You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Led Zeppelin Discussion

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I freakin' LOVE What Is And What Should Never Be. I've actually seen Train do a good job on that believe it or not. The Black Crowes also tore the shit out of it, but that was kind of a gimme because they had Page touring with them.

Yeah, back when Train wasn't all that popular.  In between their initial success and the success they're having now.  They used to go on The Stern Show and Howard would ask them to play Zeppelin and other covers.  They were always quite good.  The do a pretty good "Dream On" too.  Pat unlocks his inner Steven Tyler.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
faldor wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I freakin' LOVE What Is And What Should Never Be. I've actually seen Train do a good job on that believe it or not. The Black Crowes also tore the shit out of it, but that was kind of a gimme because they had Page touring with them.

Yeah, back when Train wasn't all that popular.  In between their initial success and the success they're having now.  They used to go on The Stern Show and Howard would ask them to play Zeppelin and other covers.  They were always quite good.  The do a pretty good "Dream On" too.  Pat unlocks his inner Steven Tyler.

Stern is such an asshole. Apparently likes Zeppelin's music enough to ask other people to play covers of it, but then rips Zep for "stealing" from other artists. Jackass.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I like Led Zep cos I like the riffs and the high vocals....but I do tend to like covers of their stuff a little more because:

1. The recording quality on the old ones...it's just so dated...lacks the punch of modern methods. Great riffs and so on...but comes on so quiet after listing to a recent album.

2. Led Zep was a little too experimental and drug/hippyish to me....know what I mean...live stuff is more like a jam session than playing the songs as written...which is sort of cool but can be annoying too.

Sky Dog wrote:

Jesus H Christ....the first 4 albums by Zep are recorded perfect...much better than 99% of the hard rock since then. Monkey, this Gnr stuff has broken you.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Jesus H Christ....the first 4 albums by Zep are recorded perfect...much better than 99% of the hard rock since then. Monkey, this Gnr stuff has broken you.

Yeah, Monkey you're fucking crazy my friend. Zeppelin's recordings sound amazing given their age.

Sky Dog wrote:

they sound amazing at any age...the clarity of each individual part...drums, vocals, guitars, bass...you can hear every part clear as a bell....crisp and clean.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Sorry guys I know it's not a popular viewpoint.

I stand by it though.

They sound great FOR THEIR TIME and FOR THEIR AGE and FOR THE WAY THEY WERE RECORDED and the SONGS ARE GREAT but the recordings no longer are.

Problem is they sound like recordings.

They sound like what they are - an awesome band like the beatles or like Zep in a room with just like 1 or maybe 2 mikes on the drums...a vocal mike...very minimalist way to capture sound....which worked for the era...but at the end it makes a cool recording but one that doesn't reflect what those instruments sound like in person...sounds like recorded drums...not drums.

You can bet John Bonham smashing that kit in front of you in the room would have been absolutely awe inspiring....in real like a cymbal crash would probably hurt a little, the bass drum would thud your heart....the snare is like a gun going off.....but that's not what it sounds like on the tape...it's a good mix considering the equipment that they had...but at the end of the day recording methods have gone a long way....and a modern song will have drumming that (even though partially faked no doubt) has a sound that's more like what it sounds like when there's a drummer jamming with you in the room.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

To be clear...I'm not bashing the band's talent...I'm just saying sonically because of the era those records are made - it's the sonic equivalent of watching a black and white movie - kick-ass for it's time and with some charming methods - but inherently dating it to a certain vintage.

Get in a time machine and move those guys when they were young and recorded that stuff to a studio today and let them make the exact same record...and what you would hear would be a much better sounding album. Drum sound would be amazing..guitars more powerful...vocals crisper...modern studios are just better IMO.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

It's like the movie psycho.

Of fundamental importance to cinema history. Influenced an entire genre of films after it. Amazing production for it's day.

But at the same time, techniques have evolved, technology has improved, and the craft - in terms of production has changed.

So in some ways Psycho holds up as an absolute classic...but in another...it's inherently only able to be judged against things from it's time..and it's very nature makes it somewhat dated in feel.

Same with Zep. Influenced everything that I like. Amazing recordings for their day. Lot of respect. But at the end of the day it's 1970s production techniques that we've moved away from now...and I can't help notice that every time i hear it.

Board footer