You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: RUMOR: GN'R Planning SA tour around RIR

tejastech08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I really think axl set out to make a masterpiece and when he realized it wasn't going to happen, he completely gave up on it. Clearly there were other factors as well, but I think at some point he just said screw it and released the mess that we have now. I think CD could have been gnr worthy to the masses, but he just couldn't get it there before the best buy deal came along and time ran out.

The fact that so many songs leaked also caused a problem for him. If those weren't the absolute best songs in his vault, he was still forced to use them on this particular album simply because the cat was already out of the bag.

Sky Dog wrote:

I am not sure Axl knows what his best songs are. hmm

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I really think axl set out to make a masterpiece and when he realized it wasn't going to happen, he completely gave up on it. Clearly there were other factors as well, but I think at some point he just said screw it and released the mess that we have now. I think CD could have been gnr worthy to the masses, but he just couldn't get it there before the best buy deal came along and time ran out.

time ran out?.....too funny. tongue 15 years of off and on recording wasn't enough? 16

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

That is why I said earlier that it still wouldn't be out if it wasn't for the bb deal. That changed everything, so he took the stuff that leaked and threw it into an album without even proof reading the booklet. They had the deal of a lifetime from bb and had to jump at it with whatever they had at that point. So in that way, yes, he ran out of time.

johndivney wrote:

i don't think that's quite what happened - he had the finished/alt booklet proofed & finalised but something or someone fucked up which is why we ended up with the shit one.
but there is a case for axl's mishandling of the situation in the final year in the lead-in to the release - CITR being added to the tracklist late & a song being switched for another version at the pressing plant.
i do agree it wouldn't have been released were it not for azoff & BB & that the album is the leaks + two or three others. as to whether he deemed the music 'finished' i'm unsure one way or the other.
i also don't think he's given up on it which is why GnR find themselves in a perpetually preposterous situation of touring CD & being undecided on what happens next regarding a new album..

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

For awhile after CD's release I said time and again that CD was the best GN'R album since AFD. Because it was a more well-rounded experience, and I think in alot of ways it's still more well-rounded than either of the Illusions.

But on a song level... both UYI albums have far better songs. Hell in some cases, better songs than AFD.

Now that's not to say CD isn't a great album. It is. I probably wouldn't rank it lower than UYI I & II. It's a perfectly compliment, and certainly not 'subpar' as Buzz calls it. Considering he doesn't even own the album (until now), pretty much shows he's totally biased.

There Was A Time, Madagascar & This I Love are probably the only songs on CD i'd hold up (honestly, with no bias) and go "these songs are worthy for the Hall of Fame of GN'R history" in comparison to the old catalog. That's not to say that the rest of CD isn't pretty good stuff. It just means there are better stuff in the old catalog. CD, Shackler's Revenge, Better, Street of Dreams, If The World, Catcher In The Rye, Scraped, Riad N' The Bedouins, Sorry, I.R.S., & Prostitute...

There are all numerous songs from the old catalog that are better. CD as good as it is, is still the least of the original studio albums.

Sky Dog wrote:

I am not going to compare the CD sessions to the Illusions until we hear the rest of the material. By all accounts, Axl recorded at least two full albums, and he said he considered it a double. Thus, at this point, you can't really make an educated guess as to which sessions were stronger. Right now, I will take either Illusion over Chinese.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That's actually a good point. Think if you combine the best of the Illusions. It's the best thing Guns N' Roses ever did, better than AFD.

CD could be the same case. If we ever hear that vault, whether it's just another album or possibly two...

It could be the definitive Guns N' Roses.

johndivney wrote:

CD, Better, Sorry, ITW & Prostitute 4 me are great & prob IRS as well.. TWAT is the obv masterpiece, TiL has it's moments.. don't really care for the offical Maddy.

johndivney wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

CD could be the same case. If we ever hear that vault, whether it's just another album or possibly two...

It could be the definitive Guns N' Roses.

nah it could never be
you're right that a combination of the UYI's would be better than AFD & it's there & on Nightrain that you find the definitive GnR - you NEED that blues based hard rock with a genuine rhythm section & the songwriting of Izzy especially if you are going to try & define what makes/made GnR one of the greatest rock bands ever. CD is a change-up & evolution & isn't the true & pure GnR & will never be no matter how close TWAT got.

Board footer