You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Allied Forces act over Libya

johndivney wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I don't think our motives can be summed up in one word, but I can evaluate the idea in one: bad.

ridiculous.
this is absolutely essential & should have happened weeks ago.

a government has opened a war on it's people, yet this doesn't qualify as justification for intervention?!

i LOVE how the americans are saying it's about Oil when it was only a few years ago the rest of the world were saying that 'no, american intervention in Iraq isn't justified, it's merely to shore up their oil supply (& a personal vendetta).' yet when there is actual justification the americans suddenly think intervention is a bad idea. the hypocrisy of the american people & state over libya & gaddafi would be laughable if it wasn't so disgusting & evil.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I'm confused, where are these civillians that Gadaffi is slaughtering? The british media has been covering this in depth from inside Libya, telling us allsorts and yet I havnt seen any footage of these claims nor have I seen any footage of the common people of Libya protesting against Gaddaffi.
This whole situation is fishy as hell, I really believe the real situation on the ground is being manipulated and twisted by the Western governments and media. There is maximum a few hundred "rebels" armed to the teeth, even flying a fucking fighter jet the other day, and somehow the UN has decided to back them to the hilt "to stop the slaughter of the people of Libya."

And while this is going on, in other countries in Africa there is genuine peacefull protests going on and genuine civillians, men woman and children, being indiscriminately machine gunned down and blown up. Its funny how in countries with no natural resources or anything else of use to us, that these crimes can go unchecked roll

nugdafied wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Its funny how in countries with no natural resources or anything else of use to us, that these crimes can go unchecked roll

You have it figured out. 22

America preys upon the countries with the most natural resources and the least amount of resistance. Anyone that can't wrap their head around this a sheep.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

johndivney wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I don't think our motives can be summed up in one word, but I can evaluate the idea in one: bad.

ridiculous.

a government has opened a war on it's people, yet this doesn't qualify as justification for intervention?!

i LOVE how the americans are saying it's about Oil when it was only a few years ago the rest of the world were saying that 'no, american intervention in Iraq isn't justified, it's merely to shore up their oil supply (& a personal vendetta).' yet when there is actual justification the americans suddenly think intervention is a bad idea. the hypocrisy of the american people & state over libya & gaddafi would be laughable if it wasn't so disgusting & evil.

Being pro-US intervention in the Middle East is blind to the future. Even if we make things slightly better today, they'll be worse in ten years. Didn't we give bin Laden the weapons he needed to fight off the oppressive Soviets? Didn't we give tens of billions of dollars of support to prop up Mubarak for years? Has Iraq turned into a glowing example of democracy in the middle east since we decided to topple its government?

The answers are yes, yes, and no. The US needs to get out, and I mean 100% out, of the Middle East. I would stop funding IMF and the World Bank too. The presence of evil doesn't justify the US bombing something, unless you think there's a few dozen other countries and governments we should be toppling right now - in which case please list them. As Olorin mentioned, the accuracy of reports on violence in Libya is questionable, and the only sources we have are the people who want to start dropping the bombs. That's like being for the Iraq invasion in 2003 because Bush told you he was damn sure there were WMDs in there. So again, I take it you're glad the US invaded Iraq in 03? You think it was the right decision?

Not to mention the unilateral authorization of a military attack by the President in a situation that doesn't pose an imminent threat to the nation is unconstitutional. 'Higher oil prices' isn't enough.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I'm confused, where are these civillians that Gadaffi is slaughtering? The british media has been covering this in depth from inside Libya, telling us allsorts and yet I havnt seen any footage of these claims nor have I seen any footage of the common people of Libya protesting against Gaddaffi.
This whole situation is fishy as hell, I really believe the real situation on the ground is being manipulated and twisted by the Western governments and media. There is maximum a few hundred "rebels" armed to the teeth, even flying a fucking fighter jet the other day, and somehow the UN has decided to back them to the hilt "to stop the slaughter of the people of Libya."

And while this is going on, in other countries in Africa there is genuine peacefull protests going on and genuine civillians, men woman and children, being indiscriminately machine gunned down and blown up. Its funny how in countries with no natural resources or anything else of use to us, that these crimes can go unchecked roll

This.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Communist China wrote:

ridiculous.

There was actual justification in 2002 - Afghanistan (The Taliban) was harboring and giving safe refuge to the man who confessed to committing 9/11. I call that justification.

But Olorin's right too, it's amazing that these same atrocities, sometimes worse have been committed in Africa for years, and yet because the oil's not there - we don't give a shit.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Errr...this oil deal.

We've been buying oil from them in large amounts for decades.

So, with this in mind....we stop buying so we can invade them and THEN get the oil?

We have always had their oil. Why would we attack for oil we already have????

freak
 Rep: 4 

freak wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Whoa down there! This isn't a US action, it is a European action with the US having an ancillary role that is limited in scope and duration. It is Europe that gets about 85% of Libyan oil while the US buys about 3% of Libyan exports.

And anyone that thinks that this action isn't about oil is woefully ignorant of the geopolitical reality of the world's dependence on an energy source that is limited and declining while demand is increasing.

In the future, European countries will have to obtain resources at the barrel of a gun as there is no reserves on the continent. Unless, of course, some new miraculous energy source is developed/discovered in the next 20-50 years.

With the recent developments in new drilling techniques, the US and China can exploit vast reserves of hydrocarbon rich shales... enough for hundreds of years of growth. It ain't so with Europe.

freak
 Rep: 4 

freak wrote:
DCK wrote:

Errr...this oil deal.

So, with this in mind....we stop buying so we can invade them and THEN get the oil?

Simple- stability and access with agreeable terms. Read up on the D'Arcy Concessions and the AIOC. wink

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:

Errr...this oil deal.

'Cause right now, Europe is not getting the oil out of Libya due to the conflict. As soon as that shipment stopped, suddenly the attacks began.

Go figure.

Board footer