You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: MyGNR closing for business

faldor wrote:

Not sure if this should be posted or discussed, but it's an interesting read.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?sho … try2865217

Fellow GNR fans,

It is with regret to inform you that mygnrforum.com GNR Fan Forumwill be closing as of Friday April 15th.

Running mygnrforum.com since December 31st 2001 has been fun for a long time. It’s made me discuss and meet a whole lots of great GNR fans from all over the world (you know who you are), it’s also gave me the opportunity assist many GNR concerts for free, meet the band and Axl Rose.

In recent years, some aspects have grown to be whole lot less fun: leaks, lack of communication from management, even lawyer letters from the band. Those I lived with and became accustomed to.

Running internet Forum for a large website such as mygnrforum.com (38,452 members) and ten times more fans visiting (guests) requires expensive servers for which the monthly costs are significant.

Absence of promotion of Chinese Democracy, still no US tour, waiting for new material, the recession, are all factors which affect how much money can be made to offset the hosting fees which have been significantly higher than what ads and donations bring in.

I do thank the few supporters who have made donations. Unfortunately, it’s something that never really took off as only few people were able to donate (190$ in the last year). Supporters who have made donations in the last year have been informed how they can get a pro-rata refund if they wish.

So for many years now, I’ve been putting up my own money to help keep alive the Forum. This is a situation which I have discussed with GNR many times. Aside from expressing they want mygnrforum.com closed in the past, even after being offered, GNR has not shown any concrete interest in supporting and/or taking over the mygnrforum.com.

Aside from not making any business sense to run the Forum, it’s grown to expose me as the owner of the site to lawyer letters threatening lawsuits. So it’s making sense to throw the towel now and just close the mygnrforum.com. I guess GNR will finally have what it has wanted for a very long time!

I do believe that this was the best GNR fan Forum of all, with the best infrastructure, best moderating team and best forum members (GNR fans). It’s a shame that could not grow into something more. I often browse other band’s websites and fan forums and truly envy how those other bands have embraced the internet, fan forums, and fans! But not GNR unfortunately. I often think that the Forum could have been so much more for GNR. But then again GNR could also be so much more. But it’s currently not, and has not been for some time now. Great band, great music, great signer, but not so great marketing.

Thank you all for your continued interest during the last 10 years, I truly hope all the GNR fans will be able to find a place to continue to exchange. Thank you to all the forum members who made mygnrforum such a great place over the years, and a special thank you to all the members of the moderating team (past and present) who have put so much of their time into this. Special thanks to Highvoltage, Montrealer and Madison for their implication over the years of running this place.

I also wish all the best to GNR and to Axl Rose for the future.

Eric Romano, admin

Sky Dog wrote:

get ready for an onslaught of idiots....go read the shit being spewed over there. You will know why Axl despises a large majority of his fanbase.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

JUST CRAZY....never would've thought they'd shut down hmm

Lomax wrote:

another-victim-of-the-banhammer.jpg

Gonna need this at the ready

AtariLegend wrote:

Really sad, the trolls/haters finally won over there and it's all thanks to "Gn'R".

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Never used it. It's his site, he can do whatever he wants for all I care. Who wants to face all that bullshit? It's either the Jarmo way or the highway and if this is how they wanna play the game, I support his decision. Sadly, it doesn't really matter. If it had made a difference for the shows or for anything else they might have changed their strategy, but as long as GNR pulls in the crowd, they can continue like this.

tange
 Rep: 0 

tange wrote:

Its sad in some ways but in others not so much. The forum had gotten toxic in many respects with a few people using the forum to talk shit to one another endlessly. The thread hijacking got pretty bad toward the end.

johndivney wrote:

p sure it was thru mygnr that i found my way back to GnR - think they hosted mp3's of the bootlegged new songs & then they had a real public message board (as opposed to the more typical 'forum' it evolved into).. but that was 11 years ago now give or take & a lot of crap has come outta that place to such an extent that the neediness of it's very name came to signify & define the petty childishness of the posters & admins..

the worrying thing indeed is where those forum junkies are gonna end up..

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:

The only thing I have a problem with is Eric's attitude indicates some resentment towards GN'R for not funding the site.  They really had zero obligation to do so.  I mean is this forum financially supported by GN'R?

I never got that impression.  If you support one fan forum, you have to support them all or you get a bunch of drama.  Also, if GN'R supported MyGNR, there would have been even more outcries of selling out and censorship and control.

Ali

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Pretty sad news I must say.

Even though I havent posted frequently for a couple of years, I've been going to that site since, I thought since the late 90's, but reading Eric's post I guess it was around 2001. Or was that when the forum started and the site's been around for longer than that?! I could swear I started going there for news around 97-98...

Anyway sad day! Regardles of trolls n shit!

Any of you guys know whats up with the letters from lawyers n stuff?  Doesn't sound cool...

Board footer