You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: 2011-12 Guns n Roses Tour

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm guessing this isn't happening.  Until I hear it from the horses mouth, I don't care how specific the rumor is.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

I'm guessing it's happening! Jarmo even tweeted the link! That's a confirmation in this crazy world we call GNR!
smile

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah, it's as close to a sure thing as you can get in the world of GNR.  Jarmo even mentioned a full TOUR, so I'd expect more US dates to follow.  Although, I would've expected that regardless.  All signs have been and continue to point to this actually happening.  And it's ABOUT TIME!

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

I'll be down in Miami, if anybody else will be (assuming this is true) hit me up.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

If they make it to jersey then the blacktooth grins are on me all night long.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'll probably go if they do a Frisco or Sac show. Having said that, I'm gonna say what I said before the 2006 US tour started.....

If you don't have a new product on the shelves when the tour starts, expect a short tour with half filled venues.

If you're not gonna have new product on shelves, do a promo blitz showing this is strictly a nostalgia act, add a killer opener to put asses in seats(and that opener NOT be Baz), and maybe even re-release the GH disc or release a new GH set.

This tour needs to be handled professionally. You cant have inexperienced people doing the behind the scenes work when it comes to a US tour.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

They won't do any of that, I can bet my last buck. Which is ridiculous because the American market, with the exception of particular cities, does poorly when compared with the rest of the world. But just like any other business, they probably just look at the net yield at the end of the tour. That's all that really matters anyway, ignoring the embarrassment of half empty arenas.

Really the key is doing smaller venues, showing up on time, and putting on a helluva show. They already do 1/3 of that anyway, so how hard is to NOT make people wait and book what would sell out?

Also at this point, Axl has been touring on Chinese Democracy for a decade, which is a total joke.

I do wonder how the Miami turn out will be though. That city, as everybody knows, has a heavy Latin influence. As we also know they (Latins) are fucking crazy for GnR, so they may very well sell out that arena.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Cramer wrote:

They won't do any of that, I can bet my last buck. Which is ridiculous because the American market, with the exception of particular cities, does poorly when compared with the rest of the world. But just like any other business, they probably just look at the net yield at the end of the tour. That's all that really matters anyway, ignoring the embarrassment of half empty arenas.

Really the key is doing smaller venues, showing up on time, and putting on a helluva show. They already do 1/3 of that anyway, so how hard is to NOT make people wait and book what would sell out?

Also at this point, Axl has been touring on Chinese Democracy for a decade, which is a total joke.

I do wonder how the Miami turn out will be though. That city, as everybody knows, has a heavy Latin influence. As we also know they (Latins) are fucking crazy for GnR, so they may very well sell out that arena.

You said it.  We can educate the band all day and night about how they should conduct their tours.  But if they're making money the way they're doing it, and I suspect they are, then the need to change isn't all that great.

I don't expect much of anything to change either.  They'll tour Chinese Democracy again (in the US), but this time the album is actually out.  And obviously it doesn't seem that Axl is wildly enthusiastic about pushing CD or any future material at the moment.  Maybe he'll get there one day, but this is where we're at for now.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Yup, I'd guess thats the nail on the head Faldor.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Yeah its time to move on from CD even if it means being a 100% nostalgia act. Its old news(was old news even when released) and 99.9% of the crowd attending doesn't give a shit about it. They could do a set that contains ZERO songs from CD and the crowd wouldn't complain. A few forum junkies might complain they didn't get to hear Sorry or whatever, but that's just how things are in 2011. He missed the boat on a legit comeback with CD and he needs to swing for the fences again and see what happens(unlikely), or just market it as an oldies act.

Since we're obviously nowhere near a second album, I wouldn't mind them doing what Soundgarden did and release a GH set with one new song and just ram that down our throats. A set that consists of the main hits, rotating other classics night to night, and one new song(NOT from CD) that is on a GH set, video game, soundtrack, or simply a single released on Itunes is about as close to perfect as it could get at this point.

Also agree on smaller venues. A highly successful, limited, sold out US theater/club tour would do wonders for GNR.

Whoever routed/scheduled that 2006-07 tour needs to be lynched. A trillion central cali shows scheduled when you cant even sellout ONE? The ONLY northern/central cali show to sellout was The Warfield in Frisco, which holds like 3 or 4 thousand people. That should have gave them a clue on how to approach a US tour, although the Joint in Vegas didn't sellout and it holds the same amount of people.

Only guaranteed sellouts(arena or smaller) in the US are NY and LA. Everything else is a crap shoot.

The US is an entirely different beast compared to other markets.

Board footer