You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: Ok, you're Slash & VRs new manager, what would you do?

Intercourse wrote:

Most of you like me, have spent large amounts of your goof-off time writing / talking and thinking about GNR / Slash / VR etc.

If you had ABSOLUTE power over Slash & VR right now, today and were told by a major label to submit a plan to bring all of these people back to headlining positions in the industry, what would you do?

For me I would be putting forward the following:

Goodbye Velvet Revolver, hello 'Revolver'.

VR is a done deal I think. Too much baggage and too much of Scott all over it. I am a big STP fan and liked much of VRs work but the band seem blocked because of his legacy so I would suggest changing the 'brand name' to free them up a bit.

It may be risky but I'd drop 'Velvet' from the name or start a new band. 'Velvet' was a Scott addition after all. Bear with me...

I would propose a new type of band model where the backing band would always be Slash/Duff/Izzy/Matt but they would do a single album with a singer of their choice, tour it and then get a different singer for the next album.

This could attract the likes of Dave Grohl, Chris Cornell, Chris Robinson, Chester Bennington, Josh Homme & Mike Patton to the table. They can dive in with Revolver for 18 months, have a blast and get out. If they sell 5 million albums, GREAT, do a follow up! If not, no harm...NEXT!! The name 'revolver' would suit the ethos of the band because of the revolving nature of the lead singer position.

I think it could push the guys to play out of their skins to meet the expectations of their new muse and the fans would always be eagerly waiting to hear what the new sound will be with the new singer. Likewise for the new singer, its the almost original GNR for fuck's sake..bring your A game.

Slash Solo
For me, I would have to be careful managing Slash. I don't think its fair for him to hold up the others from releasing music they all appear to like, especially if he always says he loves and respects the 'band dynamic'.

Still I would suspect Matt and Dave K are probably a bit more desperate for 'profile' than Slash is right now so there may be a quality control vs total control issue that each side have fallen out about that would need to be dealt with and nipped in the bud.

People seemed to love Slash working with new singers so I could imagine the whole of the 'UYI GNR' doing so could bring about a big reaction..

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Great thread idea. This is a hypothetical...cos I do love new GNR as well...but just in terms of what could be done to stirr the pott so to speak!

I think rock is a niche product these days - so I don't think there is a design brief that would take them to the top of the pop charts - however - I believe Velvet Revolver should be operating on the same level as players like Bon Jovi, Metallica, Ac/Dc and similar outfits from the 1980s that are financially more sucessful touring now than in their musical primes.

I beleive the ideal time to do this was after firing scott and prior to the solo project going ahead.

1. Hire a singer capiable of hitting Axl's range (even though we all know no one delivers quite what Axl does) - but someone like Miljenko Matijevic or Myles Kenedy that can hit those super high notes.

2. Line up should be Slash, Duff, Izzy and Matt + singer. Or if Izzy won't playfull time get Gilby. Or if keeping Dave get him out of modern/grunge style tunings. I'd actually like to see drumming be shared between matt and steve...that would be a real show of "look we all can sort our shit out except axl"

3. Stealing from the above post - rebrand the band to get away from the scott image.

4. Come out in the press and say you are the new GNR. Enough with the backhanded complements to Axl and the doublespeak designed to protect a reuion. Face that it's not comming. Don't have to trash new GNR but just say that you have regrouped to finsih the GNR legacy and given Axl wants to do industrial and won't play ball he isn't invited. Your mission isn't to be grunge or modern rock or in any way to be ashamed of UYI or AFD. it's to finish what was started.

5. Release Album/EP. The perfect one for this was already the solo album. Imagine "By The Sword" and the other GNResque tracks on that album with the full UYI line up and then a high-range vocalist. Would be very close to an AFD/UYI style record. But given that's been. Just record a new one.

6. Tour. Just like GNR tours with a mostly classic hits set list. Swap out the CD tracks for tracks from the above EP. Basicly 2 or 3 new tracks. Mostly AFD/UYI - add in plenty of UYI that new GNR has left for dead. I'd model the set list on what Ac/Dc does - stage design and 2 or 3 songs from the newest album (that's the excuse for tour afterall) and then a whole shit ton of the songs people grew up listening to and want to hear. Tour EVERYWHERE as slash likes to do - and with no cancelations, no late starts, no riots, no drama.

7. repeat. New album every 3 years or so. New Tour. Everyone does full press. The band is able to operate really functionally like how something like metallica does these days all kinda apperances,  interviews, tab books, guitar clinics the whole bit. Every album cycle do it again. A couple of new tracks - ac/dc style - then its back out there being GNR.

