You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: DUFF MCKAGAN Interviewed At Italy's GODS OF METAL Festival

faldor wrote:

I think that's just the type of person he is, which is why some of his in concert rants are legendary.  He gets pissed off at certain things from time to time.  We only see or hear from him in bits and pieces though.  I would hope he's not like that all the time, and I'm sure that's the case.  I'm sure he has plenty of happy moments in his life.  Unfortunately, we don't get to see that side of him quite as often.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Lately it's been nothing but vitriol. Even when Slash would take shots at Axl in the media, he would usually praise Axl's talent at the same time. Slash is quite the passive-aggressive motherfucker

I'm not sure that is really passive agressive.
Truely passive agressive people apply indirect resistance to the demands of others and avoid direct confrontations.

Slash said Axl's talent is enormous but he couldn't work with his idea on how the band should work and how the band carried itself in the live arena (late shows etc).

I always thought he was quite straight about it all. He also admitted he was less than gracious in the early days and that he regrets his actions.

Read what Izzy said about Axl in public, waaaay worse than anything Slash ever said.

I've seen nothing from Axl other than pure hostility. Axl has never listed his gripes with Slash in a clear & public manner to justify his position.

I don't believe he is holding back for reasons of honour/legality etc, I just think its cause he hasn't got anything worth being this angry about and he knows it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

if you write a book to put your band members in a bad light, which seems to be a direct shot at Slash's book, which was basically nothing but a 'fuck Axl' poster

I didn't get that from Slash's book at all. I thought he was very fair to Axl and did say when he was negative that it was his opinion and to be taken as just that.

Where did you feel he was pummelling Axl unfairly?

Also, in early VR interviews both Slash & Duff spoke candidly about 'not wanting to work in a dictatorship' when referring to Axl.

Just cause this stuff is not in  Duff's book it doesn't mean there was no shit. Duff did leave GNR just like Izzy & Slash before him. All citing the same type of reasons.

Duff just found peace sooner than Slash.

When I was speaking, I was talking as if speaking from Axl's perspective.

When I personally read the book, I thought it was alot nicer and and easier on Axl then I expected. Slash criticized Axl, but also praised him for being a unique frontman that put GN'R over the top. Replacing Axl wasn't as easy as Alan Niven, Geffen Records, Steven Tyler & Paul Stanley all told them they should. Axl just as much made GN'R what it became as Slash. I do think it's interesting reading Slash's book, how many people pressured them to dump Axl because he was considered a "head case", even then.

As for Slash's book, I can see Axl's perspective too. If I was Axl and I was reading Slash's book, we're already estranged, our relationship is beyond strained... and THAT'S what I read? I would see it totally as another slam. Axl did, and I agree with him on that front.

And Duff only claimed his leaving on "Axl's dictatorship" later on when he joined up with Slash, Izzy & Matt later on.

Axl stated in 2000 that Duff left because he didn't like the timetable on when GN'R would be getting back out on the road and releasing new music, because Axl was dragging his ass. Duff also stated this a couple of times, pre-VR.

Then he switched to the "fuck Axl" bandwagon when he met back up with the old guys.

Then when he met back up with Axl in 2010, it was back to the "I left because we weren't moving forward with any new music, and I wanted to stay busy and not sit around" story.

As for which is the truth? Duff seems to have played both sides, and even himself stated - "who knows the real truth". The truth is, when Duff is with Slash, "Axl was a dictator", and when Duff's with Axl, it's "we weren't cutting new music or touring".

Just depends on the day, and who he's having dinner with imho.

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

This one REALLY caught me. I think there's more to that statement. He already called Slash's book "his truth", then turns around and basically says you're not a man if you write a book to put your band members in a bad light, which seems to be a direct shot at Slash's book, which was basically nothing but a 'fuck Axl' poster.

When I read it, I was actually more surprised by how much he praised Axl. Can you imagine Axl offering a similar level of praise for "the cancer" known as Slash?

I was also suprised at how much he praised Axl.

But he was still overtly negative. Slash has never been the "fuck him, fuck his manager, fuck his sister" type. He's more passive-aggressive and makes back-handed comments. Even Axl's stated he's done this since the AFD days.

As for what Axl would do... I think with Axl's inconsistency over Slash, and his mood - you'd probably get something similar to Slash's book. He'd probably say how wonderful Slash was during the late 80's, how he stopped pushing himself at start of the 90's, barely pulled off the Illusions, and sucked afterward.

The cancer comments would also continued. But in terms of cutting Slash 800 times with a fucking razor in the book... nah, I don't think he hates him that much. I think Axl would spend his book slamming numerous people, other than Slash. From his mother, to his father, to his step-father, to his first 10 girlfriends, Love Erin, Fuck Steph, Fuck Universal, Fuck VH1, Fuck MTV, Love Loder tho, Fuck the cops, Fuck St. Louis, Fuck Bush, Fuck Obama...

That would go on and on, and by the time it was over his comments on Slash would seem like unbrideled love.

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

This one REALLY caught me. I think there's more to that statement. He already called Slash's book "his truth", then turns around and basically says you're not a man if you write a book to put your band members in a bad light, which seems to be a direct shot at Slash's book, which was basically nothing but a 'fuck Axl' poster.

When I read it, I was actually more surprised by how much he praised Axl. Can you imagine Axl offering a similar level of praise for "the cancer" known as Slash?

I believe he has, years ago before he started slamming Slash.  He said he loved him, he was a great guitarist.  All those things.  All the while Slash was taking digs and jabs at Axl.

That's how I remember it. I remember (according to Weiland), being near-reunion in 2006, Izzy, Matt & Steven were hanging with Axl, and Axl was being REALLY sweet on Slash.

Slash continued talking trash AND filing baseless lawsuits.

Axl's goodwill died as a result. So Slash fucked himself there. As soon as Axl let that wall down, Slash dicked it up and fucked the whole thing up - not Axl.

That was the one time I felt like Slash could be just as much of a stupid, egotistical, money-hungry prick as Axl.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

That was the one time I felt like Slash could be just as much of a stupid, egotistical, money-hungry prick as Axl.

That was the one time? The collaborations with Fergie and her ilk didn't evoke the same feeling for ya? 16

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

then turns around and basically says you're not a man if you write a book to put your band members in a bad light, which seems to be a direct shot at Slash's book, which was basically nothing but a 'fuck Axl' poster.

Not what I took from it.

I took it as duff saying that he knows he could sell more copies if he wrote a nasty vindictive drama filled book full of the dirty secrets of all of the guys.

He knows that's what the public wants - vicarious rockstar living via reading of disgraceful antics and to read about drama and insanity.

I just read it as him saying that he could write a novel about Axl or Slash or anyone and diss them but that he's not going to put the commerical interest above his ethics.

As for Slash's book. To me slash's book avoided any serious Axl abusing - other than dealing with the unavoidable fact that slash ended up leaving GNR due to the breakdown of his relationship with Axl.

To me slash's whole book read as like him putting his version out there of why he's not currently in GNR, and why there's not yet been a reunion.

I felt most of the things that made Axl look bad were done to provide a context and background and justification for Slash's own choices. And he says in it that he knows it's only his viewpoint and how it seemed at the time.

Didn't seem to be much abusing for the sake of it, and in fact, he also spends a good deal of time praising Axl's good qualities.

To get into the broader "Slash bashing of Axl in the media". In my opinion he just stoped appoligising for him. Back in 1993 when GNR came here Slash did an interview on TV - assuring the nation that GNR wasn't all evil - despire izzy pissing on a plane, and dispite the St louis riot and so on. He was always asked that kind of shit - and because the band were a gang or whatever - he's sweet talk some kind of reason for them all.

When he left GNR, it's not like he insitgated a bunch of "fuck axl" talk to me - but if we're honest Axl already had a bad rep (rightly or unfairly) - and I think slash just stoped making excuses for it.

I've never met the guy - but to me it seems fair to say that he's clearly one of the most talented people in the world- but it would also appear that at times he might be difficult if he gets upset.

That's what I see as the truth of it. He's not a devil and he's not a saint.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I remember (according to Weiland), being near-reunion in 2006, Izzy, Matt & Steven were hanging with Axl, and Axl was being REALLY sweet on Slash.

Slash continued talking trash AND filing baseless lawsuits.

Axl's goodwill died as a result. So Slash fucked himself there. As soon as Axl let that wall down, Slash dicked it up and fucked the whole thing up - not Axl.

I think your dates are not correct, and it makes all the conclusions wrong. Slash N' Duff DROPPED the lawsuit in late 2005, a few months after Slash visited Axl's house (during the period when the reunion rumours were getting stronger, from Halfin and Lars etc.).

The supposed(?) reunion collapsed in the spring of 2006, when Axl wanted to hijack all the other old guys' rights to the old stuff, in the same paper that had the reunion tour conditions. Slash N' Co were lucky, cuase one of their lawyers found that hidden clasure nobody knew earlier. So Slash wasn't the money-hungry prick who killed the reuinon. BTW that was the time when Axl started the housevisit-gate.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

That's how I remember it. I remember (according to Weiland), being near-reunion in 2006, Izzy, Matt & Steven were hanging with Axl, and Axl was being REALLY sweet on Slash.

