You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: 2011-12 Guns n Roses Tour

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I know MSG has been under renovation, not sure if they've had a full schedule of events during that time.  Could've been harder to nail down a date on such short notice.  Just guessing though.

I was listening to Eddie Trunk's satellite radio show from a few weeks back and a caller gave his review of the GNR show in Cincy.  Didn't sound like a major fan or anything, as he said he went in with low expectations.  He said that he and his friends were blown away though and that the band was tight.  He loved the covers they played, and cited Another Brick In The Wall.  He also said that his cousin stayed after the show hoping to catch the band on their way out and he did.  Said that Axl was out in the cold for 45 minutes shooting the shit with fans and signing autographs.  The guy asked him about the TMS interview, and if he really didn't know that Eddie and the guys were there to interview him.  Axl said he had no clue until he was told in the wee hours of the morning, which is what he told Eddie as well.

Thought it was a pretty cool story/review from a casual fan.  They CAN win people over, and are doing so on a regular basis.  Unfortunately though, not enough people are taking notice for it to make any major difference.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:

kinda glad they missed out the garden & nyc.
it seemed in prev yrs nyc & london (& paris) got special attn - which is understandable, i just didn't appreciate it, coming from the sticks, & thought it was calculated & took away from the celebrations in the other cities/towns. like they'd only do extra cool shit in the media/press capitals... i prob reading too much into.. but there haven't been any 'secret' 'club' gigs r the like this tour

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:
faldor wrote:

Thought it was a pretty cool story/review from a casual fan.  They CAN win people over, and are doing so on a regular basis.  Unfortunately though, not enough people are taking notice for it to make any major difference.

I don't know man, I think it'll make a difference over time. For example, in Detroit I brought 11 people total including myself, 9 of which had never seen GN'R. Every one of them at some point said something like this to me prior to the show "Hey man, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you, EVERY ONE I know told me not to take a chance on this show". 8 of the 9 walked away completely blown away and posted all over their fb pages about how incredible the show was. I looked over a few of the threads and most of them end up with their friends posting something like "Oh wow, I had no idea, maybe I'll check them out next time"

Yeah, I've witnessed the same thing with my friends who were understandably skeptical heading in.  It depends "what happens next" I guess.  If they wait another 5 years to tour the US again I don't think this awesome stretch of shows will have much of an impact.  If they remain active and keep the train rolling in some way, then maybe there will be a difference.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but they need a new album. Period.

If they head to Europe, to do CD all over again it'll tank. ESPECIALLY if they come back to the U.S. afterwards.

As for Axl, nice story. I've heard stuff like that before with him, even in 2006. You can't please everyone, and for as many stories as i've heard of "he ignored us and didn't sign any autographs", i've heard just as many of him being generous, talking with fans, taking pics, hanging out.

Seems like an average star. Good days n' bad days.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...I think the key would be releasing some kind of new music that also resonates with the fan base.

The new band can never make themselves the people who played on AFD and UYI - but what they can do is play that stuff well and respectfully and in a way that satisfies the audience. They seem to be doing this, and as Russ was saying it seems people going to the shows are feeling it.

The final stage then is to release something of their own that moves the concept from an A1 tribute show to a creative unit that's putting out it's own ideas and gifts to the world.

I think it would also be good to close that chapter of CD. Like I think it's a fucking phenomenal album, but it's also the album that nearly broke everything. Seems like it was a struggle for axl. It was a struggle even for the  hardcore fans. It's the album that happened when the old guys left. It's the album that took 15 years. It's the album that cost millions. Damn the whole music industry died and was redefined during it's process. It's a great album, but I think it's become too connected to things. I mean the band isn't chinese democracy...it was one album. I think if Axl wanted to get past the whole media construction of him as a crazy recluse the best way now would really be to move onwards...make something new with the new band...and usher in an era of post-chinese democracy...but that's just my 2c.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That's actually the ONLY way to do it.

They really need a hot single. And a pushed single. People run off about how "GN'R make albums, not singles" whatever, they don't know shit about music and how business works.

2011 today EVEN MORE is like the 50s/60s. Artists, including GN'R, are make and break on singles. Whether for rock radio, Top-40, and especially iTunes. It's the bread and butter.

You can have an album full of shit, but it sells because the lead single is hot as hell.

GN'R have to adapt this policy. Whether it's the current band, the old band, no one is immune.

Personally, without adapting this organized policy for pursuing music releasal... they're doomed.

You can't tour the GN'R name without the players forever, and you can't tour CD, a lukewarm received album, forever.

Time to shit or get off the pot.

Board footer