You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Alternate artwork (NEW scans inside!)

johndivney wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

The fact that he hasn't started a solo effort proves that he has zero motivation to create something.

that's completely unfair

richard would prob be the first gnr band member i would get rid off if i had the power. i think he's totally superfluous & actually do agree his contribution to GnR is relatively lazy (& the fact he has tried to distance himself from the fanbase really was a dickhead move)
i even prefer that asshat ashba to 4tus

BUT, just because someone is a session player doesn't diminish their talent or aspirations. james burton, page, hendrix were all session men @ one time or another - & actually, in comparison to their careers 4tus released ORIGINAL material he created/wrote before any of them did in their respective careers. 4tus has released albums with his OWN bands a long fking time ago now, before he joined the Psychedelic Furs*

not, of course, that i'm comparing 4tus to those guys. i just think it's unreasonable to chastise a fine musician with that attitude. (i wonder whether your disdain for him is more born out of the axlite fans who believed the BS after BH left that 4tus was gonna be an amazing addition than his slight contributions to the GnR cause?)

off topic slightly - what's weird about this board is, tho i disagree with mikka on this (& especially his treatment of ali in this thread) there was another post of his i agreed 100% with recently... tho i can't remember where i saw it now.

*back on topic & going back to what Axlin said a few pages ago:

Being in a tribute band, regardless of the millions would get freakin' OLD to me after awhile. I wouldn't be able to look in the mirror.

You either record as a band, or you move on. jmho

again i think this a wildly unfair criticism. again think on james burton & the amount of dross he has played on & amount of tribute gigs he has played for the likes of roy orbison etc.
my point is: the important thing is not the validity of the players playing the music, it's the songs & the impact they have on the listener.

unfortunately for 4tus (or me), imo, his playing on songs that mean/meant a lot to me he more often than not spoils them slightly - that's due to his style of playing & his ideas, not due to him being lazy or not caring/being a money grabbing charlatan. knowwhatimean?

& what if tommy/BBF/4tus/frank/Mother Goose/Ashba & Frank suddenly decided they'd had enough of Axl's procrastination & collectively walked away. would you guys be happy then? Axl & Dizzy left standing because they're really the only 'true' members anyway?!
bollocks to that.
session musicians & replacements are more common in rock music than bands sticking together. it's just this abstract unattainable romantic notion of a band/gang of guys sticking by each other like a long sexless marriage - how many line-up changes did the stones go thru ffs. GnR is only strange as it's the frontman who held on - & really the lack of contributions to the bands discography aren't richard's/ashba's/tommy's nor BBF's fault: it's axl's fault those guys haven't been allowed to prove theyre more worthy of being in GnR.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Richard Fortus is in his mid 40s, not like those you mentioned. They played as session musicians when they were young, unknown and din't have the chance. But they were creating all the time and it surfaced some years later. Hell, Jimi was only 27 when he died. Page was like 25 when he started Led Zeppelin.
Robin's rich enough not to have anything to worry about money wise and he's old enough to finally to do something besides playing other people's songs. He has a lot of time, cause doesn't need to do too much to get paid, as Guns N' Roses is mostly inactive. Yet (as Robin or Dizzy, but the later may release some solo stuff sometime in the future) he doesn't try to create anything. He's playing in cover bands or joining other bands as a session guitarist performing other people's songs.

I see zero motivation there. Music is about creation, but he's satisfied with playing Stray Cat Blues, Boys Are Back In Town and Nightran over and over again. He's a talented performer and touches the guitar quite well, I like his interpretations. But hey, when a 13-year old kid begins to play guitar he'll be trying to write someting in a month! Anyone who plays guitar or any instrument can tell that ideas popping up all the time they're playing, even when they are playing other people's songs! How can someone with Richard's talent and skills not to want to be remembered by his own right? How can he have no drive to write a fuckin' solo album like Tommy and release it at least via Internet? It's not the 60s when you needed a record deal to have an album, it's 2011. Nobodies upload tons of stuff @ youtube, just for the sake of it. Richard sin't in BH's league, but he'd be able to coem up with a tasty rock album, I'm sure he has the qualities.

Some of the current players' lack of motivation to do something creative in the silent periods of GN'R is just shocking.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Btw that statement I made was not a criticism of the new band...

I was simply stating how I would feel in the same situation. Regardless of the money, covering other's songs for a living just doesn't interest me, even on a GN'R level. No matter what the check. That's how ARTISTS feel. And not just PLAYERS.

Even if Slash & Duff called me tomorrow to front VR, i'd sing a few GN'R songs, a couple VR songs, but i'd want to hammer out a new album and a new re-invention pretty damn quick.

jmho

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I was comparing the released booklet to this alternate one last night and cant believe how amaturish the one we all got was. I was pissed off about it from the beginning, but looking at them side by side, I was fucking right to be. Its really obvious how haphazardly thrown together it really was, the mind boggles that such an important album could be treated so  carelessly. I've said it before, its so bad that I could quite believe that someone somewhere with an agenda, was actually quite dilligent in making sure this version was the one released.

Anyhoo...one more thing I noticed that was different was, in Axls thank yous, the very first paragraph is missing in the official release. Bit of a glaring ommission since it contains what a lot of us were a bit disapointed not to see in the official release - a wee nod to the fans.

"Axl Thanks:

Everyone who was ever supportive, (and in no particular order whatsoever...) family, those who made our house a home, freinds, our fans around the world, everyone involved's family's for their understanding, patience and support, anyone who ever came out to any of the shows, let us on the radio, gave us the benefit, our business team and associates, our road crew."

Awwww big_smile

Sky Dog wrote:

It pisses me off to the point where I am considering just throwing the cd in the trash. I did try to sell it, but the used cd store already had a copy. I will likely toss it one day or give it to a friend who I think would enjoy it and not care about the artwork.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I threw my first booklet away in disgust, bought another copy of the CD last year cause the other one started skipping, and last night was the first I bothered to take the booklet out the case and open it up.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

The best way to avoid the dissapointment of the artwork is to never have bought the album tongue I've never seen the artwork other than from pictures on here. Never really read any of it though to be honest.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Does anyone have HQ copies of the liner notes in the "AXL INTENDED" release?

I'd love to download and print them on HQ paper, and just make my own ACTUAL CD book art, and just 'misplace' the original. (I won't throw it away. It's still apart of historical GN'R legacy)

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer