You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: The Tommy Stinson Thread

DCK wrote:

I'm getting a bit worried about Tommy. There's drinking, and there's drinking when you're in a band, having a kid, a wife and above the age of 35.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, I will admit it's a bit reckless.

I've never had much respect for guys that still play fast & loose with their families.

I do notice how they don't acknowledge the women like they used to. It's like their older and want relationships more and all these groupies try to impress them, and they seem to acknowledge the more peaceful, grounded, respectful women in the crowd these days.

Not the case in 2006.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Credit to Funky Monkey:

Tommy Stinson Talks Working With Axl Rose and Paul Westerberg, Possible New Guns N' Roses Album

Nov. 3 2011

Speaking from a tour stop in Mexico City and in anticipation of Guns N' Roses performing on Saturday at Gexa Energy Pavilion, Stinson talked with DC-9 about his current gig and the interesting path that led him into the waiting arms of Axl Rose.

Who is easier to work for, Axl Rose or Paul Westerberg?

Tommy Stinson: They are both about the same to work with. There are things about both of them that I admire. They are both very similar. They have their way of doing things. Sometimes, things haven't worked out so good with either of them, and that is part of the deal.

What do you think about all the criticism Axl got for starting Guns N' Roses over with the new lineup?

Here's the way it went down. He didn't start over. The other guys just kind of vacated the band. They said, "Fuck it, I don't want to work." Axl just decided to go on. He called me and asked me to do it and got the other guys to do it as well. Axl just wanted to keep working. He didn't want to start completely over after everything the band had been through. I think it was a pretty ballsy move.

When you were in the Replacements, you played in front of some big audiences, but those can't compare with some of the crowds you've seen with Guns N' Roses. Do you sometimes walk out on stage and go, "Oh shit!"?

Not really so much. I have gotten used to it. I've been doing this now for 13 years. The cool thing and the amazing thing is that the people still come. After all of these years, there's no Slash, no Duff, they still keep coming.

2008's Chinese Democracy took forever to come out. Does the band have a lot of songs in the can? Is a new album in the works?

I'm not going to say a whole lot about that, but I tell you right now that I certainly hope we do another album. I would love to get everyone back into the studio and make some more stuff happen. I think we have a good band, and each of us has something interesting to offer. I hope we get on this project sooner than later.

People might not realize that you still have a solo career going. Where did you find the time to write and record your most recent effort, One Many Mutiny?

It's been kind of tough to find the time. I take down time very seriously and I use it to work on my own stuff. It's a slow process and I am into so many things, whether it's Guns or whatever. I'm hoping that next year will help me simplify a few things and play my own music more often. I need to find a way to make more of my music.

Continue here: http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/201 … ing_wi.php

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

cool interview smile

johndivney wrote:

13 years!

anyway for those that give a fuck this GREAT album got a 4 or 5 Star review in last months Mojo (the best music mag bar none).
review was a short blurb &, for madagas esp, revealed info re title track. i don't have time to type up review atm 'cause am shitfaced listening to CD for first time in AGES & some BITCH is shouting @ me to turn vol on Sorry down (asif thqt's gonna happen, i'm sorry for her not sorry for me & i told her so) but will do 2moro

tommy is god
he got stiffed on CD tho would LOVE to hear CDmixed w bass front & centre like it's fuckin meant to be.. maybe on CDII

Sky Dog wrote:

cheers John.....:beer:

johndivney wrote:

well since ee're both here Mojo suggests the title track comes from/is a nod to Louden Wainwright's One Man Guy

can't link to youtube atm

i've heard 100+ albums this year released this yr, at least, & this is one of the best
i like gorilla head but this is a step beyond perhaps best solo album from a gunner i've heard

i haven't got round to lwIII yet but i know his story & listened to rufus & martha & they can be p awesome (tho bitchy about their da - in a great way of course, Dinner @ 8?!)

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Seriously John, I got a full-blown stiffy listening to Tommy's One Man Mutiny. This guy is Izzy II.

I would LOVE to hear what he'd bring to a GN'R album. The song One Man Mutiny features Richard & Dizzy... somedays i'd like to pretend it's a GN'R B-side.

johndivney wrote:
Mojo wrote:

Tommy Stinson - One Man Mutiny
4stars

Alt-rock icon turned hard rock sideman finds himself.

At age 12, Tommy Stinson helped found Replacements with singer Paul Westerberg; since the late-90's he's served as Axl Rose's bassist in Guns N' Roses 2.0. in between, Stinson has tended fitfully to his own career, fronting rough'n'ready outfits Bash & Pop and Perfect, as well as releasing a grab bag solo effort.
On this belated second solo LP, Stinson strikes the right balance between rock ballast and frayed pop beauty. From the invigorating cave-stomp opener Don't Deserve You to the jaunty aphorisms of Match Made in Hell, Stinson captures the perfect pitch on all 10 tracks.
He revels in his influences too, as on the keening Stones pastiche It's a Drag, and the defiant title track, a loving nod to Loudon Wainwright

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer