You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: 2011-12 Guns n Roses Tour

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

Any pointers from experienced GA users?

Yes

I agree with monkey on his points....especially leave your coat in the car if you can at all help it, or youll be waering it the whole show, this may be tough since its i nhartford in november and depending how far away you park from the venue...if you buy merch either buy it and immediately wear it or else wait til the end (obviously may run the risk of item you wanted being sold out in some cases) move around for the first couple songs to look for the best possible vantage point...and you'd be amazed how small of a space that you can fit into...dont be rude and pushy but its easy enough to kinda thread your way up there....if you are in there you might as well get as close as you humanly can to the band!

be prepared for people to be rude...if you get easily upset at people being pushy then stay back, cuz peopel WILL lean on ou and you may get shoved from time to time

in short travel light, get as close as you dare, dont fall down and keep your shoes on

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

In extreme crowds the pushing and shoving can detract from the experience as you spend a lot of time just keeping from falling. So sometimes it's better to be back around row 10 and watching than row 5 and fighting to not die. Of course absolute front is the best for fun. Best view and best chance of holding on and staying putt - but even then you're likely to have to push a little to maintain it.

To each his own.

I watched my last GNR show near the fence, row 2/3ish. The hard rockers are just that - you enter the pit during WTTJ, you jump and you jump good. Always mind the next person and think ahead.

A good pit is criminally fun, if you get into the moment of it. The very center is all about the big guys, who were built to stay. I usually zoom in, try to dodge them and jump back out again - there's generally heavy traffic around a big fella. Often they like to toss around the people they run into.

Alternatively, you can get the hang of it by doing the sidelines dance as well and reverting back to the stationary group when you feel like it. By KOHD, you are grateful for everyone coming down a notch - and you can't have too many guitar solos, either.

But there's always Paradise City. 19

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Never understood the pits, even as a yute. Not interested in working through some guy's homosexual panic via moshing, I'd rather just enjoy the show.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Never understood the pits, even as a yute. Not interested in working through some guy's homosexual panic via moshing, I'd rather just enjoy the show.

Go to a Fugazi show and they'll throw you out for Moshing. Or at the very least, they'll stop the show and tell you what an idiot you are.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Youtube says its streaming RIR.  I wonder if they'll do it for GN'R?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

A good pit is criminally fun, if you get into the moment of it.

Yeah i think it depends on the type of crowd too.

For example I saw Baz in solo shows twice here. First time was up the front and there was moshing and stuff and it was fun, next time up as soon as he came out it turned into basicly a war zone of fighting. The adrenaline gets you through - but then I came home with some nasty injuries and realised I'd missed moments out of every song just defending myself.

Maybe I'm just a wuss 16

To me it's all about seeing the band. I want to get as close as possilbe. Witness the insane guitar. Feel the chrisma. See the expressions on the faces that kind of thing. There is added excitment of being close with others who are also keen - and the screaming and the jumping and so on can add to the experience and the music - but to me there's also a line where it goes from being benifical to the night out to being a bad thing.

Actually to me I feel the same about it as I do about drinking.  Some drinks can really add to an evening out. But if you push it too far it will also ruin your evening. But yeah each to their own.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Youtube says its streaming RIR.  I wonder if they'll do it for GN'R?

Bet they will. I hope someone can capture the stream somehow. I was just watching SCOM from '91. I've decided my GN'R dream is not a reunion tour. One-off Rock in Rio show with Steven on AFD/Lies songs and Matt on UYI songs. 3.5-4 hour setlist. All 5/6 members in top form. Filmed with 4k digital cameras for excellent transfer quality on Blu-ray in 1080p with 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio. Plus a 3 CD live album based on this performance. Would be fucking awesome. Those Rio fans would make it an amazing show even if the band wasn't in top form, but I would certainly hope that they could pull off an awesome show.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Me either. At all. I prefer a good seat, and observe the whole vibe, really soak in the experience. Not have to spend time worry about some fuckin' asshole, while trying to enjoy a show. No thanks.

Even that minimal crowd at the Bucket show last night, I made my way to the balcony. I wanted to be 'up' on everyone, so I could just kinda stand back and observe the whole thing.

I enjoy myself much more that way.

However -- I don't want to be at the back of a fucking hockey arena, needing binoculars to see the band. No no no... I still want to be pretty fuckin' close to the stage.

I just never understood the point in buying for the floor, when you can just get 4 rows or so back off the stage, have the same experience, and not have the hassel AND NEVER lose your place. Go the bathroom, get a bite, buy some merch, get a little taste... whatever... and boom you're right back.

I had great experiences in the 2006 show like that. Alot of the GN'R members worked the sides of the stage more than they did the front (other than Robin, who worked center more).

I was right up on Axl, Ron, Richard, and Tommy almost regularly at those shows. Especially Axl.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I too would rater a GOOD seat over the floor.  Unfortunately though, good seats are hard to come by these days unless you want to pay through the nose.  The best seats I've ever gotten were for Def Leppard.  We were like 15 rows back or so once, and about 20 rows off to the side once.  Other than that, none of my seats have been anything to write home about.

I got floor tickets for the Hartford show, and from what I hear, the floor section is extremely small there.  So even if I'm at the back, it's still a good spot, and I won't need to fight my way forward.  Although, I'm sure there'll be plenty of pushing and shoving when the time comes.  I won't be able to resist.  And I'll have to try and get all my drinking done beforehand.  Drain the system before the show, and I should be good to go. 

Thanks for all the tips guys, for a first time floor-goer.

Oh and by the way, my mom called me today all excited telling me that GNR was coming to CT.  She thought she was giving me some inside scoop.  I had to break the news to her that I had known about it since Monday and already had tickets.  It's the thought that counts though.  Gotta love mom!

Anyhow, she mentioned how they had a little writeup in The Hartford Courant announcing the concert.  It made me laugh a little.

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/mu … 151.column

Guns N' Roses Returns To Hartford Nov. 19

Eric R. Danton SOUNDCHECK: Music News & Views

September 22, 2011
The current incarnation of Guns N' Roses returns to Hartford for the first time since 2002 with an indoor show Nov. 19 at Comcast Theatre in Hartford; tickets go on sale Friday at 10 a.m. for $69 and $49 via http://www.livenation.com. You may be wondering: who's in this version of the band? Good question. Mercurial frontman Axl Rose is joined by guitarists DJ Ashba, Richard Fortus and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal; bassist Tommy Stinson (yes, that Tommy Stinson); keyboardists Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman; and drummer Frank Ferrer. Rose promises a 2 1/2-hour show, though it's not clear whether that includes the time he spends refusing to go on stage.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I agree with avoiding the pit.  The only band I will bother with floor seats is U2 but I've become a professional and I get front row everytime 16.  But for a band like Gn'R no thanks. Like others have said I don't want to deal with assholes during the show and shows of this size there are a LOT of assholes attending. I typically try for lower bowl seats beside but in front of the stage. I'll buy my tickets originally from ticketmaster than I'll go on kijiji or ebay and upgrade and then sell my original ones. 

Here's a picture I took at the show in Calgary in January 2010 with my crappy cell phone. There is no zoom  on my phone and in reality it looks further away than it is. PERFECT seats.
17577_437398685396_761060396_10626660_7803859_n.jpg

faldor wrote:

Never been on the floor before.  Any pointers from experienced GA users?

Honestly how many more times in your life do you expect to see Guns N' Roses/Axl Rose?  My honest advice is to show up early, very early, like as early as you possibly can. Shit dude make a day of it if need be. Pack a  lunch birnga  shitty lawn chair that you can toss out and chill out all day.  Then when the doors open skip the merchandise, skip the food and drink and get your ass to the front of the stage. Then when others arrive, act quickly and strike a deal. You'll hold their spot if they hold yours. Then you go take your final piss(even if you don't have to), go and grab a beer or a water and head back. Fuck the merchandise Gn'R will not sell out of it and there will be lots afterwards. There always is. Even at Hammerstein they were still selling shit after the gig.

That's my advice. You never know this might be the last time you see them and it may be the only chance you ever have to be front row and if you're willing to put in the time it's worth it because you will be able to sit down on the floor with your back against the baricade while your'e waiting for them to come on stage. Front row is a million times better than second row because of that alone.

Board footer