You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Dj Ashba "Axl Rose Is One Of The Nicest Guys I've Met"; Video Inter

monkeychow wrote:

^ Agreed.

The other thing is that at a fundemental level GNR - at least in its classic form was a hard rock band, which is almost always going to be a nicher market than a pop-rock band like u2.

It doesn't mean that both of them don't have amazing songs.

GNR crosses over into the more "friendly" enviroment with NR and SCOM and KOHD etc....so there's plenty for softer music fans to like. But at the end of the day my sister will not listen to a song like "perfect crime" but she will listen to "beautiful day". I think it's a sign of their amazing ability that GNR had the mainstream success they did, as it's really not all that mainstream a band - Axl has a hardcore voice really, Slash is straight up blues - they're writing songs like Estranged and Coma that are completely 'out there' so to speak.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

GN'R was a paradox in many ways. On one hand they (cough...Axl...cough) would do a lot of shit to piss off the public. But on the other hand, they would come up with perfect crossover tracks like Sweet Child O' Mine and Patience. And somehow a nearly 7 minute hard rock/punk track called Paradise City managed to crossover big time. I think the key with that one was that they put the ultra catchy riff at the very beginning of the song and the first lyrics are the chorus. Without those two things, you are left with a blistering vocal style that isn't exactly mainstream and a crazy ass guitar outro that isn't mainstream either. That song was a top 5 hit entirely because of how incredibly catchy the intro riff and chorus is. The first 1:20 sucks the audience into the song. Then all hell breaks loose. When I think of typical top 5 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, that ain't one of 'em.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Like others have said... it was the right place, at the right time, for the right band. Music was aching for a Guns N' Roses-type at that time.

madagas wrote:

Gnr officially released 46 original songs from 87-91......the Sex Pistols only had 12 officially released original songs.

Don't fuck with Jock, JR!;)

war wrote:

^^^^^^^flawless victory

14 22

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Guys, you are amazing, you've summed it perfectly, why I love this band so much. 5

Board footer