You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Alternate artwork (NEW scans inside!)

One advantage of the release artwork is that it at least shows you who the musicians are. Axl's preferred version completely sidelines the band - no pics of Buckethead or Ron or Finck.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

i just noticed the credits of shackler`s revenge, catcher in the rye and prostitute are different compared to the released version. they left out finck on shackler`s, stinson, finck and reed on catcher and tobias on prostitute...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
huntermc wrote:

Wow, awesome scans, thanks! If they put this out tomorrow, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

It's not that special. I would only re-purchase it if all of the errors (even in Axl's version) were cleaned up, and maybe a second disc of remixes, demos, cutting room floor stuff, and/or some live cuts were thrown on it.

They'd still have to give me an incentive other than different liner notes. This is assuming it'd be full price.

Now if it was $2 bucks like it is now, then i'd just re-buy it for the hell of it.

elevendayempire wrote:

One advantage of the release artwork is that it at least shows you who the musicians are. Axl's preferred version completely sidelines the band - no pics of Buckethead or Ron or Finck.

I didn't really even think about that until now. Axl's big essay in comparison to the rest is really an egotistical impression, considering that even though his face is not splashed in it, there is that huge essay.

Instead of showing that gun painting, Axl could've used the essay part to show various shots of the band live from 2001-2002 & 2006-07, and incorporate everyone from the saga of CD, kind of like the middle part of the liner notes on the UYI albums.

WARose wrote:

i just noticed the credits of shackler`s revenge, catcher in the rye and prostitute are different compared to the released version. they left out finck on shackler`s, stinson, finck and reed on catcher and tobias on prostitute...

Wow, nice catch. Maybe Axl's were incomplete too?

If that's the case, that's absolutely inexcusable. As many years as he and Uni had to fucking get this album ready, and not only does Uni fuck up the liner notes, but Axl does too?

It would re-inforce the theory that the entire thing was a complete rush job, that Axl abandoned before it ever got started.

Sky Dog wrote:

The artwork on the alternate version way overshadows the need to show pictures of the 2000 people involved with the band and the writing of the album. I am happy with no pictures of anyone because really the band is Axl so there is no need to pretend that the bandmembers matter.

As for the credits, both versions are wrong as they are not as detailed as the true ascap writing credits.

I also enjoy the hand as the cover. Why? Because Axl is the hand...he is now Gnr and all the little people climbing on the hand represent the fallen musicians, producers, and engineers who came and went through the making of the album. Yep...the hand is perfect. A Chinese Democracy is what it was......:haha:

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I love how new band fans bellyache how every new era incarnation is "this is a band, time to accept it, and move on from the old days" - yet when it comes to Axl's ego and vain self-image taking a back seat to the people who helped create his vision, every new band fan goes, "fuck them, we all really know who the band is and that's Axl".

I actually think it's honest. I mean let's be honest, all of these guys we run around and listen to new Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver, Loaded, Adler's Appetite, Ju Ju Hounds, Starfuckers, Hookers n' Blow, etc. all correlate the same REAL Guns N' Roses that we chase the memory of.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I love how new band fans bellyache how every new era incarnation is "this is a band, time to accept it, and move on from the old days" - yet when it comes to Axl's ego and vain self-image taking a back seat to the people who helped create his vision, every new band fan goes, "fuck them, we all really know who the band is and that's Axl".

I actually think it's honest. I mean let's be honest, all of these guys we run around and listen to new Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver, Loaded, Adler's Appetite, Ju Ju Hounds, Starfuckers, Hookers n' Blow, etc. all correlate the same REAL Guns N' Roses that we chase the memory of.

Call a spade a spade.....NuGnr is Axl's Nine Inch Nails. Fine, but be straight forward and transparent.

Russ, I feel ya but too many hands went into this mix to claim what the "real" band was. What about Freese, Tobias...hell, Costanzo? Do they all get in the picture? Meh, this album and likely the follow up are Axl's baby. He should own up too it and move on.:/

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Well I think the ship for Axl selling the new band as a band is over. He had a chance in 2001 to kind of re-invent the wheel, but he didn't promote it enough, plus Robin & Bucket were not really talkers. Most people were getting their info from Richard, Tommy & Brain.

I think he would've had a shot with the amazing self-promoter/ambassador team that DJ & Ron could've been, but the fact that neither of them are on the same page with Axl, and the fact no one at all cares anymore, including many of the diehards - Axl's the only guy they can send out there.

Axl's lack of self-promotion killed any 'band' aspect they could've had. Even if the reunion were tomorrow, Axl would play it like he did in 1992 & '93, sending Slash & Duff out there to talk for him.

I don't see why a pic of the 2001 Rio III performance, the 2002 VMA performance, the 2006 Rock Am Ring performance, and a 2007 pic couldn't have sufficed the album pictures, with maybe a couple of shots of Costanzo & Axl in studio.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

In her defense, yes she could be a bandwagon DJ/Sixx fan, but the reality is - why would she know he was in GN'R?

Let's be honest - Guns N' Roses - hasn't done any kind of major-level promo and/or appearence under that name since the 2002 VMA's. Not only was a it a total disaster on Axl's end, but a half-different lineup - Axl, Robin, Bucket, Richard, Tommy, Brain, Dizzy & Chris. Plus, all of them look totally different in 2011 than they did 9 years ago (can't believe it's been that long).

GNR's total lack of promo makes them obscure. And it's been said over and over, only the geeks know what's up.

I remember going to those shows in 2006, and having to tell numerous fans an hour before the show that Buckethead was no longer in the band. These were diehards, who were totally freaking out of the loop. I'm yelling over at Ron, and the group beside me goes "why do you keep yelling at that roadie dude?"

Unreal

Board footer