You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: The Tommy Stinson Thread

Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I have a new found respect for Tommy and it's nice to see someone in the band call the songs the mess that they are.

Ah, but he didn't call them that, did he?  You did. 16

Ali

Really?  Read it again.  He's not talking about how great they are.  He's talking about how cluttered they are.  The message is the same.  He knows better than I do because he lived it.  Validation my friend, validation.  You can't ignore it on a technicality.

Of course he lived it.

You're opinion of the album has been made clear.  He has not expressed the same opinion of the album.

I think you're confusing content vs. connotation.  I'm saying that while he may agree the songs are very dense and layered with a bunch of instrumentation, he does not explicitly say they are a "mess", which to me has a very negative connotation and would imply that he does not like the record.

He may have that opinion, but it simply isn't clear from what he has said in this interview.

Ali

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:

Ah, but he didn't call them that, did he?  You did. 16

Ali

Really?  Read it again.  He's not talking about how great they are.  He's talking about how cluttered they are.  The message is the same.  He knows better than I do because he lived it.  Validation my friend, validation.  You can't ignore it on a technicality.

Of course he lived it.

You're opinion of the album has been made clear.  He has not expressed the same opinion of the album.

I think you're confusing content vs. connotation.  I'm saying that while he may agree the songs are very dense and layered with a bunch of instrumentation, he does not explicitly say they are a "mess", which to me has a very negative connotation and would imply that he does not like the record.

He may have that opinion, but it simply isn't clear from what he has said in this interview.

Ali

So you're interpreting his comments as positive?  Yikes.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

He is basically saying the songs were done pre Roy Thomas Baker ..... a better album if released in 2001-2002....Tom Zutaut said that as well.

What he said was it was better before all of the additional layers were put on. 

And it ended up coming back down to the same fucking songs that they were 10 years ago, except that now they were a super-dense mishmash of a bunch of instrumentation.

That's not a compliment no matter how you try to spin it.  He feels there's too much shit in there.  Even though he didn't say those exact words, it's exactly what he said.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

He is basically saying the songs were done pre Roy Thomas Baker ..... a better album if released in 2001-2002....Tom Zutaut said that as well.

Yep and I like seeing Tommy confirm that. It's unfortunate he didn't have enough "pull" in the band to convince Axl to disregard everything added post 2001 and just release it as it was intended before ten tons of bullshit was added. Hopefully before we're all dead that album leaks or gets released in some capacity.

Damn Iovine really likes to take a hands on approach. M.I.A. mentions him frequently when doing promo for her albums.

Loved this part of the interview as well...

“Oh, fuck, I can’t really talk about it, but I’ll tell you anyway.” And it turned out he was playing drums, and working on the record. He said, “It’s funny that you’re asking me, because Duff [McKagan] just quit, and we need a bass player.” I was just joking with him: “Oh, that would be a fucking hoot,” given my thoughts about Guns N’ Roses at that time. But I did it anyway just as a laugh, and it turned out pretty good.

Brings up how he didn't like GNR back in their prime and just went into the situation blind and wound up liking it. That's always been a sore spot with some fans and I like his honesty.

He gives great interviews and I wish he could have got some mainstream press during CD's lack of promo. Media would have pounced on him if given the chance. In 2008 was the only guy in the band anyone gave a shit about on a major level. He could have done what Duff and Slash did during the lead up to UYI.

Ali

Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Of course he lived it.

Ali

So you're interpreting his comments as positive?  Yikes.

Did I say that?  No.  You're doing the same thing with my words that you did with Tommy's:  twisting them around.  All I'm saying is that from his comments alone, not the interpretation of his comments, but from his explicit comments alone he does not say say that he doesn't like the record or views it exactly how you view it.  Rather than read into his remarks and put word in his mouth, which is your prerogative, I prefer to take them as they are.

He could share the same opinion as you.  He may not.  It's impossible to know without explicitly asking him.

Ali

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Ali, are you a politician? He admits the finished album is a fucking mess and pretty sure he stated the same thing in that one interview in 2009 where he went into detail regarding the recording of CD.

Ali

Ali wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Ali, are you a politician? He admits the finished album is a fucking mess and pretty sure he stated the same thing in that one interview in 2009 where he went into detail regarding the recording of CD.

Which interview are you referring to?  The Gasoline magazine one?

This is what he said in that:

What took so fucking long?

"You know what? ... I don't know," Stinson divulges. "I really don't know if there was one thing. I think it was a multitude of things. That's my straight-up answer without getting into specifics, because I think if I get specific, it can be taken as sort of negative, and I don't want to go there." Inarguably, some discretion is required when talking about W. Axl Rose, a man infamous for his vicious disputes with his bandmates. But after some prying, Stinson loosens up. "I think the main thing is, we just didn't have a lot of help doing it. Geffen merged with Interscope; that definitely changed what was going down with the record. For whatever reason, because of the merger, it seems to me that that was the point when things slowed way, way, way down."

Now that Chinese Democracy has been released, Stinson looks at the album as two sides of a coin. "It's a little bittersweet. It took so long [to record the album], which is a drag, but the sweet thing is that it's actually out now, and people can actually check it out and judge for themselves on its worth or not." He then continues, "But ultimately for us, [the experience] was totally worth it. It turned out great, and I think it turned out right. I don't know if it would have turned out right a year ago or four years ago.

It doesn't seem to me that because he may think the songs are overly dense, he doesn't like the record is a bad one, or necessarily is a mess - which again has a very negative connotation.

Ali

Ali

Ali wrote:

Sourced form Atari Legend at HTGH:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/boar … ic=56110.0

Ali

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

So you think that's what he's saying in the interview posted today?  In that case, I give up.

Ali

Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

So you think that's what he's saying in the interview posted today?  In that case, I give up.

Did I say that?

No, I was answering James Lofton's response.

In 2009, clearly, he said it turned out great.

Ali

Board footer