You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: DJ ASHBA Recalls 'Funny' Bar Fight Involving AXL ROSE -

Ali wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I've always heard about Axl's sharp wit and sense of humor. If he would do something that pokes fun at himself while still looking cool (again, I have to suggest an SNL, Fallon or Conan appearance) he would gain heaps of interest again.

Yeah, he's said to be witty and funny, but his lyrics are always 'very serious', sometimes whiney. A little distance from himself would help. But I'm afraid he's too self-centred and nothing suggests that any of his jokes would be self-reflecting.

I was listening to the Trunk interview again the other day and there were glimpses of it in there. Like when Eddie asked if Axl pays attention to stuff said on the internet and Axl was like "When have you ever known me to be reactionary?" like very smart ass and he knew he was knocking on himself a little bit. There were a few other bits like that during the interview as well.

I remember that. 

As I see it, writing is often used as a vehicle for expressing certain thoughts and feelings.  I wouldn't assume that his writing is reflective of his state of mind in general.  I say that because I know it isn't for me.  My writing is reserved for some of thoughts and feelings that have been weighing on me the most, not anywhere near all.

Ali

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

They come off as douche bags, DJ Ashba and Axl.

I doubt you would ever see Robin Finck rough someone up in this manner even if they were being belligerent.

This is where you see the difference I think from Finck and Ashba. Ashba you get a douche bag that thinks he is cool (first step in not being cool is to think you're cool) and to "brag" about this is actually lame.

I hope that the stuff Buckethead and Robin worked on does get released. Those two guys seem more serious artists I don't think you would see Robin Finck trying to whore himself out and brand himself like DJ Ashba. He Finck in my opinion is a serious artist.

Anyhow, I don't mean to turn this into a him versus him discussion.

But I have no interest in this band with DJ Ashba involved, to me it is as embarrassing as liking Bon Jovi.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Lomax wrote:

^^^^ It wasn't when DJ came it was when ficnk left, be honest. And now you know how the reunionsts feel, but maybe even a little more despairing since finck is gone forever whereas a reunion could well happen.

It's Guns N Roses 7 or some shit like that now. It hasnt been Guns N Roses since '89

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

funny i find this incarnation to be more gnr than any incaration since 95

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting how we all have different thoughts on this stuff.

To me it partially depends what you mean by the "Guns N Roses" vibe.

I think the old band had a certain vibe to it for sure. It's cliche now - but it did have a sort of unpredictable volitile and "dangerous" feel. In particular I think that both Axl and Slash have a sort of a famous person chrisma about them. Axl is off the charts. There's just something watchable and compelling about his stage presence. And that's not something that's ever going to change.

However, I also noticed a similar thing when I had the chance to get very close to Slash a couple of times last year. There's something going on with him more than just his ability on guitar in my opinion. There's a presence about him. Admittedly I'm a fan boy for GNR stuff...but I tell you he has a sort of famous person aura that's quite watchable too.

So for me the old band had the duel firepower of that chrisma - in addition to the blatent musical talent of Axl and Slash - they are two people that could be the focal point of a band put into one band. So for me that's partially what I'd mean if I said the "Guns N Roses" vibe.

Getting into the modern era. Not sure. There was sort of an enigma around the RIR3 band. I'm not sure if it was the wait, the silences, or the stranage mix of bedfellows in the group. But I'll grant it had a distinct personality too.

Although it's sort of a love it or hate it thing I think. I really love how Chinese came out in the end - like the studio album - but live I never quite understood the role buckethead played in the band - he never seemed to be properly utalised. And while the whole thing had an unmistakable Axl stamp on it - the way they sang and played the songs differently also gave it a very non-gnr like feel at times...it was kind of confusing mentally for me watching RIR. I mean on one hand - you know your watching Axl when he throws a guy out midway through ISE - and then they play new songs like maddy and it's amazing - but meanwhile there's songs where it seems as Non-GNR like as possible - like the version of YCBM on that show....

In the newest version...well I think some of the problem is you've yet to see these guys shine on their own material. At least with the 2000 band even though a lot of people hated their AFD renditions, people saw a glimpse of what they can do with stuff like Maddy.

