You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: Avenged Sevenfold

RaZor wrote:

Listening to the new album again. Requiem is fucking epic. 9 9 9

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Sad but Two is hilarious.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

Avenged Sevenfold frontman M Shadows admits Machine Head mainman Robb Flynn had a point when he poked fun at new A7X album Hail To The King.

Flynn recently congratulated them for the success of their "latest covers album" and added: "Who knew that re-recording Metallica, Guns n'Roses and Megadeth songs could be a worldwide hit? Ba-dap psssss!"

And he suggested their track This Means War sounded like Metallica's Sad But True, joking the band was about to change their name to "Sad But Two."

Now Shadows tells Canadian radio station 106.9 The Bear: "I really don't know what to say about it other than I agree with him on the Sad But True thing — that was obviously an inspiration for that song.

"Everything else – if it is a joke, it was kind of overboard, 'cause it doesn't make sense in my mind. But at the same time, he was saying it was a joke.

"I have met Robb on numerous occasions and he's always been cool to me. And I just read it as a joke. I have no ill will towards those guys. if he just wants to go in there and write whatever he wants, I think that's totally cool.

"Everyone has an opinion and everyone should be entitled to say whatever they want. So it's no skin off our backs."

But Shadows thinks it's natural that the band's influences will be laid bare. "Metal has become very blast-beat, screamy-oriented," he says.

"When you take things back and go to a more classic rock feel, you're gonna feel the similarities to what we were trying to do.

"We were trying to make an Avenged Sevenfold album from the early 90s and late 80s. I think all the bands he said, we were very inspired by. Also Sabbath, Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones."

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

My bro owns the album and was showing some more of the songs off of it. I was enjoying what I heard so far. Going back to some of their earlier stuff from him and the internet. Then I'll go borrow Hail to the King and a few other albums and put 'em on my laptop. Getting a separate hard drive real soon for music, more space for games, and recordings. wink

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I liked this album a lot. There isn't an A7X album I don't like, and I'm not sure which one is my favorite, but I've been playing this shit loud as fuck repeatedly since it came out.

I really like the scaled back sound. I liked City of Evil, but that shit was fuckin bloated and full of wankery to the max. Every note hit on this album has impact, and is played with a purpose.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

I dig the album. I like hearing old school Metallica and GN'R mixed together. Was turned on to the album thanks to the below video posted by a fellow graduate of my university:

Our new coach's name is Kliff Kingsbury, so "Hail To The King" is very fitting. 9

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I officially love this fucking album. Especially that huge GNR/Metallica influence that leaks through it all with pride. It's great! Favorite tunes: Hail, Planets, Acid Rain, Doing Time, and Coming Home. A couple others like Shepherd are getting up there too. Can't wait to see them live at either festival I'm going to with my friends in the next couple months.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I have never been into this band, but I cannot fucking get Shepard of Fire out of my head. All Satanical n' shit... it kinda rules. Catchy as hell. Literally.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Shepard of Fire is Enter Sandman. Starts with drums, then into guitar riff, then whole band kicks in. It even has the fading drums at the end, the same as Enter Sandman! Lol

I like the song, but why did A7x stop making original music and blatantly copying their influences?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Shepard of Fire is Enter Sandman. Starts with drums, then into guitar riff, then whole band kicks in. It even has the fading drums at the end, the same as Enter Sandman! Lol

I like the song, but why did A7x stop making original music and blatantly copying their influences?

Because like Alter Bridge... that's what people do now. To stay alive, originality is dead. Look at GN'R. Chinese had "no singles"... why? Because it wasn't Axl Rose doing post-grunge songs. It was Axl doing what he wanted, especially the throwback GN'R ballads.

The only bands out there still recording new music that still has originality are the Seattle bands that originated the sound that eventually got streamlined, or the occasional old hair band that still record the same kind of music, like Whitesnake.

Most bands either took their ball and went home when people didn't want to hear new music, they became tribute bands to their old stuff, and all of the more modern bands from post-grunge, to nu metal, to industrial, to the current stuff... none of it has enough of a classic appeal to have staying power imo.

Board footer