Yes it's lame to have a GNR without Axl. But the end of the day most fans of rockbands want the bands to be as close to the classic lineups as possible - and when it comes down to it - 4/5 of GNR should come close to trumping 1/5 of GNR - if they decided to get down and dirty and just BE gnr and stop trying to be modern rock.

(Although the exception to this I think is Baz, as Baz is more Skid Row than Skid Row are without him...so it doesn't always work).

GNR could never really BE gnr without rose...but I think because the 4/5 of GNR are so insanely talented - after a few years of doing this they'd have put out some decent albums (slash already has - but imagine how good snakepit/vr would have been if it had full GNR line up and was trying to be a GNR style record) - and I think we'd have GNR as one of those bands where there's two distinct eras of the band - the axl and the post axl legacy. Sort of like Van hallen has David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar eras...and there's a love hate over what's better. But doing it under a brand new name avoids too much hate anyway.

Basicly VR started the right way - but then they neutered slash/izzy riffage - and because scott has limited range they can't cover anything other than patience. But imagine with a singer that can do ANY gnr song - and then the uyi line up doing full GNR sets with 2 new tracks. Wouldn't be long before they got some serious approval from fans IMO.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Posted by FunkyMonkey over at HTGTH

Maybe add another option to the list.

SCOTT WEILAND MAKES UP WITH VELVET REVOLVER: ‘MAYBE WE’LL DO SOME SHOWS SOME TIME’

by: Amy Sciarretto 1 hour ago

Never say never. That’s the viewpoint Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland had adopted when it comes to his other former band, Velvet Revolver. Weiland reports that he is once again friends with Slash and the rest of the group, and says not to rule out an on-stage reunion at some point in the future.

In a recent interview with Classic Rock magazine, Weiland reflected somewhat wistfully on his time in Velvet Revolver, which paired him with former principal members of Guns N’ Roses, saying, “That was a magical thing, too. That was right when I was getting off dope and those guys were all sober and clean, and I had a very special kind of kinship because we’d all experienced the same things.”

Weiland intimated that there was a fraternal camaraderie in the band: “It felt like us against the world: ‘We’re gonna play just pure rock ‘n’ roll.’ And I think we did a really good job of it. It was a great band to see live, and I think we made two exciting albums.”

So it’s great to see that after the expected nastiness that follows a breakup, the musicians are all friends again, even staying in contact thanks to technology. Weiland admitted, “We patched things up and we get along. I see them every now and again, we text each other.”

He also offered up a little sliver of hope to diehard VR fans, saying, “And you know, we can never say never. Who knows, maybe we’ll do some shows some time.” That’s good news, especially since Velvet Revolver still haven’t found a replacement for the singer, having shelved recent material recorded with Slipknot’s Corey Taylor.

One can dream, right?

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/scott-we … -together/

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

No Scott, thank you. You've done enough damage with limiting the band's music. Time to turn a page.

I really like the idea of different singers. It'd be amazing to see how a (vital) part changes the whole band's dynamics. They wouldn't have to worry too much, since one record doesn't work well, then the next will. It's not a marriage, but a short-time relationship with nothing to lose, so you can really enjoy it. Then if it's so great - then no need to change it.

On the second guitarist situation: Dave should go, I agree, but with Izzy, it'd never work. He hates singers badly. But the world is full of talented guitarists, it wouldn't be that hard to get one.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Buck N Roses had the most potential.

Lomax wrote:

Buckcherry and Guns N Roses?

Didn't songs for that end up on 15 ???

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I was thinking recently a VR reunion is more likely than a GNR one.

Scott already showed with STP that he is capiable of healing old fights.

And you notice every time the band talks about him it gets softer language.

Consider MAtt: "t’s hard to replace Scott for that particular band, I think. It’s a bit of a gray era.”". It wasn't so gray when they kicked him out as I recall!!!

But if he comes back I hope they do some of the heavier material they seem to have been holding back.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Lock Chester Bennington in the studio until he agrees to record with them. Get Izzy on board as a songwriter. Keep Kushner on board (or, possibly, get Dave Navarro in as second guitar).

Record a stripped-down, raw rock record - a couple of weeks in the studio should do the trick. Tour it.

THIS IS ALL YOU NEED TO FUCKING WELL DO, VELVET REVOLVER.

nugdafied wrote:

I would like to see Slash record another solo album featuring guest vocalists with an instrumental or two thrown in...have people like Chris Robinson, Pink, Dave Mustaine, Ville Valo, ect...and cut tracks with the Josh Freese's of the world as the band again...then tour with Myles & Co. all over again!!!

But yeah, VR is dead...they had a nice run with some singles that still get radio play, but no need to keep the name...

Board footer