You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Questions

buzzsaw wrote:

Good to see some douchebag decided to smite me for having a valid opinion.

russ: I can't comment towards what they do in VR because I haven't seen them live.  I can tell you that from the GnR bootlegs, it looks like some of the intensity comes from the format of the shows and that makes a big difference and gives an appearance of the band being intense when it's really the atmosphere.  All I can say is that when I saw Guns N' Roses in 1992 it was the best show I've ever seen in my life, and I have seen a ton of concerts over the years.  They were rock and roll.  The show wasn't huge because of the venue or the props or the size of the stage, it was huge because the biggest band in the world (at the time) was on stage.  It was huge because they had an energy and a tension that you can't fake.

The new shows are a fabrication in almost every imaginable way.  The band is a fabrication, the music is a fabrication, the show and energy are fabrications.  It all rides the waves of what was, not what is.  I've read the reviews, I've read what people that have gone to see the new band have to say - they love the old songs and about half the crowd goes to get beer or to go to the bathroom during a new song or a dreaded solo.  That didn't happen on the UYI tour before the albums came out.  The shows now are a production.  Nothing spontaneous, nothing new, nothing that would make you think you were seeing Guns N' Roses other than Axl Rose and the songs they play.  Sure, they play the songs OK, but that isn't what Guns N' Roses was.  ANYBODY could be standing behind Axl and people would think it was great.  THAT isn't a band.  They've become everything Guns N' Roses was against - a lineup of rotating studio musicians out to make a buck.  It's ambarrassing as a fan of Guns N' Roses.

buzzsaw wrote:

Good to see some douchebag decided to smite me for having a valid opinion.

The new shows are a fabrication in almost every imaginable way.  The band is a fabrication, the music is a fabrication, the show and energy are fabrications.  It all rides the waves of what was, not what is.  I've read the reviews, I've read what people that have gone to see the new band have to say - they love the old songs and about half the crowd goes to get beer or to go to the bathroom during a new song or a dreaded solo.  That didn't happen on the UYI tour before the albums came out.  The shows now are a production.  Nothing spontaneous, nothing new, nothing that would make you think you were seeing Guns N' Roses other than Axl Rose and the songs they play.  Sure, they play the songs OK, but that isn't what Guns N' Roses was.  ANYBODY could be standing behind Axl and people would think it was great.  THAT isn't a band.  They've become everything Guns N' Roses was against - a lineup of rotating studio musicians out to make a buck.  It's ambarrassing as a fan of Guns N' Roses.

Regarding you getting smited, refrain from the insults on the board, if you want to take it up with this person, take it up in the pms.  Before you start you start saying that this person smited you because of your opinion and that I am agreeing with that.  Staff cannot control the smiting, unless a war breaks out which then we will turn it off again, only thing I can say is it wasn't done on the board.

I can tell you for a fact that did NOT happen at MSG.  Even at Hammerstein it that didn't happen.  What because a few people got up and got a beer during a solo or because they don't like the new songs did that very thing.    Can't compare that as fact to the old band because in this situation so many people are pissed at the fact the Axl even had a new band called GNR that if they were among 6 people got up to get a beer it'd be half the stadium.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Well, I call a spade a spade.  Anybody that smites because they don't like your opinion is a douchebag - even me when I used to do it.  But that's a subject for another time.

It happened everywhere, though half may be an exaggeration.  It likely happened more than you think it did at the shows you were at.  I know you weren't looking around to see who left and who didn't - you were enjoying the show, especially when you were upfront.  The people that went took it for what it was - a chance to see Axl and hear the songs they love.  When it wasn't what they wanted to hear, they weren't into it.  That is pretty normal.  The UYI tour was the exception to the rule and obviously this band will never live up to what the band was at that time.  I was just pointing out that the things people are ripping Slash and Duff for are the same things that made the old band special - I didn't mean to get into another old vs new debate.  They are 2 different beasts that can't fairly be compared to each other.

