You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Post your favourite fookin' GNR songs and tell us why!

Axlin16 wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Bit of a long one, and I'm drunk so bare with me...

I've loved The Blues/SOD since I first heard it, but my favourite part is the outro, I fucking adore those vocals and melodies.

First I heard it was RIR3, I remember rewinding the cassette recording I had over and over - I never even knew all the words, I just loved the melody of the vocals:

Then I got access to the internet when I went college and found the new songs played at the HOB 01/01/01 show on mygnr.com. I used to sit in the library at night with earphones in listening to those songs over and over, especially that outro to The Blues. I loved how after that piano break Axl and everyone else comes crashing back in simultaneously after that tiny moment of silence when the piano stops:

The we started getting those soundboard recordings during the 02 tour and I finally got a decent copy of the song, the famous Boston performance, the song had changed, it was slower but I kinda liked that change, to me it made it all the more powerfull and Axl sings the whole thing so damn good, especially that outro:

Then 2006 came around it had changed again, for the worse, but there was one performance that blew me away. It was at Rock Am Ring and for the most part the performance of the song sucked, but that damn outro, once again it was nectar to my ears. Axl sang it differently on this one night, and it was probably the best its ever sounded:

Then we got the official release, again the outro was slightly different to what we'd heard before and unique in its own way, but yet again its a stand out moment and was for me one of the highlights of the whole damn album:

And finally... the track that keeps on giving lol - I came across one of these RB remixes, an instrumental of the track, and once more that outro delivers something new.
An orchestral melody thats completely buried in the album version, its gorgeous and it gives the end a whole new vibe when you hear it there on its own:

"What this means to me is more than I know you believe,
What I thought of you now, has cost more than it should for me,
What I thought was true before were lies I couldnt see,
What I thought was beautiful... is only memories."

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I love that album version...but I do love in that live boot from 02 how Axl sings the synth line at about 3:35

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Yeah that was awesome, I was suprised it wasnt on the album. Infact I've always thought that when it gets to that moment on the studio versions, Axl sounds like his vocal is cut off prematurely, its just stops out of sync with everything else. Mabye it was there and they cut it out?

I must have sat for half an hour last night listening to that instrumental of the outro over and over, absolutely fantastic!

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

bucket

Nuff said.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

One of the best songs under the GN'R name -- and I think the official studio version is the absolute best.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

[youtube]KB0CkrK-OvE&list=FLahlpZDnw1nVwDz7IOQRObA&index=13[/youtube]

Q.Hi Axl,

Just wanted to ask this: out of all of the music you have written, what song are you most proud of?

A. Right now a lot on this album. For me musically it would have to be the orchestral arrangement in the bridge of TIL.

Q. Axl, do you think This I Love is still the heaviest thing you've written, or has another song popped up that now holds that title?

A.That's still it and ultimately a great healing experience to compose something you have no real idea you're capable of such as the bridge. It's a lot more intricate than I think most realize yet as the guitar and vocals are placed as they should be so dominant. The main string melody in that section I had originally written to a hip-hop loop as well.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

One of the best songs under the GN'R name -- and I think the official studio version is the absolute best.

Damn good tune, but, had all the instruments been more "live" sounding, it wouldn't already sound "dated"... The intro reminds me of avatar...  I am not a big fan of the sampled drum beats or whatever they are called...  Not a big fan of synths in general either...

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
Olorin wrote:

[youtube]KB0CkrK-OvE&list=FLahlpZDnw1nVwDz7IOQRObA&index=13[/youtube]

Q.Hi Axl,

Just wanted to ask this: out of all of the music you have written, what song are you most proud of?

A. Right now a lot on this album. For me musically it would have to be the orchestral arrangement in the bridge of TIL.

Q. Axl, do you think This I Love is still the heaviest thing you've written, or has another song popped up that now holds that title?

A.That's still it and ultimately a great healing experience to compose something you have no real idea you're capable of such as the bridge. It's a lot more intricate than I think most realize yet as the guitar and vocals are placed as they should be so dominant. The main string melody in that section I had originally written to a hip-hop loop as well.

I asked that second question...can't believe it's been YEARS since those chats.

Board footer