You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Black Sabbath

Music videos for the first two tracks! Hopefully they do vids for the song Loner and a few others. Very interesting!

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Just got the album. Listened to Loner, Age of Reason, Live Forever, Damaged Soul, and Dear Father. Still need to hit the bonus cuts.

I dig it. I wasn't expecting the second coming of christ so maybe that's why. Quick notes for now, Damaged Soul is a great tune. Prolly the best track. Dipped in Blues and so very sexy. Tony fucking shines on this track. Getting straight bluesy and still keeping it heavy. Great fucking job on that song plus the ending jam with Ozzy hitting the harmonica.. I dunno how Son of a Gun called it "boring with nothing going on." Maybe you aren't a blues fan which would make sense.
For the rest, the trademark Sabbath tempo changes and twists are there but very settle and not as awesome as the olden days but I did have some "fuck yeah" moments. Loner was pretty good minus the weak lyrics. Age of Reason is a kickin' tune. I need to listen to it again. My advise is listen to it on a premium stereo or car system.

Ozzy thanks duff in liner notes. Wonder if it related to soberity issues. Also apparently  zakk wydle named a kid Sabbath Wydle. 16

I like Blues, but I dislike Damaged Soul just because it`s bluesy and Ozzy plays harmonica, doesn`t mean it`s good. They tried so hard to make it sound like their old Blues Metal jams The Wizard, War Pigs, Hand of Doom but they failed royally. it drags forever. Had it been 5 minute long song, it would be much better.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Never said harmonica playing or a bluesy sound made it good. It's a good song, and those elements of it excited me. Obviously previous songs with the heavy blues influence are better and I would take Hand of Doom any day but for what it is, its a good song. And Tony does some really great soloing and riffing in that tune. That's what makes it good. Really don't hear them trying to recreate a sound either.

After having the record for a bit I still enjoy it. I would say Zeitgeist, Damaged Soul, Age of Reason, and Loner are the the meat of the record. I do agree with those disappointed in the lyrics through out the record. I would give it a 3 outta 5. With the best song either being Age of Reason or Damaged Soul.

Me_Wise_Magic

BLS-Pride wrote:

Never said harmonica playing or a bluesy sound made it good. It's a good song, and those elements of it excited me. Obviously previous songs with the heavy blues influence are better and I would take Hand of Doom any day but for what it is, its a good song. And Tony does some really great soloing and riffing in that tune. That's what makes it good. Really don't hear them trying to recreate a sound either.

After having the record for a bit I still enjoy it. I would say Zeitgeist, Damaged Soul, Age of Reason, and Loner are the the meat of the record. I do agree with those disappointed in the lyrics through out the record. I would give it a 3 outta 5. With the best song either being Age of Reason or Damaged Soul.

Dude..I completely agree on those songs being the heart and soul of the album. The better songs. God is Dead? and End have actually grown on me abit and sound alot better with more listens; but they are still overlong and could be tweaked abit lyrically. I still thought Dear Father was a good closure when I heard it the first time just re-using those bells was kind of unoriginal. The band agrees too. They said it was Rick's idea. I would give it a 3.5/5. May bump it up to a 4 once I purchase it, re-listen to alot of the songs again, and of course the bonus tracks which sounded good on the previews. Will let you know what I finally think sometime in the next few weeks. It's no ADKoT comeback album; but it has songs that could reach that rock goodness. (Yes..I will still compare rock albums with ADKoT, love it so 1622

Me_Wise_Magic

http://loudwire.com/black-sabbath-new-a … 200-chart/

Congrats to the boys! They did it! smile

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Cool news for the guys. Congrats!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Tony Iommi is fantastic on this album. Ozzy sounds great, love his melodies. The lyrics... They sound like they're trying really hard to be Black Sabbath songs and aren't as diverse as the old songs. Not all of the olds songs mentioned Satan. 16

Zeitgeist and Damaged Soul are classic Sabbath songs, imo.

Me_Wise_Magic

I agree on those tunes and I'll include Loner & Age of Reason as classic sounding Sabbath songs too. End of the Beginning and a few others have their good parts. I think if Dear Father was a little more stripped down and they gave Rick less control than he had on some of the tracks, it would have that heavy sound without much over thought. There is a little too much back and forth with the earlier tracks and I think if they were cut a tad or structured with the lyrics then it wouldn't feel dragged on.  Also the re-using of similar techniques and ideas that I know Geezer didn't like (The Black Sabbath intro bells at the end of Father when it should of ended after Ozzy's last verse with the instrumentation).  Strange fact: Ozzy said in an interview that GID? was demoed with the working title, American Jihad. 10 18

Me_Wise_Magic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqvThopYOLY&noredirect=1

New Sabbath Live Concert DVD/Blu Ray coming out in November. Pro-shot footage above! Any new thoughts on the recent album?

johndivney wrote:

Saw them last night.

Brilliant fuckin gig. Amazing energy. Gig of the year.
They're one of my favourite ever bands, top5 , like tied w/stones as my fave English band, but even so their show exceeded all expectations. I was willing to go just to give them & chance & to have seen them live but I was half expecting a dodgy enough show. In the end they blew me away.
They sounded awesome, huge. & they really put everything they had to it. Y'know sometimes you go see these arena acts & they're just phoning it in.. But sabbath were heavier & more intense than they had any right to be after all these years.
The crowd was brilliant. Once NiB hit the place went nuts & barely let up the rest of the night. Got a little smoke in whenever they did a new tune. Was just perfect.

Even the drum solo was great. If that's not a sign of a brilliant show I dont know what is!

Board footer