You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: I bet the US Tour goes smooth

Sky Dog wrote:
killingvector wrote:
madagas wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I think he'll behave. It is the ticket sales which I worry about. Is America ready for more of the same with even more line up changes? Ummmm, not sure about it. Chinese is no spring chicken any more; it can't be the focus of this tour b/c, frankly, the album tanked here.

America has no idea about the lineup changes....PERIOD. They will either come to see Axl sing the hits or they won't.

I worry about ticket sales as well...these are big basketball arenas so it could be rough.

Not so sure about that. What you describe above is a nostalgia act. Is that what G&R have become? If you are right, how the mighty have fallen.

The casual fan may not give a crap who plays the hits and, if that is the demographic, then Axl will be perpetually be stuck in 1987. The show effectively is a time machine at that point. A lot of bands are stuck in the nostalgia trip.

If he wants to reach further and bring something exciting and new, then he has to connect the new line up with the audience. Personnel changes and lack of visibility will undercut any attempts for the band to be anything more than a Greatest Hits machine. Frankly that fate worries and saddens me.

The band has changed lineups for 13 years and Axl never promoted any of the members...why is it gonna change now? I agree on what you are saying, but it is pretty obvious Axl is going to change his ways....the laundry list of drummers and guitar players is all on the record.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

The only point I would make is that we now have an album from an assortment of these players for public digestion. It would be nice to put faces to the music, even if parts were re-written and/or original writers have left.

And don't ignore the subset of fans who saw the tours in 01, 06, and, now, 11 who do notice the revolving door.

I don't see the point of the tour honestly. Chinese is too old to promote in 2011. There is nothing new on the horizon. And Axl has toured on this catalog twice already. So........is it a money grab?

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

-D- wrote:

The reason I care so much about ticket sales and numbers etc is because IF we want more GNR stuff... Albums,future tours etc... This tour HAS to be successful.

So you have to think about more than just your entertainment. The whole "As long As I go and am entertained it's a success" doesn't fly cause you have to think on a grander scale than just what you think/like.

if this band is gonna last and continue on, I think this tour is make or break unless they want to become a Mr Big giant stars in Japan only type Nostalgic act.

I honestly don't think this was apart of Axl's vision for GNR when he fought so hard for control.

I don't think the tour will determine the appearance of future albums. That seems to be a battle fought between Axl and the label. Is his process profitable? People won't buy Chinese II b/c they loved to hear Sweet Child during the '11 tour. They will buy an album if they hear some of the music pre-purchase and connect with it.

The tour in '06 wasn't a disaster yet it failed to help the lackluster sales of Chinese. (despite Jarmo's claims that these tours are part of the promo package. )

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
killingvector wrote:

The only point I would make is that we now have an album from an assortment of these players for public digestion. It would be nice to put faces to the music, even if parts were re-written and/or original writers have left.

And don't ignore the subset of fans who saw the tours in 01, 06, and, now, 11 who do notice the revolving door.

I don't see the point of the tour honestly. Chinese is too old to promote in 2011. There is nothing new on the horizon. And Axl has toured on this catalog twice already. So........is it a money grab?

You answered that question in your first paragraph.  As ridiculous as it may seem to tour a 3 year old record, this is the FIRST US tour with the album actually released.  Regardless of the previous 2 Chinese Democracy tours in the US prior to the albums release.  This IS different.

So far, I've been flooded with requests for tickets from friends.  I'm planning on trying to buy 8 tickets tomorrow.  I have two other sets of friends who are buying a bunch of tickets.  I've been trying to "win" tickets from the radio the last couple of days and its been nearly impossible to get through.  Now I have to admit, I NEVER listen to regular radio anymore, so this could be the case for every concert, event, contest.  I just know I haven't had any luck.  I was kind of hoping nobody would care and the lines would be open so I'd have an easy shot at front row tickets.  Not the case.  And not to mention the damn contests they run are kind of difficult and most of the time have nothing to do with GNR.  Give me some GNR trivia or something.  They did mash together 3 GNR songs this morning, but even that was really hard.  I could only really make out one of the songs.  I wasn't the only one, a number of people got it wrong.  By the time I figured it out, with the help of 2 other people guessing one song each that I didn't get, it was too late.  I tried and tried and tried to get through, but to no avail.  Now I have to try my luck at the pre sale tomorrow.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

U couldn't figure out the songs??

What kind of fan are u Faldor! hahahahah J/K

Shit i could name ANY GNR song on about 5 notes

faldor

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

U couldn't figure out the songs??

What kind of fan are u Faldor! hahahahah J/K

Shit i could name ANY GNR song on about 5 notes

Trust me, it's not easy.  If they played the songs separately, obviously I'd have no problem, but they mash the songs together so they all play at once.  They did it again today and I could only make out "Yesterdays" the first time around.  The next time I heard "Welcome to the Jungle" but couldn't get the last one.  I got through and guessed "November Rain", as it sounded like all ballads to me.  It ended up being "Don't Cry", which was going to be my next guess, but I couldn't get through again.  The contest took an hour to get a winner. 

If they had some hard core GNR trivia I would've been all set, but this was all a guessing game and luck of the draw.

Dah well!  Nothing in life is free.  I had to go the old fashioned route and BUY a ticket.

Sky Dog wrote:
killingvector wrote:

of course it is a money grab that likely has something to do with the Azoff lawsuit....I just hope they add in some different tracks from UYI.

on a side note, some of my buddies are already emailing about the Atlanta show...some got tix at the presale today. I actually may have a crew interested.:butt:

faldor

faldor wrote:
madagas wrote:
killingvector wrote:

of course it is a money grab that likely has something to do with the Azoff lawsuit....I just hope they add in some different tracks from UYI.

on a side note, some of my buddies are already emailing about the Atlanta show...some got tix at the presale today. I actually may have a crew interested.:butt:

I know, I've been pleasantly surprised at the excitement this has garnered in my circles.  I still have a hard time imagining attendance will be any different/better than the past 2 US tours, but at least the people around me seem to be excited and ready to go.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I haven't heard a thing about the tour outside of this message board.

Sky Dog wrote:

good for you, but I have had 20 emails from friends in Atlanta about the show....and I said nothing beforehand to any of them. They got it from radio or atl ticketmaster bumps. Most are like WTF? Is this real? A bunch have already bought tickets.

Me? I have not. I'll get a ticket in a good seat if this actually happens.

Board footer