You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: RUMOR: GN'R Planning SA tour around RIR

RussTCB wrote:

removed

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Jesus fucking christ what a sorry-ass thread this became.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I think the fact that album sales just don't make the kind of money that they used to could be th root of much of why GNR now works the way it does.

Axl probably makes waaay more green from touring than he does from CD royalties.  So why bother worrying about a new album? He gets so much shit for the way he does business etc, maybe he is just happy to milk that 90's GNR tittie until its dry and then retire and not bother trying to justify new line ups or badly produced songs etc.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Axl probably makes waaay more green from touring than he does from CD royalties.  So why bother worrying about a new album?

Not to drag the tread off topic - but you've just identified what I see as the major problem in the "it's ok if we all pirate music because the artists make their money from touring" argument that seems to be the new model of the music industry. For up and comming artists there's still a point in releasing new music to start a new tour cycle...but once you are established there becomes no motivation for anyone to do anything other than tour their classic hits endlessly. It would become totally rare to get a new album from any of the major bands.

Anyway, that aside:

#1 If Axl can sell arenas here in Australia I really don't see a reason why he can't sell them in the united states. My country is basicly like a suburb of the USA these days in terms of culture and identity...if rock has any following alive here it would be a similar extent in the usa I think. Further to this, as i said earlier in the thread, the only basis to say he can't do a usa tour is 2002 and much has changed since then: (Line up no longer looks like a circus - ie No Bucket, No 'alien' robin, no gangster axl. Axl's voice sounds retro now not like it did in 2002. Guitar parts are now proper. rock music has resurged out of the limbo it was in back then, and similar acts are making a killing.) I see NO REASON why a tour can't happen as long as it's decently planned.

#2 - The number of CD songs is pretty standard for a band that was famous back in the day. Metallica will play a few from death magnetic then a lot of hits. Ac/Dc played like 4 Black Ice songs in the set and the rest hits. It's standard fare for a band that was a big deal in the day.

johndivney wrote:

just cause other bands are doing it doesn't make it right

i'm not normally one for saying what GnR/Axl SHOULD do - in fact that type of shit really pisses me off sometimes.. HAVING SAID THAT - GnR SHOULD be blazing their own trail, playing by their own rules & doing everything on their own terms - & that includes playing music that people will either get on board with or get off the train. there SHOULDN'T be any compromises of halfway houses in anything GnR do. if people don't like it then fuck them.

having said THAT you can't be charging people 50clams a ticket for them to sit through Shacklers Revenge & Oh My God. in that respect it's a matter of decency rather than obstinacy.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:

Are you serious? This thread was ALL TIME man.

I can't remember the last time I read a thread that was so hilarious. I had tears in my eyes laughing at every single one of Dave's posts.

"CD was going to save rock n' roll" (i'm laughing my ass off while I type it)

Aww, poor Dave man, dude... seriously homie, I feel bad for you. You must've really believed that throughout the 2000's. I remember people saying that stuff back in like 2003 and me then jumping on their ass and saying "let's be realistic here". CD was NEVER going to save rock n' roll - ever.

I think it was David Wild of Rolling Stone that said that a new rebuilt Guns N' Roses album could've had that effect ("saving rock n' roll") back in the late 90's, had it been released in 1999, but that Axl had waited too long, and what was relevant when Axl recorded it had changed so much over time, that the album was far too dated already to connect. This was in 2004 - it still took another four years to come out. As much as I love Madagascar, it was SO 1998.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
DCK wrote:

Are you serious? This thread was ALL TIME man.

I can't remember the last time I read a thread that was so hilarious. I had tears in my eyes laughing at every single one of Dave's posts.

"CD was going to save rock n' roll" (i'm laughing my ass off while I type it)

Aww, poor Dave man, dude... seriously homie, I feel bad for you. You must've really believed that throughout the 2000's. I remember people saying that stuff back in like 2003 and me then jumping on their ass and saying "let's be realistic here". CD was NEVER going to save rock n' roll - ever.

I think it was David Wild of Rolling Stone that said that a new rebuilt Guns N' Roses album could've had that effect ("saving rock n' roll") back in the late 90's, had it been released in 1999, but that Axl had waited too long, and what was relevant when Axl recorded it had changed so much over time, that the album was far too dated already to connect. This was in 2004 - it still took another four years to come out. As much as I love Madagascar, it was SO 1998.

So let me get this straight, you agree with me that people back in the day were claiming CD would save rock, so what is your point again?

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

dave, it must be so difficult responding to others' posts when you have all the different tones coming your way; sarcaasm, dislike, humor, etc.

I don't know how you do it.

if you don't single handedly restore integrity and harmony to this thread you will be a failure.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Also, the point continues to be that if OTHERS claimed that Chinese Democracy was supposed to "save rock & roll" how does that make it Axl Rose's responsibility to live up to that claim?

FIFY. As for the answer to the question, I'm guessing Universal wanted a gamechanging product for $15 million in production costs. But maybe that's just a silly guess on my part. tongue

Board footer