You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Re: Black Sabbath

Son of a Gun wrote:

I`ve just finished listening to the album and I have to say I`m disappointed. Zeitgeist, Loner, Age of Reason and bonus track Peace of Mind are good tunes, the rest of the songs are weak. End of the Beginning, God Is Dead, Damaged Soul and Dear father are long boring tunes nothing interesting happens in these songs, it feels like they added all these long ass songs to fill the space. Tony`s guitar work is very underwhelming. All in all, I give this album 2 and a half stars, it`s slightly better then Never Say Die weakest Ozzy era Sabbath album.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Alot of the songs especially the starter End require a couple more listens to get it. This and the longer tracks start off slow; but I wouldn't say there boring. I'm hoping to give it one more full album listen on the live stream later today.  Some of these songs are growers even God at first sounded half-assed in certain parts and too long. Yes it is too long of a song and needed to be cut by a few minutes; but after the second listen of the track I started to dig it a little more; but it still is the weakest song on the album by far. I would give the album another go around and see if the some of the tracks change for ya. Don't know about the bonus tracks though; so I can't really say anything about those yet. Glad you to hear your thoughts on what you thought. This album isn't perfect and you can see where it needed work.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

When set agains the golden era, 13 falls haplessly short. A few pointers:

- No great opener. Just think; War Pigs, Sweet Leaf, Wheels of Confusion... The End is the Beginning? I think not.
- No left-field insanity run. Snowblind, with a twist every other minute, could be said to encompass more creative ideas than half of the tracks on 13.
- No great ballad. Early Sabbath was actually an awesome band when they went soft/slow. Planet Caravan and Solitude are my personal favorites in this regard. The band that plays on 13 doesn't reach that, even if something tells me that with some effort, it could.

Currently, I pretty much dig the same tunes as Son of a Gun (Loner, Age of Reason, Zeitgeist) but to me, God Is Dead has grown as a sort of effable Ozzy doing his numbnut solo thing with Sabbath as his backing band (before Iommi and Butler wake up near the end of the track).

It's not a bad Sabbath album per se, just not an actual pinnacle, either.  Depending on one's preference, 13 situates above or below Technical Ecstacy. Given how manically high the bar was raised back in the 70's, one has to give them points for trying and hope there'll actually be a next time.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

So after reading some of these reviews. I checked out one song. Age of Reason. I really dig it on one listen, One more day so I will wait for the rest. Wanna hear it properly.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

The mixed reviews, plus Ozzy's recent work, are both making me nervous. I can't wait to hear it either way though, BS was my first metal band. Them and the Beatles were my favorite bands for at least 10 years.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

I`ve just finished listening to the album and I have to say I`m disappointed. Zeitgeist, Loner, Age of Reason and bonus track Peace of Mind are good tunes, the rest of the songs are weak. End of the Beginning, God Is Dead, Damaged Soul and Dear father are long boring tunes nothing interesting happens in these songs, it feels like they added all these long ass songs to fill the space. Tony`s guitar work is very underwhelming. All in all, I give this album 2 and a half stars, it`s slightly better then Never Say Die weakest Ozzy era Sabbath album.

Lyrically weak too IMO. Although I'll give it a couple more spins.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Hoping to pick it up in a couple days. Depends on what happens. Wasn't able to check it out again on the stream earlier cause I was tired. I just remember getting near Damaged Soul and Dear Father have some great instrumentation and Iommi soloing. Ozzy riffing on that harmonica on Soul and then the band exploding towards the end of Father. Some classic Sabbath energy in that. Yeah..I agree the lyrics are subpar on most of the tracks; but in my opinion that me and others are having is alot of the songs get too much build up then everything goes good. That's the problem. It's cool to have build up on a few songs; but for God and some later songs it doesn't work at times. Doesn't ruin the song entirely; but heavy metal fans like us don't want to hear the steep climb; we want to GO CRAZY!!

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Gonna stream it this afternoon from Amazon Cloud while I'm waiting for the disc to get here.

Ozzy and Geezer were on Stern this morning, some pretty funny shit. Ozzy's back to being incomprehensible. They spent a good amount of time interviewing the guy whose job it is to follow Ozzy around 24/7 keeping him sober.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Just got the album. Listened to Loner, Age of Reason, Live Forever, Damaged Soul, and Dear Father. Still need to hit the bonus cuts.

I dig it. I wasn't expecting the second coming of christ so maybe that's why. Quick notes for now, Damaged Soul is a great tune. Prolly the best track. Dipped in Blues and so very sexy. Tony fucking shines on this track. Getting straight bluesy and still keeping it heavy. Great fucking job on that song plus the ending jam with Ozzy hitting the harmonica.. I dunno how Son of a Gun called it "boring with nothing going on." Maybe you aren't a blues fan which would make sense.
For the rest, the trademark Sabbath tempo changes and twists are there but very settle and not as awesome as the olden days but I did have some "fuck yeah" moments. Loner was pretty good minus the weak lyrics. Age of Reason is a kickin' tune. I need to listen to it again. My advise is listen to it on a premium stereo or car system.

Ozzy thanks duff in liner notes. Wonder if it related to soberity issues. Also apparently  zakk wydle named a kid Sabbath Wydle. 16

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

I listened to half of it last week on grooveshark and liked it. Then again I thought the new Megadeth was ok, so wtf do I know. smile

Board footer