You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Bach flip flops on being the singer in VR..

misterID wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

VR would've sucked with Bach fronting them. Contraband is a great album, one of the best of the 00's. It won a Grammy, sold millions of copies, resurrected Slash's career & allowed allowed VR to play some really high profile gigs. That never would've happened with Bach involved. With Savage Animal fronting the band, VR would've been headlining Rocklahoma while playing a bunch of 80's tunes. I don't see how anyone can call VR a failure. They wrote some great songs and played a ton of shows...that's not a bad thing.

Couldn't agree more. 22

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Just read this piece at the bottom of the article. What I've been saying all along! Duff and Corey!!!!!

http://loudwire.com/slipknot-corey-tayl … f-mckagan/

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
misterID wrote:

Just read this piece at the bottom of the article. What I've been saying all along! Duff and Corey!!!!!

http://loudwire.com/slipknot-corey-tayl … f-mckagan/

They might replace slash in vr

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

VR would've sucked with Bach fronting them. Contraband is a great album, one of the best of the 00's. It won a Grammy, sold millions of copies, resurrected Slash's career & allowed allowed VR to play some really high profile gigs. That never would've happened with Bach involved. With Savage Animal fronting the band, VR would've been headlining Rocklahoma while playing a bunch of 80's tunes. I don't see how anyone can call VR a failure. They wrote some great songs and played a ton of shows...that's not a bad thing.

Good points.  I agree 100%. Bach is a funny guy, was good on those VH1 shows, can belt out vocals something fierce.  But his songwriting & music suck donkey cheese.  VR would have quickly turned into a who's who of 80's metal & where are they now. The band would have been percieved as a joke & gone nowhere.  Were they great with Weiland? No. Good? Myb, although Libertad completely failed (let's be brutally honest). Although, in hindsight remember the list of 5 or 6 singers it was down to??  I think the guy from Lit was in contention. WTF??!  Anyway, the only guy who proved them wrong I would say was Josh Todd. I'm not a fan, but that album 15 had some good music n it from what I recall.  However, in VR's defense all he was at the time was the guy who sung the 80's throwback nostalgia song "Cocaine", so you can't fault VR for passing on him.  Kid Rock had that last good album, All Summer Long & Born Free, not sure if he was a finalist or doing his solo thing then. He faded away for a brief time & I think might have taken it if offered. Then there were 2 less known 2 bit 80s singers who I can't recall.  Again, Izzy would've ben great, but it didn't happen & I'm sure for a reason (ie He declined/refused, although I wonder if ever he wanted to sing & the band refused, wanting an actual frontman to which he walked out. Doubt it). And then there were other obvious guys who probably weren't considered due to being in a band (Cornell, Robinson etc).

The choices were very limited & small. Wieland was the best one.

Axlin08 aren't you Pro-Sebastian Bach??  That video is awful & not helping your cause at all.  Granted it's a cell phone video, but that singing is atrocious. Sounds like Sam Kinison up there.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think VR went off Baz because they wanted to reinvent themselves as a modern rock act and in their perception Baz was too 1980s and too Skid Row.

Unfortunately I think this was a very bad judgement call.

Baz is awesome for the following reasons:

1. Great Stage Presence
2. Great Voice - able to sing in several dynamics - happy or sad - angry or soft.
3. Awesome vocal range - he can hit high notes with the best of them.
4. He's a decent looking bloke, that looks like a rocker and looks good in photos fronting a band. He fits.
5. He's got the right ethic. He's keen to move forward and create his best works yet. But he's also respectful of his past achievements and doesn't reinvent the wheel. That is - he wants to outdo Slave to the Grind or 18 and Life - but he's also respectful of their history in his life and their importance the fans. So I can see that with 3/5 of GNR he would have been pushing slash and that into a similar mindset - making songs on par with UYI and their past works - but also having the chops to make the GNR covers in the set impressive.

Some people would have called it too 1980s...and I guess it would have been seen as less than a new thing than VR was...but Baz really pushes himself to keep recording new works to the best of his ability, and although he's not Axl - he does bring range and stuff to the table that's been lacking since GNR.

