You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Post your favourite fookin' GNR songs and tell us why!

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

There's so much greatness in that Ritz '88 show, that it's downright HARD not to select every performance of an AFD song from that show as 'best live performance'.

So much raw, Sex Pistols-like energy. I threw Easy Paris '92 & Mr. B Argentina '92 as second choices.

The thing I love about that Ritz show is it's one of the only times Axl absolutely nailed SCOM. Just fuckin' nailed it. The band as a whole also nailed KOHD. Ironically, the studio versions of these two songs were played on "Two For Tuesday" this morning while I was on my way to work. I couldn't help but think I should send the Ritz version of KOHD to the radio station and request that they stop playing the shitty, overproduced studio version. I know it'll never happen, but anyone with halfway decent taste would agree that the Ritz version of it blows the studio version completely out of the water. Ritz version is fucking epic.

Anyway, if I had to narrow things down on my list of GN'R songs it would probably look something like this:

Mr. Brownstone - love the lyrics, love the groove
Sweet Child O' Mine - love the tempo and Slash's solo
Rocket Queen - wonderful transition from sleazy to heartfelt
Patience - love the lyrics, love Axl's voice
Don't Cry - love the guitars, love Axl's voice

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

The Ritz version and pretty much any live version from that time period (87-88) fucking rocks. I have a hard time listening to the UYI version. The original band playing KOHD is a masterpiece.

Knock, knock, knockin on Heaven's fucking door!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I always loved how the Ritz version of KOHD was a video on MTV during that wait for UYI.

The live version at The Marquee was played like it was a single from 87 until that bullshit version was released from that Days of Thunder soundtrack.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

The Ritz version and pretty much any live version from that time period (87-88) fucking rocks. I have a hard time listening to the UYI version. The original band playing KOHD is a masterpiece.

Knock, knock, knockin on Heaven's fucking door!

The saddest thing to me is all the casual listeners out there who think the studio version is great. Seriously, go on iTunes and it is in the top 5-10 most downloaded GN'R songs on there. I just wish these folks were able to hear the Ritz version. They can go on YouTube to find it, but that requires knowledge of its existence to begin with.

Sky Dog wrote:

Ritz version is average at best...I'll take the one the played on the radio so much in 1988 from the Marquee in London....that is the one for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY0Ilajf … re=related

bad ass...tight, no bullshit.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
madagas wrote:

Ritz version is average at best...I'll take the one the played on the radio so much in 1988 from the Marquee in London....that is the one for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY0Ilajf … re=related

bad ass...tight, no bullshit.

Axl and the band sound a shitload better at the Ritz on that particular song. Sorry. 19

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Madagas getting a tad harsh in his old age. tongue Wouldn't consider anything from that Ritz show "average at best", but he's right.....That KOHD at the Marquee was killer on the radio. Radio pushed that version while MTV pushed the Ritz version during the UYI wait.

Both kick ass.  9

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I've always liked this version of November Rain.  The fact that it was the last show of the original era lineup makes it even sadder.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

[youtube]TBItZJ9OV3Q&feature=related[/youtube]

GNR at their peak at the biggest concert in the world, owning the fucking stage.. This is one of the best UYI ERA performances of PC, everyone is SO FUCKING INTO IT.  Though Slash plays this song better now, I love how everyone is going ape shit... This song NEVER gets old to me and is just an awesome closer, the ultimate GNR anthem.

**edit, even Sorum is rocking the fuck out.  Axl is such a badass here and Slash is the pure definition of cool..  GNR, greatest hard rock band ever, they had it all.

Board footer