You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Robin's Robin (Shows @ Sonoma, CA, 16-17/09/11)

Axlin16 wrote:

I know people would slam me for this, but I think if the 2001-02 band had been what you see today, minus Ron & Chris, and just a 6-piece like the previous UYI/TSI-lineup...

WITH the image of today...

It'd been a whole different story in terms of the mark a new GN'R would've made. HOWEVER... it wouldn't have been the unique reboot that it was in 2001-02. It'd just been another cookie cutter band.

I think what Axl was trying to do with a bald Robin, and a "Shape w/ nunchucks" Buckethead, was re-invent the beast that was Guns N' Roses in something so far away from what it was, NOT to spit in the fact of the old band, but to actually pay tribute to them. Axl knew he'd not be able to replicate 91-93 Guns, so why try? Don't try to replace Slash with Robin, have Robin be a whole new different thing apart of the Guns N' Roses spirit. Axl's new Guns in those days was the equivalent of John Carpenter producing "Halloween III: Season of the Witch". Axl was trying to have it be great, with a similar spirit, but go a different direction, while paying homage.

What Axl underestimated was that Slash was such an incredible, already legendary rock icon, that he had already joined the ranks Page, May, Perry, Richards, etc.

Robin was a victim of circumstance. Axl would've been better served in hind-sight rolling 2006-Robin out there, and trying to just recreate the original Guns sound and image. That's what audiences wanted.

Axl couldn't decided if he wanted popularity or originality. And because he couldn't decide - he got neither.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I wouldn't go that far - but I'll say I really dug 2007 Axl.

He seemed to be very stylishly dressed back then, and I'm one of the people who thought the braids looked kinda cool.

I was never into the 02 sports top look - as that was just going a bit far.

But 2007 was like a good mix of the old and new Axl. The rasp was back, the braids were there but he still seemed sort of dressed for Rock.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I got KILLED here and elsewhere for suggesting that 2006 Guns N' Roses looked and felt like Guns N' Roses of old to me.

I can't explain it but from the second they walked out on stage at Hammerstein it was just a whole different feel than prior. The late 2006 and 2007 edition of Guns N' Roses (because of Frank replacing Brain) is, was and always will be my favorite line up of Guns N' Roses

Damn you're weird.

Hell i'd take the Sympathy For The Devil-lineup over anything in the new era.

Board footer