You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

misterID wrote:

AFD is seen as a seminal album.

No single band sounded like AFD. It was the perfect production, perfect sound. Def Leppard's Hysteria was more popular. But when the greatest albums lists come out nobody is putting it next to AFD.

Grunge was riding on the tide that GNR created. Its pretty well known GLAM was dying and GNR is what helped killed it. It was already on the way out before Nirvana showed up. It was on its last legs.

It was a great album the way Nevermind was a great album. As was Never Mind The Bollocks.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Def Leppard's Hysteria was more popular. But when the greatest albums lists come out nobody is putting it next to AFD.

The popularity comment isn't really true if you're talking total sales. I assume you mean sales in the late 80's. Hysteria is certified 12 times platinum in the States while Appetite is certified 18 times platinum in the States. But you are right about the level of respect each one receives. Rolling Stone's 500 list had Hysteria at 472 and Appetite at 61. Then again, Zeppelin IV is 66 on that list which basically undermines the whole enchilada. 16

johndivney wrote:

Roxette >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bon Jovi

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I gotta be honest, I listened to all of those videos of Bon Jovi that Riad posted... i'm just not hearing it.

It's good stuff, but the greatness... it's just not something that holds memory, speaking of 'memory' - You Want To Make A Memory. The best crafted song of the last decade? Really?

Try these on for size...

[youtube]XtqJ1tLTto0&feature=related[/youtube]

Just to name a FEW

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I'm pretty sure I like every single Bon Jovi song I've ever heard better than every single Zeppelin or Queen song I've ever heard. I find Zeppelin boring and I never really cared for Queen despite the fact I realize the impact those bands have. When it comes to my personal taste Bon Jovi blows both those bands outta the water.  I also like Bon Jovi much more than I do the Beatles so..... When you're one of the most consistent and top recording and touring acts of the last 30 years you should be in the RRHOF end of story. VERY FEW bands or artists from any genre have had as successful a career as Bon Jovi. If Madonna is in Bon Jovi fucking deserves to be in ten years ago.

johndivney wrote:
Bono wrote:

I'm pretty sure I like every single Bon Jovi song I've ever heard better than every single Zeppelin or Queen song I've ever heard. I find Zeppelin boring..
I also like Bon Jovi much more than I do the Beatles so..... When you're one of the most consistent and top recording and touring acts of the last 30 years you should be in the RRHOF end of story. VERY FEW bands or artists from any genre have had as successful a career as Bon Jovi. If Madonna is in Bon Jovi fucking deserves to be in ten years ago.

best post ever.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Bono wrote:

I'm pretty sure I like every single Bon Jovi song I've ever heard better than every single Zeppelin or Queen song I've ever heard. I find Zeppelin boring and I never really cared for Queen despite the fact I realize the impact those bands have. When it comes to my personal taste Bon Jovi blows both those bands outta the water.  I also like Bon Jovi much more than I do the Beatles so..... When you're one of the most consistent and top recording and touring acts of the last 30 years you should be in the RRHOF end of story. VERY FEW bands or artists from any genre have had as successful a career as Bon Jovi. If Madonna is in Bon Jovi fucking deserves to be in ten years ago.

While I agree with you, this still leaves the door open for tejas' (valid) argument that popularity doesn't equal quality.

Depends. You have a very small group of people determining who will get in. The problem with that is it allows agendas to come into play. Jann Wenner is known for holding agendas against people. He filled the Hall of Fame committee with his own lackeys, kinda like what Axl has done with GN'R lately. There is zero excuse to have a "rock and roll" Hall of Fame where Madonna is in it but KISS is not. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Bon Jovi and I don't think they are much different from Madonna but at least they were pop packaged as rock. Madonna is just a pop artist. So why is she in the "rock and roll" Hall of Fame? 16

And speaking of Wenner, why the hell is he the guy who gets to decide on good music? As one of the characters in Almost Famous pointed out, Rolling Stone Magazine was/is "the enemy" to a lot of great music. They trashed every album Zeppelin ever made, which is just an embarrassment and completely torpedoes that magazine's credibility IMHO.

Sky Dog wrote:

speaking of the 80's......looks like Bono's boys topped AFD for best album at ROLLING STONE'S Readers Poll

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photo … s-20110324

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Weak. Joshua Tree is an amazing album, but it isn't better than AFD. Back In Black is also awfully far down that list.

Board footer