Slash continued talking trash AND filing baseless lawsuits

Did Slash not mention that he made demands that things must change like like no more late starts, walk offs and hangers on etc and he got no agreement to that so stayed away?

Duff was also part of that law suit too - that has to be acknowledged. A SOBER business-savy Duff too for that matter.

Duff and Slash have enough money to stay away from Axl. Matt would probably ride a trike in circles naked around the stage while Axl sung the Barney song if he could get back on board for the check.

Poor Steven would probably blow the band and swallow for half Matt's amount!

Izzy is just Izzy; he ploughs his own field.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

That was the one time? The collaborations with Fergie and her ilk didn't evoke the same feeling for ya? 16

What i'm referring to happened before those incidents. Slash continued to go further down hill into a mixed bag.

I think Beautiful Dangerous is actually one of the best tracks on Slash 2010. But keeping it "in studio" should've stayed that way. I actually was one of the very few people that liked the Cypress Hill/Fergie collaboration on the remix of Paradise City.

So i'm not biased against Fergie per say.

But American Idol appearences, Super Bowl performances with BLACK EYED PEAS (not just Fergie), and then Slash felt he saved face by blowing off Glee??!?!!?

Fuck off man, Slash as much as you kicked ass at the show I saw you at, your image is practically the bukkake of rock. You're drenched in Hollywood jizz.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Was thinking this morning I don't think we'll ever see a reunion.

Here's why:

Premise 1: Slash has said he won't go on stage with Axl unless he gets a guarentee that Axl won't go on late/walk off.

Premise 2: Slash is able to make a suitable living from what you kids describe as he's media whoring / VR / Snakepit / Solo that he can set his own terms to come back - so he has no reason to deviate.

Conclusion 1: Slash really wont come back unless Axl changes.

Premise 3: Axl has come on late in situations where it only fucks himself over - IE when he was in full control of GNR and stood to make profits - but yet delayed shows - got fines - terrible media reports etc.

Premise 4: Logically from premise 3, whatever causes Axl to come on late is either not voluntary or operates independently to reason  (ie is emotion/anxiety/mindstate driven etc) and has not changed in the 25 or so years axl's been peforming.

Premise 5:  Logically then, Axl is most likely not able to change this feature.

Conclusion: Even if they sort of out the friendship, even if they sort out business rights to the name/profits - neither of which are even on the table - even then - it seems unlikely we'll ever get a real agreement for a reunion - as the key feature keeping slash away is the thing axl can't change.

Which may be a hint at why he feels hurt by slash.

But I'm just speculating.

Only way out would be if they fix the frienship enough that slash can tollerate a late start sometimes. Or if slash's businesses got fucked up enough that he was desperate. Neither of those is likely though.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Totally disagree. You guys credit Slash's backbone WAY too much. The only reason Slash dicked up the reunion in 2006, was because he felt he had VR in his back pocket. VR is dead (sorry but it is), and when Slash's next solo album bombs with Myles (and it will, don't mean to be a dick, but I know it's gonna tank), Slash will be butt up with a flower in it, and need GN'R back. VR will be done, his solo career will be on life support, and that BIG paycheck will be gone.

Has Slash ever struck you as the kind of guy to take his residuals and go home and not do anything? No... unless he wants to OD on junk. The guy has said for as long as i've known of him he has to stay busy to stay off drugs, and he has to have a spotlight for attention.

This leaves one option - GN'R.

The reason, if any, that a reunion won't happen - is that Axl doesn't want him there. Period. Slash holds literally NO CARDS in a potential reunion. And the sooner he realizes that, the better off he's gonna be. Regardless of what people think, Axl obviously has no problem recasting lead guitarists in GN'R and going out and doing stadiums in South America, and Festival shows in Asia & Europe, with an Axl/Dizzy-only GN'R.

I have no doubt Slash will break, and eventually want Guns back. IF Axl wants him back. And IF Axl does want him back, Slash will eventually suck it up with that 'lateness' thing. AND as soon as he runs his mouth off about it to the press on tour or is a dick to Axl on stage... guess who's out of the band tomorrow and replaced by DJ? Slash.

Slash calls no shots on a reunion, and despite all the bullshit, it's obvious that Izzy, Gilby, Duff & Steven (and probably Matt) have no problem playing on stage with a Slash-less GN'R.

I just can't believe in 2011 that Slash fans, and Slash himself still think he holds some kind of weight in Axl's camp. It stuns me really. Any leverage he had, he signed away in 1991.

Board footer