You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: RUMOR: GN'R Planning SA tour around RIR

Intercourse wrote:

I went back to CD and compared it to UYIs to listen more to the 'vibe' of each piece as CD bugs me after a while and I wasn't really sure why.

I notice Axl seems to be singing in minor scales on CD more than major whereas UYI is much 'brighter' and sung in major scales which sound more confident. As a result, I think he sounds too whiney on CD.

I think that's what I miss the most about old GNR sound. One of the guys here hit the nail on the head about AFD sounding so bright spontaneous and simple but is actually a complex record with really clever band work under Axl. I think Axl tried to be complex on CD but murdered the spontaneity at the same time. he esentially tried to be too clever.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Honest to god, the only song on the album I don't love is CitR. Everything else is freakin' fantastic to me

Thats pretty much how I feel, its a great fuckin record. There are a few moments that I'm not so keen on but whatever man, people are too fuckin analytical. Mabye if they loosened up they might actually enjoy it for what it is, instead of forever fussing over what they wish it was.

Theres only one terrible moment in the GNR catalogue and its that moment when Dont Cry soothingly drifts away at the end of UYI2 and that god awful My World kicks in... it catches me out every single time 17

johndivney wrote:

My World is good! there's a few stinkers on the UYI's but My World ain't one of them!
there are a few terrible moments in the catalogue..
we defo should do a collective song list/poll.. been thinking about doing for a couple of weeks now.. we dould dobest & worst simultaneously.

Sky Dog wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

SR is the catchiest song on the album

Outside of Get in the Ring, Shackler's is the worst Gnr song ever. 19

I like My World but it should have NEVER EVER EVER been on the album. Just make it an odd b-side to one of the singles.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'll take GITR just for the music.  The lyrics are petty (though I admit I liked it when I was 18), but musically it is actually a pretty solid song.

johndivney wrote:

yea if axl hadn't co-opted GITR & kept it as Why Do You Look At Me When You Hate Me & kept the journalist rant shite out of it it woulda made a great b-side. it still woulda made a great b-side as GITR. they just did not need to put everything out on the albums.
again, quality control issues... AFD was the only time they got it right & that's cause they made more compromises with management & advisors. after SCOM blew up there were no more compromises & that in turn resulted in a lack of help (& common sense) being proffered.

johndivney wrote:
madagas wrote:

Shackler's is the worst Gnr song ever. 19

i like the lyrics on this. it coincided eerily with the mumbai terrorist attacks. & some of buckets guitar work is brilliant. definitely not the worst GnR song ever & not even the worst of CD but again i probably wouldn't have missed it too much had it not been released.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I like Shacklers, it has a great beat and Buckets work in the outro is fantastic, shame its buried. The song possibly has the worst intro of any GNR song though, its ghastly.
Mind you My World is a contender as well for the most abrasive intro, that song has no redeeming qualities to my ears, utter keich.
GITR has some great guitar work as well, theres a demo kicking around with no vocals and it sounds fantastic. That "stick your head tight in my vice" line always makes me squirm 16

johndivney wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I like Shacklers, it has a great beat and Buckets work in the outro is fantastic, shame its buried. The song possibly has the worst intro of any GNR song though, its ghastly.

agreed. probably is.
& i believe, if memory serves, it was reflected in the myspace plays the album got.
it's a problem that is somewhat rectified in the original/alt tracklist (the one without CitR), where Riad is #2 & SR is #3. i think that helps the flow much better. it makes that abrasive intro more understandable/acceptable somehow.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I like Shackler's Revenge more than CD.

I don't think there's a hunk of garbage on CD. Yes, some songs are less than others, just like the UYI albums, not I have yet to hear a 'bad' GN'R 'original' song, with maybe the exception of Reckless Life. Hate that tune, always thought it fuckin' sucked.

As for Get In The Ring, and even Shotgun Blues... never understood the hate. Instrumentally they're ace, and even though lyrically and melodically they remain 'average' or 'fair'... I don't think there's a bad song on either UYI I or II, including My World. It's a fair song, but it's not bad.

Oh My God is not bad, either.

jmho

Board footer