talking a small bump...nothing significant.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

If nobody likes it, they don't go back and look for their other music...they dismiss it without checking it out.

Yeah but I still think it makes people remember the brand in their heads.

For example. On the train home from soundwave I was wearing my new-gnr hoddie. There's this tipsy huge guy who's chatting to everyone.  Had to be like 6'5 and real solid. Apparently he's a promoter (not of soundwave but in general), and so he's talking about what was good at soundwave and asking everyone around about their favourite bands are and who he should try and bring over and so on. Not what you expect on my train line but hey.

Anyway so he sees my GNR top and asks if i saw them out here with korn. I start talking about how I did, and he soon asks me if I've heard chinese. So i tell him how I like it. Anyway, turns out he'd heard it on a plane or something and he's a dude like you buzz that doesn't really get it, so he goes on a rant about how it's not GNR and so on. I guess not surprising on the way back from a slash gig - although this dude was apparently going to soundwave to check out sevendust.

Anyway, I don't really have a point other than to say that if I guy like him for some reason doesnt have the old CDs hearing something they didn't like could make them top up. Or like if they do like it, they might also go top up.

Like to be honest, in these days of limited sales for everyone, I think what will sell the most back catalogue CDs for uni is simply the more times the phrase "Guns N Roses" is used in print - regardless of context - and new releaes make that happen.

Especailly with younger audience. Like I know growing up I checked out bands just from their prior rep. And i think GNR will be like that for kids today just like Led Zep was for me. And a new album will be a way to promote the old albums.

An example of what I mean is Iron Maiden. they have a new album out at the moment and are touring it - and if I go into my local store there's a ton of promo for that - but right beside it is every back cataloge release reissued. I'd never really got around to getting into maiden - so i bought "number of the beast" for $10 while I was there to see if I like em.

I could see Chinese 2 working like that as well. Some kid comes in and picks it up and also GH or AFD or whatever.

Board footer