You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

For me, AFD came down to song structure. I was (and still am) blown away by music that can be so carefree and so carefully constructed at the same time. Does that make any sense?

Yes. The only aspect of the careful construction that ever bothered me was the synth in Paradise City. Totally unnecessary and a product of the 1980's. Slash was pissed that Axl tacked it on without the rest of the band's knowledge. I wish he hadn't done it. They didn't play the song with synth in a live setting, so no need to put that crap in on the album version. Other than that small criticism, I am grateful that Axl took his time to make sure the vocals were done right. He nailed 'em across the board, even on the weaker tracks.

Neemo
 Rep: 483 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

Neemo wrote:
russtcb wrote:

For me, AFD came down to song structure. I was (and still am) blown away by music that can be so carefree and so carefully constructed at the same time.

totally get where you are coming from smile

check this tune out along the same idea seems improvised but is way too structured to be

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

Sky Dog wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

For me, AFD came down to song structure. I was (and still am) blown away by music that can be so carefree and so carefully constructed at the same time. Does that make any sense?

Yes. The only aspect of the careful construction that ever bothered me was the synth in Paradise City. Totally unnecessary and a product of the 1980's. Slash was pissed that Axl tacked it on without the rest of the band's knowledge. I wish he hadn't done it. They didn't play the song with synth in a live setting, so no need to put that crap in on the album version. Other than that small criticism, I am grateful that Axl took his time to make sure the vocals were done right. He nailed 'em across the board, even on the weaker tracks.

I hate that synth part as well.:mad:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

Axlin16 wrote:

I always thought Axl singing over the outro was totally un-necessary. It stomps on an epic guitar solo.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I always thought Axl singing over the outro was totally un-necessary. It stomps on an epic guitar solo.

Agree with that as well. Then again, his vocals during that part lead to the epic "oh won't you please take me home" at the very end.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

jamester wrote:
madagas wrote:

speaking of the 80's......looks like Bono's boys topped AFD for best album at ROLLING STONE'S Readers Poll

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photo … s-20110324

http://www.gnrevolution.com/post.php?ti … qid=194245
'Rolling Stone' Readers Pick the Top 10 Albums of the Nineties Nirvana's 'Nevermind' named Number One; Smashing Pumpkins only band to hit the list twice. Plus: Watch videos from each album

"10/10
10. Guns & Roses - 'Use Your Illusion 1 and 2'

These are technically two different albums, but since they were released on the same side they are widely seen as a double album. Even most hardcore Guns N' Roses fans admit that it's bloated and all over the place, but the high points ("November Rain," "Civil War," "You Could Be Mine" "Don't Cry") rank among the best work the band ever did. The original group split after a long tour supporting the disc, and Axl Rose has made it quite clear that he will never again share a stage with Slash. GNR are eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next year, so the world will finally be able to call his bluff."

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

Axlin16 wrote:

Wow... the Illusions made the Top-10 of the 90's. I'm shocked, and impressed.


For a long time, alot of people wanted to bury those albums because they weren't "AFD".

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I always thought Axl singing over the outro was totally un-necessary. It stomps on an epic guitar solo.

Didn't Axl describe that as an all out brawl between guitar and vocals in which nobody wins?  Or something to that effect.  I think that's a pretty good description of it.  The vocals may not be needed, but in a way, as cool as Bucket's solo in TWAT is, I somehow feel it needs one more verse during and/or afterwards.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

Axlin16 wrote:

I just thought the outro to PC should've been like Free Bird... the guitar should've just been left alone to go fuckin' wild.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB