You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: 2011-12 Guns n Roses Tour

nugdafied wrote:

I just can't believe Axl is even attempting an arena tour in the US. The guy is just so disconnected from reality. Axl is 0 for 2 so far in finishing fakegnr US tours...I'm betting he strikes out on three pitches to make it 0 for 3. Regardless, it'll be great theatre to follow online.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
madagas wrote:
Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

PROMO POSTER SAYS "over 2 hours of all THEIR classic hits".....doesn't sound like a Chinese Democracy tour to me.

that shit has always bugged the fuck out of me and always will. Yeah yeah we get it THIS IS Guns N`Roses but to promote it like they`ll be playing all THEIR classics hits is just fucking lame, stupid, ridiculous, moronic, idiotic and.... FUCKED! Like honestly who`s classics? Yeah that's what I thought NOT theirs.

agree...sounds silly but nothing is sensible in the world of Axl and the Malibu Mafia...hate to say it, but I think this US tour will tank. They need to pick their cities and venues VERY carefully.:|

Not the kind of direction any of us would like. I am here for the current band and Chinese. Not that interested in Axl and a cover band doing old hits..because if they don't do Chinese..then that's what it basically is. Chinese and forward. Not Chinese and backward goddamnit.

Sky Dog wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

I just can't believe Axl is even attempting an arena tour in the US. The guy is just so disconnected from reality. Axl is 0 for 2 so far in finishing fakegnr US tours...I'm betting he strikes out on three pitches to make it 0 for 3. Regardless, it'll be great theatre to follow online.

the promoters are booking the shows so they are equally to blame ...I honestly don't get it. hmm

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, and I stand by what i've said the last two years. No new album, nothing new brought to the table, and Axl doing the THIRD CD tour in the U.S. (especially after the last two still weren't able to finish their original plotting course)... come on...

So i'll go ahead and just say it again officially -- another U.S. arena tour with no new album and/or single will be another failure. People can sit back and talk all about how "8,000 seats sold in an arena is better than 5,000 seats sold in a theater", but promoters and sponsors who don't see profits, or 'worthwhile' profits due to lack of interest in an artist who's overselling their appeal to a market which has a lack of interest... will always be a problem.

There's a REASON Universal-U.S. felt that pushing a new Guns in 2008 was futile.

They have numbers geeks and analysts and industry vets who punch this stuff up all the time and judge whether they should bother. Obviously they checked out years ago. Pretty much says it all.

Axl's fighting to win a fixed game that was over years ago. Sometimes I think he pushes it with the hope they will release GN'R from whatever contracts currently exist and he can just go independent. Obviously that will never happen. Uni will always want ties to the brand name and the back catalog.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i guess we'll jstu have to wait and see how things shake out...the northern states always seem to be the ones with higher attendances...maybe they are changing it up intentionally this time and starting south instead, and maybe hope to gain steam as they make their way north ... also CD is 3 years old so maybe we will see more of a classic hits tour with only 2-3 cd tunes sprinkled in

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

if you were a promoter in the U.S., how would you promote the tour? they are doing what they believe will help sell the most tix. same as any other band.

as for the venues, this isn't just Axl's call. the promoters have a financial interest and they must not consider the previous tour a failure or they would not be booking a tour at the major venues again. and if the show near your town doesn't sell all that well, that's good for you since you will get better seats. 9

as for the set list, i expect a similar set list to their 2010 shows. about 5-7 songs from their most recent album....i'd say that's the average for most bands. metallica was playing about 6 songs from st. anger when they toured that in 2009, and back in 2003-2004 they were playing less than that from St. Anger.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I think you mean Death Magnetic. Metallica play zero songs from St Anger these days. But on their latest tour, they've played every single song from their latest, Death Magnetic, averaging about 4-5 songs from the album at each show.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I think the difference with GN'R lies in that the new band relies too much on the old member's material, and that the new members should prove themselves on the new material.

But people are always going to want to hear the classics. I just wish they'd delve deeper into the catalog.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

yes, DM in 2009. my bad.

but Axl is still in the band. he shouldn't give up playing his old material because a tiny handful of forum posters feel the new band should earn their stripes on the songs they actually appear on (obviously, that doesn't apply to ashba). GnR plays a decent amount of material from their latest album, in line or more than what most bands do.

it really just comes off as people just trying to find something to bitch about.

but i agree with you that i would rather they dive deeper into the older material. still, i don't know what songs i would give up. we would all have different opinions and they do a good job of including a set list that is probably the most appealing to the majority of people. but again, this is true of almost every band i see....there's almost always a few changes to the set list i would make at just about every show i go to. totally normal.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

As usual, there isn't much effort needed to find something to bitch about.

Board footer