The modern band is sort of a mix. Generally it's closer and more respectful to the traditional nature of the songs - Axl's back singing with rasp - and DJ plays the melodies much closer to the studio versions. While bumble is around to maintain the advante guard kind of stuff - he can cover bucket's parts - and play his own touches that he added to CD....So it's sort of a hybrid now....it's not as "out there" from traditional GNR as the 2000 band...but as they've solifified into a 9 man lineup or whatever the fuck these days with bumble and pitman as perminant fixtures - it's also a very long way from an AFD era pub gig.

I think people dislike the current band as they see DJ as a slash clone, and bumble as a bucket copy. I hope that when we hear new material that image will fade. I think the current band is good in that it seems respectful of slash/bucket's past in the band - bottom line is - when they play songs I know from slash and bucket - I want them to play them like they were recorded - and this band does that. It's much better than them getting up there and reinventing the wheel by improvising the whole sweet child solo or something....but I like to think that eventually the close perception will fade when we get some music from this core unit. Could be a long way off - but I think chops wise both DJ and bumble are very fine players with a lot of tallent - so there's a lot of possibiity when you add their abilities in with Axl's genius for great stuff to happen - and for this line up to become much better accepted eventually I think.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Riad wrote:

^^^^ It wasn't when DJ came it was when ficnk left, be honest. And now you know how the reunionsts feel, but maybe even a little more despairing since finck is gone forever whereas a reunion could well happen.

It's Guns N Roses 7 or some shit like that now. It hasnt been Guns N Roses since '89

There's about 700 people that could've replaced R   o    bin that I would've still got the "Guns N' Roses" vibe from. DJ just isn't that guy.

Russ, you obviously hate DJ, so that has a lot to do with it.  You have your reasons, and they're certainly valid, so that's fine.  For one, DJ is a much different guitar player than Robin was, so in a sense the band is changing directions again.  It seems as if they're going back towards the blues based rock, so if you were excited about the industrial type movement, etc. then it would make sense that you wouldn't approve of the current state.

Other than that, I don't get it.  People have been complaining for years about the absence of Slash and now we have the closest thing to a replacement as you can get (in style, not in talent), and people still aren't satisfied.  Obviously, people will only be pleased if there's a reunion, but come now, that doesn't appear to be on the horizon.  No matter how much you continue to hate the current GNR lineup.  Give in a little.  It'll make you feel better.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
russtcb wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

But I have no interest in this band with DJ Ashba involved, to me it is as embarrassing as liking Bon Jovi.

I really can't explain it, but ever since Ashba joined, me whole stance on this being GNR has changed. And before everybody gets all excited about the revolving door prior; I am well aware of how many people came and went in GNR before Ashba joined.

But for some reason, even when Bucket disappeared and Ron replaced him, then Brain disappeared -mid tour- and Frank replaced him, I still viewed it as Guns N' Roses. It very much felt, sounded and looked like Guns N' Roses to me.

But something changed around the time Ashba joined. Literally ever since that day, it hasn't felt like Guns N' Roses to me anymore. As I said, I know it's weird/odd, whatever, but it's my true feelings.

I feel the same way.

It's because Ashba is a B or even a C list performer. He's a cheap Crue replica that's simply not at the level required to be in GNR. His involvement cheapens the brand, and that's after we've already accepted a revolving door of talented musicians.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
Cramer wrote:
russtcb wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

I really can't explain it, but ever since Ashba joined, me whole stance on this being GNR has changed. And before everybody gets all excited about the revolving door prior; I am well aware of how many people came and went in GNR before Ashba joined.

But for some reason, even when Bucket disappeared and Ron replaced him, then Brain disappeared -mid tour- and Frank replaced him, I still viewed it as Guns N' Roses. It very much felt, sounded and looked like Guns N' Roses to me.

But something changed around the time Ashba joined. Literally ever since that day, it hasn't felt like Guns N' Roses to me anymore. As I said, I know it's weird/odd, whatever, but it's my true feelings.

I feel the same way.

It's because Ashba is a B or even a C list performer. He's a cheap Crue replica that's simply not at the level required to be in GNR. His involvement cheapens the brand, and that's after we've already accepted a revolving door of talented musicians.

LOL

Board footer