It would have been awesome.

Also it's not really a flip flop if you look at chain of events.

Baz Quits Skid Row
Axl falls out of touch with BAz
VR starts "The Project"
Baz Auditions but is rejected for VR
VR goes with scott and releases contraband
Axl calls Baz and they become friends again, and go on tour.
Baz releases Angel Down.
Baz says he prefers Angel Down to Contraband and that it would be wierd given his renewed friendship with Axl.
Scott gets booted from VR
Baz works on kicking and screaming
Baz says VR have no album and he does, and had they gone with him they'd still be together.

In order its not really a flip.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think VR went off Baz because they wanted to reinvent themselves as a modern rock act and in their perception Baz was too 1980s and too Skid Row.

Thanks & I agree. I was going to post that but forgot among other things. It was the right call though. This was back in 2002/2003, not 2011. They had a chance then, they don't anymore. Since it's over, it wouldn't matter much if they got Bach or not. no ones gonna care or by the cd anyway. But if it failed in 2004 it would have been embarassing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Pa Snow wrote:

Axlin08 aren't you Pro-Sebastian Bach??  .

Hell to the mother fuckin' naw. I can't stand the mother fucker. Ask anyone in the Baz thread. I think he's an epic douche.

BUT I do like Skid '88 & Slave To The Grind. Other than that, I think he's an okay metal vocalist, and an annoying self-absorbed Axl wannabe geek otherwise. I think his solo work is mostly horrible (with the exception of a few tracks), and despite that I am looking forward to his upcoming release, but that's because Frontiers Records is a melodic label, which might result in Baz doing a more vintage Skid album. Other than that...

About the only nice thing I ever did concerning the guy, was I admitted he was friendly with fans in the 2006 shows, and I wished him best with his home being destroyed, on Twitter. But I was just trying to be cool.

Did that answer your question? 16

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

This was back in 2002/2003, not 2011. They had a chance then, they don't anymore.

It's interesting how it's all panned out.

I mean on one hand I'd call VR a success. Lots of sales. Grammy awards and a new audeince and so on.

On the other hand - I think Slash is doing better at invading popular culture now with his solo act, and teaming with famous singers, and with GH3 and stuff - which primarily traded on his GNR background.

I'm not so sure VR with Baz would flop though.

One thing I think Baz does right is he makes the kind of music his fans want. They liked Skid Row, and Slave to the Grind - and the dude is out there making new records and trying to make them as good or better. He's not out there trying to be something he isn't.

Think about what VR fans wanted for a tick.

The GNR side of the fanbase wanted VR to be a band on par with GNR's achievments. The STP side wanted VR to be an STP style band.

Hopeless missmatch - as the GNR peeps were never going to be satisfied with scott's voice, and the STP peeps don't want slash busting out Coma esque solos. Problem.

People don't want Slash to play in a new-rock pop outfit. They want him to play like Slash of GNR. Much like Axl's problem with "Oh My God" era GNR - people didn't want Axl playing industrial based NIN music. Now as it happens I thought VR was cool music, and i think Axl's industrial stuff was cool too. But I'm talking Joe Public here - and that dude wants fucking Slash to be Slash, and Axl to be Axl.

Keep in mind too that it was Scott that nixed a bunch of the slash/izzy collaborated riffs.

So you'd have had a band that's Baz, Slash, Duff and Matt and Dave, playing songs written by Izzy, Slash and Baz.....and I think you have the closest possible thing to GNR possible...asside from getting Axl on board.

But then I am a pro-sebastian guy. He's friendly to fans, he's got legit talent, he's a hard worker for his art and a cool dude. I'll support him forever for that.

I agree that the latte drinking Dave Ghroll style guys would have used it as a chance to paint VR as retro 1980s. But I think the quality of the music that came out of a mix of Baz, Izzy and Slash would have given us some wicked songs that would have shut up the naysayers.

I can dream...and in my dream this band forms and kicks some ass...
baz_vr.jpg

9:mosh:

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

is Corey a douche or not?
can't make up my mind....

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer