You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: 2011-12 Guns n Roses Tour

AtariLegend wrote:

Do they not normally sell out/play Madison Square Gardens every US tour?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If you can't sell out the Garden as a national act it's time to hang it up.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

Guns N' Roses News. 
@axlrose ex-wife Erin Everly present at Atlanta GN’R show. #sweetchild i41.tinypic.com/sltuo2.jpg
5 Nov
sltuo2.jpg

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Do they not normally sell out/play Madison Square Gardens every US tour?

Yep. Very odd MSG isn't on the trek this time. Although maybe the reason is they couldn't schedule it?

Or, they struggled in 2006 up to the last hours of the show to sell out. That might be another reason. Axl just wanting to leave well enough alone.

polluxlm wrote:

Who said they couldn't?

Although they did struggle in 2006. I think they even had to go '2 for 1' at the last minute to make it happen.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

And... I'd have to wager to say that it's the actuaries/number crunchers and people with Excel spreadsheets that actually figure out tour routing, Axl isn't leaving well enough alone for anything. It depends on arena availability, how other acts are doing (or not doing) in those places, and how much the arena's rental fee will hit the bottom line.

Although it seems like all shows paper now, papering and all the press to get MSG full and still getting the big time venue rental and big time fees probably tells me that they'd rather do a few 50%-70% shows in other places.

All I know is it has to be complicated. And it's the promoters doing it.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Even rasslin doesn't sell out the Garden all the time.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

This is gonna go WAY out there and be one of those "Only a GN'R Forum Member Would Come Up With This Shit" type of things BUT.... I've been thinking about this and I'm wondering if certain things were done differently this time for a reason.

They've always started in the northern-ish area of the US when they tour here right? This time they started in the south. They ALWAYS play MSG and this time they're not. Usually there's a string of dates around Cali and LA around Christmas, this time there's none (yet, at least).

Maybe there's some "backward method to the madness" this time around?

Ehh... may.. be.  I wouldn't say they "always start northern-ish". In fact the opposite has been true in the new era. This tour and the last they started directly in the Southeast U.S. With the intention of working out to the west coast around Christmas. Except this time they didn't schedule MSG or LA around their typical scheduled times.

I don't think there's any real method to madness, just scheduling and where it's at.

If there IS, there might be some credit to that rumor that MSL posted about them wanting to do some sort of re-release and then RE-tour the east coast in support of it.

In the remote possibility of that still being in the back of their minds... they might be waiting MSG & LA at that moment.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

SIAP, but a bunch of the GNR guys (not Axl) went and saw kids and other folks at a local Dallas hospital and posted pics on facebook.  Very cool.  Good to see them do stuff like that.. Actually, its awesome!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Gagarin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Even rasslin doesn't sell out the Garden all the time.

Who?

There are 20 million people in the metro. If less than 0,2% of them care about your show I'd consider scaling things down.

Point was of course GN'R should sell it out.

Board footer