You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Dj Ashba "Axl Rose Is One Of The Nicest Guys I've Met"; Video Inter

misterID wrote:

He co-wrote Heartbreak Hotel. So that counts. tongue

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

He also wrote Love Me Tender, one of his biggest and best songs.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:

Elvis didnt really co-write those songs, his manager just put his name down on them. He did not write any of the lyrics.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

People seem to really miss this fact about E too is that IT WAS A DIFFERENT ERA.

In Elvis generation, labels did not trust artists to write their own material and be commercially successful. Artists were seen as a commodity and brand names. If you could find a performer with talent YOU TOLD THEM what to perform. And in those days, you were just that - a performer. A singer was an entertainer. That's what they were paid to do, sing well, perform... entertain. They were not artists.

These days, it's the total reverse. A singer/performer is REQUIRED to write for artistic street cred. Even when the name 'Desmond Child' is mention, people freak out.

Hell, Willie friggin' Nelson, a legend, was a freelance writer YEARS before he broke in as a performer.

And it wasn't just Col. Parker, but alot of cats with that attitude back then, especially towards black artists.

Elvis got stuck with Col. Parker, but then again, Col. Parker was the only guy who'd stick by a fucking drugged out nutcase like Elvis too, especially in his later "Jim Morrison drug run" years.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

The Beatles, to most the most creative and influential band of that era, were pushed to do cover songs early in their career until they wrote enough amazing songs that they could refuse to do covers anymore.  It was certainly a different era.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
russtcb wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
russtcb wrote:

roll Elvis did not "have people write his songs". He chose songs he wanted to cover based on songs that moved him. Yes, the point remains that he didn't write his own songs, but he in no way "had people write his songs"

Having said that, your talent as a performer has zero to do with your songwriting ability. And if you think Elvis didn't have a diverse catalog, you really should do more research.

If we are just talking about performing then yes no one beats Elvis, he started it all for being a great performer but I thought we were talking about musical talent not just performing

Which was my original point. I said that I believe the three most talented performers to ever walk a stage were/are Elvis Presley, Axl Rose & Michael Jackson.

I agree but DCK was talking about more than just being a performer.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Axl isn't even close to those guys in talent.  Axl makes up ground on showmanship, but there are literally dozens of famous people with more talent and likely thousands that never caught a break with more.  I get that it's a GnR fan site, but sometimes you guys get lost on perspective.

Axl has a pretty damn unique voice, regardless of "showmanship."

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:
Riad wrote:

elvis.jpg
2001_22_1---Letter-V_web.jpg?&k=Letter+V
axl_rose_01.jpg
Who shall emerge Victorious?

michaeljacksoneatingpop.gif

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Axl isn't even close to those guys in talent.  Axl makes up ground on showmanship, but there are literally dozens of famous people with more talent and likely thousands that never caught a break with more.  I get that it's a GnR fan site, but sometimes you guys get lost on perspective.

Axl has a pretty damn unique voice, regardless of "showmanship."

Unique is fine.  If Axl was at his best live, he might be right there with the best of them.  He's off far more than he is on, and that is why he falls short.

Board footer