You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Tommy Stinson Thread

Sky Dog wrote:

Westerberg says, "I write stuff, but I haven't written much lately. I played a little saxophone last year, more or less just for something else to do. I wouldn't say I'm working on a record. I have enough stuff to release one tomorrow, but why bother? In this day and age, my thought is to make a song everyday and erase it as a sort of Dadaist protest."

Tommy sure has a way for picking pain in the ass singers. big_smile

Sky Dog wrote:

I hate it when my posts get caught at the turn of the page....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … n-20110822

article on a possible Replacements reunion...still looks like no way...I guess Tommy is trying to drum up alot of press for his solo release.

"Tommy is a little more aggressive towards it, because I think he needs a gig" says Westerberg

Unsurprisingly, Tommy Stinson – who currently plays bass in Guns N' Roses and Soul Asylum – doesn't agree with Westerberg's assessment of the situation. "He thinks I need a gig?" Stinson says. "That's funny. I got fucking three or four gigs going at any one time. Paul likes to sit home and record in his basement, and that works for him. I like to perform. But you never know. I'm more like, if a reunion happens, it happens. If the planets align and the oceans don't swallow up the earth first."

Stinson does share some of Weterberg's reservations about a possible reunion. "Why would we do it?" he asks. "The only reason we would ever do it would be to get paid. We're not going to recapture anything. I think I could probably have fun with it though. It'd probably be a short-lived moment of having fun with it, but I ultimately think it might not be very good to try and go back."

always on point 16

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I also think in 2011 (or 2008), like many of them, including Axl, Ron & Chris have all alluded to - you have to take into consideration... downloads. Illegal or legal. Today, that is a true measure of interest, and based on illegal downloads (including leaks), CD is probably a legendary album in rock.

As for Tommy, we kind of poo poo CD's album sales, because we're all old Gunners used to AFD, Lies & UYI "all fucking time"-type numbers... but for someone like Tommy... CD is probably the most album-successful thing he's ever done.

Did the Mats' or Soul Asylum ever go Gold? I don't think so.

Talking about the downloading mofos... When you act towards your fan base like Axl does, then don't be surprised if a lot of people who'd be interested in your music say 'fuck you' and either don't even give themselves (and you) the chance to like your new music, or simply download it. It's a lesson Axl should learn. He can dictate on the live shows, but every fan can dictate in front of his/her computer.

I'm sorry, but that is a pretty weak justification for someone, anyone, to use. 

You haven't "treated" me well as a fan, so I'm going to download your music for free?  What does that solve?  Is that going to make Axl want to act differently towards the "fans"?  I don't think so.  Even if you do feel for some reason that Axl has personally wronged you as a fan, as the saying goes, two wrongs do not make a right.

Ali

johndivney wrote:
madagas wrote:

Westerberg says, "I write stuff, but I haven't written much lately. I played a little saxophone last year, more or less just for something else to do. I wouldn't say I'm working on a record. I have enough stuff to release one tomorrow, but why bother? In this day and age, my thought is to make a song everyday and erase it as a sort of Dadaist protest."

Tommy sure has a way for picking pain in the ass singers. big_smile

in fairness paulie has released quite a lot of material the last decade, including soundtracks.

in fact 49:00 i think is one of the best albums ever, not just one of westerbergs greatest works either solo or with the mats.

folker is also one of the best releases of the decade imo & his two grandpaboy albums are fucking stellar.

but that doesn't mean he isn't a pain in the ass!:peace:

Sky Dog wrote:

49:00 and Stereo/Mono are easily my favorite Westerberg solo albums

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Ali wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I also think in 2011 (or 2008), like many of them, including Axl, Ron & Chris have all alluded to - you have to take into consideration... downloads. Illegal or legal. Today, that is a true measure of interest, and based on illegal downloads (including leaks), CD is probably a legendary album in rock.

As for Tommy, we kind of poo poo CD's album sales, because we're all old Gunners used to AFD, Lies & UYI "all fucking time"-type numbers... but for someone like Tommy... CD is probably the most album-successful thing he's ever done.

Did the Mats' or Soul Asylum ever go Gold? I don't think so.

Talking about the downloading mofos... When you act towards your fan base like Axl does, then don't be surprised if a lot of people who'd be interested in your music say 'fuck you' and either don't even give themselves (and you) the chance to like your new music, or simply download it. It's a lesson Axl should learn. He can dictate on the live shows, but every fan can dictate in front of his/her computer.

You haven't "treated" me well as a fan, so I'm going to download your music for free?  What does that solve?  Is that going to make Axl want to act differently towards the "fans"?  I don't think so.  Even if you do feel for some reason that Axl has personally wronged you as a fan, as the saying goes, two wrongs do not make a right.

Ali

Might not - but that's the way the world works.

When Metallica sued Napster, illegal downloads of Metallica albums - SKYROCKETED.

Good job Lars, you dumb ass.

Sky Dog wrote:

To be like Russ, not sure how this thread turned in to Metallica...BUT, I just previewed Tommy's album at Amazon and am a little underwhelmed. Not a lot of electric geetars. A few songs sound interesting but nothing has the "glow" of the best songs on Village Gorilla Head.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That sucks man. So is One Man Mutiny the big Gun?

If so, I stick by my original assessment that it should've been a Tommy/Dizzy/Rich-song on a new GN'R LP/EP.

Sky Dog wrote:

don't know because I only heard snippets. I will buy it on itunes when it comes out anyway so I'll let you know. It's A Drag is a good tune.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Ali wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Ali

Might not - but that's the way the world works.

When Metallica sued Napster, illegal downloads of Metallica albums - SKYROCKETED.

Good job Lars, you dumb ass.

I understand that's how things work.  I'm just pointing out the irony in holding resentment towards someone for behaving in a way that is unfair or inconsiderate, and then going out and doing something that is against the law and will not, actually did not, really result in any meaningful change on Axl's part.

Ali

Board footer