Sky Dog wrote:

1. Gnr cancelled two shows on me in Atlanta during the UYI tour. Shit happened then too.
2. Anybody that compares Gnr in any form where Axl is on stage to Poison, needs a smite.
3. I'll never forget seeing Gnr play Nov Rain for the first time in Noblesville, Indiana before the albums came out. Never will forget the redneck next to me bitching about Axl playing piano. People headed for the restroom stalls in droves. That shit happens to all bands. New songs always get lukewarm receptions-Gnr was absolutely no exception. I believe I can quote the redneck "Axl Rose plays piano? I wanna hear Welcome to the Jungle god damnit!"
4. The Hammerstein shows I went to rocked hard. It wasn't fake at all. IRS, Better, and CD were great and got solid receptions. Bootlegs and internet viewings of rock shows are shit. You need to be there. If you have been to as many concerts as you claim, you should know that.
5. The old band played some awful shows. I went to 7 on the UYI tour so I am fairly qualified to have an opinion.
6. I simply like both bands.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

For madagas, so he can understand what I'm talking about.  Maybe reading it a second time will help.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

^ Buzz, where's your proof that people weren't disinterested in new material live in 90 and 91? And you make a point about GN'R standing for something (being against bands with roatating musicians out to make a buck). I've never heard anything like that. Ever. In fact, the only thng GN'R seemed to stand against was little dogs. Wasn't GN'R doing it to make a buck and survive another day? Or did they think Paradise City was an important song that the world needed to hear?

I'm with madagas in this thread.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Communist China wrote:

^ Buzz, where's your proof that people weren't disinterested in new material live in 90 and 91?

People who bought tickets to those shows went to hear the new material that had been hyped for two years. Its why GNR was able to get away with playing setlists comprised of a ton of unheard songs. Had it backfired, the band would have just switched to an AFD heavy setlist and continued the tour. There never was a backlash to it because its what people wanted.

When I bought tickets, I didn't give two shits about Jungle. I wanted to know what November Rain, Estranged, Dust N Bones,etc. sounded like.

Sky Dog wrote:

Thanks Buzz, Yes, it did help...it reinforced to me that you didn't see any shows before UYI came out and you didn't see people going to the bathroom during an unknown 10 minute Nov Rain.

your specific quote saying that didn't occur before uyi and me specifically giving you an example of when it did. Maybe you need to read what you write.

" I've read what people that have gone to see the new band have to say - they love the old songs and about half the crowd goes to get beer or to go to the bathroom during a new song or a dreaded solo.  That didn't happen on the UYI tour before the albums came out. "

I was fuckin there and it most certainly did happen. I'll go toe to toe with you all night long.:rock:

Sky Dog wrote:

James, you and I were hardcore fans, I wanted all new songs then just like I do now. However, in a crowd of 15,000....12,000 of which went to hear AFD, the hardcores were pretty outnumbered.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

Thanks Buzz, Yes, it did help...it reinforced to me that you didn't see any shows before UYI came out and you didn't see people going to the bathroom during an unknown 10 minute Nov Rain.

your specific quote saying that didn't occur before uyi and me specifically giving you an example of when it did. Maybe you need to read what you write.

" I've read what people that have gone to see the new band have to say - they love the old songs and about half the crowd goes to get beer or to go to the bathroom during a new song or a dreaded solo.  That didn't happen on the UYI tour before the albums came out. "

I was fuckin there and it most certainly did happen. Dude, I'll go toe to toe with you all night long.:rock:

Sounds like you went to a bad pre UYI show - were you the one that mentioned the hillbilly?  Enough said.  I lived it, I followed it, I know exactly what was going on.  You experienced what you experienced, that's fine.  Someday, if you keep seeing the fabricated band, that might scratch the surface what I experienced.  I was there and I did my homework.  If you were there as much as you claim, you wouldn't be debating this, you'd be agreeing.  Bailing during a 15 minute performance of NR when you don't know it is completely different than bailing on every single song they don't recognize and sleeping through boring solos.  Shit, go look at the tours from the late 80s.  People stayed around and listened to songs that were either never released or released 2-4 years later.  Let's see how many people stay around for the current band playing even more cover songs than the AFD rehash they do now if they tour again.  You can't compare the two at all.  These guys stand no chance when compared to the Original band live and you only hurt your credibility and theirs by saying otherwise.

You couldn't go toe to toe with me for 5 minutes - save your time and energy.  You aren't going to convince me that what you think trumps what I experienced no matter how many times you try.

Board footer