You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Guns N' Roses Live From Rock In Rio

Saikin wrote:
-D- wrote:

So does this make up for Slash's terrible Super Bowl performance! hahahahahahaha

Even this performance can't compete with that one on a shittiness scale.  That was a complete abomination.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

so when does the show get bad? cuz i'm on RQ and they are ruling

johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:

It is meaningless, though.  Axl said during the 01/01/01 HOB show something about how he never showed up for rehearsals with the band. So, that was not the variable last night.  It just wasn't.  Axl had an off night, period.

Ali

it isn't meaningless given it's indicative of the general malaise that has spoiled the band since 93

& the fact is, Axl's lack of preparation is a variable each night.
i believe he had at least one rehearsal before HOB 01 & he rehearsed & soundchecked a couple times since 06 but like Bono, or anyone sensible, says practice (& familiarity) make an incredible difference in how you perform your job. i agree he had an off night, i've said as much ten pages ago, but you minimise the chances of an off night thru practice. you think the world's best chef doesn't cook a meal for over a yr is gonna make a masterpiece with their first attempt?! an athlete sits out a season, does train then expects to be a champion first game back?
i dunno what gig you watched but Axl's lack of prep (& professionalism) was p obv to me.

It isn't a post-'93 occurrence, though.  That is what Axl himself said at the first new GN'R gig, ever.  He doesn't rehearse with the band, never has.  The issue may be his individual preparation if anything, not the prep with the band.  The lack of that type of preparation has been a constant throughout GN'R's history so it cannot be a variable in this case.

As you yourself said, preparation can help minimize the chances of an off night, but it does not ever completely eliminate the chance of an off night. 

Frankly speaking, it's impossible to know what Axl did or didn't do, and to what extent, to prepare without him telling us or us being there.

Ali

just because Ron posted vids of rehearsals doesn't mean those rehearsals were successful (god knows BBF does post a lotta gash online & figure into it the sour end result of the little experiment had on morale)

it's been a constant variable thruout the history which is precisely why it's likely to be relevant here. it's just history repeating itself. there have been as many bad gigs as there have been perfect gigs, prob more..
the guy can't sing his own songs w/o a lyric sheet in front of him! you could maybe excuse him if he'd been busy doing other GnR-related endeavors but it's really just his laziness. he does what he wants & to hell w/the consequences cause he still gets paid & it's only the diminishing fanbase who suffer.

it's both it's meant to be a team game. Axl excused himself from the junkies & party lifestyle of the old guys, what's keeping him distant from these old guys? tommy's smelly feet? no, Axl's laziness. if they functioned as a team & a BAND maybe we wouldn't have to wait 18 yrs to get the setlist changed by a song - this is how it's not meaningless Axl's prep (lackthereof) influences everything about the band. he sets the tone. & it's a lousy one.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

GNR is a much more complex band with much more chops than U2.  U2 is good at what they do, where "less is more"... The Edge is a good rhythm player, but even I could play circles around him in the lead dept.  Just watch his solo on "Gimmie Shelter" with Mick Jagger and Fergie.

Juts watch his solo on the Electric Co live in Chicago or on Untill the End of the World or on The Fly or on Keep on Rockin in the Free world. haha! Serioulsy why pick the one solo he changed completely. You honestly think he couldn't play that solo on Gimme Shelter if he really wanted to? he changed the entire tone of that song when they performed it.  I wouldn't doubt you can shred better than him. hell I'm sure there are people out there who can shred better than Buckethead and we'll never hear of them. Write a song that people will remember 25 years later though and then we'll talk about whos' the better musician you or The Edge  tongue

Some of you are clearly misisng the point. I should've posted a different band playing in the rain my bad. It's not a Gn'R vs U2 thing it's about people trying to use the rain as a defense for Gn'R's poor performance when clearly that wasn't it. If other bands can thrive in the rain how did Gn'R not. Has Gn'R not played in the rain before? the rain was NOT a contributing factor to the mess we saw last night. If it was then I feel sorry for the guys in Gn'R cause that's just brutal.

the most annoying part of last night is people usiing the rain as an excuse.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

so when does the show get bad? cuz i'm on RQ and they are ruling

Honestly dude I'm starting to wonder if you even try to be objective anymore these days. Seriously. They are ruling?  To each thier own.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

loving the classic look on Axl on TIL ... little lyric flub ... oops...DJ rocking the solo

johndivney wrote:

if the rain comes they run & hide their heads. they might as well be dead.

Bono

Bono wrote:

Speaking of train wrecks. Worst performance of this song ever. Axl sings it his way, Bono sings it his way, The Edge seems to be learning the song as they go. Brutal  16
[youtube]2djzuch3-_o&feature=related[/youtube]

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:

it isn't meaningless given it's indicative of the general malaise that has spoiled the band since 93

& the fact is, Axl's lack of preparation is a variable each night.
i believe he had at least one rehearsal before HOB 01 & he rehearsed & soundchecked a couple times since 06 but like Bono, or anyone sensible, says practice (& familiarity) make an incredible difference in how you perform your job. i agree he had an off night, i've said as much ten pages ago, but you minimise the chances of an off night thru practice. you think the world's best chef doesn't cook a meal for over a yr is gonna make a masterpiece with their first attempt?! an athlete sits out a season, does train then expects to be a champion first game back?
i dunno what gig you watched but Axl's lack of prep (& professionalism) was p obv to me.

It isn't a post-'93 occurrence, though.  That is what Axl himself said at the first new GN'R gig, ever.  He doesn't rehearse with the band, never has.  The issue may be his individual preparation if anything, not the prep with the band.  The lack of that type of preparation has been a constant throughout GN'R's history so it cannot be a variable in this case.

As you yourself said, preparation can help minimize the chances of an off night, but it does not ever completely eliminate the chance of an off night. 

Frankly speaking, it's impossible to know what Axl did or didn't do, and to what extent, to prepare without him telling us or us being there.

Ali

just because Ron posted vids of rehearsals doesn't mean those rehearsals were successful (god knows BBF does post a lotta gash online & figure into it the sour end result of the little experiment had on morale)

it's been a constant variable thruout the history which is precisely why it's likely to be relevant here. it's just history repeating itself. there have been as many bad gigs as there have been perfect gigs, prob more..
the guy can't sing his own songs w/o a lyric sheet in front of him! you could maybe excuse him if he'd been busy doing other GnR-related endeavors but it's really just his laziness. he does what he wants & to hell w/the consequences cause he still gets paid & it's only the diminishing fanbase who suffer.

it's both it's meant to be a team game. Axl excused himself from the junkies & party lifestyle of the old guys, what's keeping him distant from these old guys? tommy's smelly feet? no, Axl's laziness. if they functioned as a team & a BAND maybe we wouldn't have to wait 18 yrs to get the setlist changed by a song - this is how it's not meaningless Axl's prep (lackthereof) influences everything about the band. he sets the tone. & it's a lousy one.

Oh, so now we don't know if the rehearsals were successful?  When do we ever know if the rehearsals are succesful?  Christ, give me a break.

There is a clear distinction between individual and group preparations.  Axl has never prepared with the band.  Preparing with the band is not necessary to condition your voice, work on your breath support and recall lyrics/melodies properly.  It just isn't.

As far as that abstract concept that Axl's prep or lack thereof influences the band, that may be the case, or it may not be.  Unless you have some consistent evidence that when in the rare cases where Axl preps with the band, it improves their performances, it's impossible to know for sure.

Ali

I'll say it one last time, which actually is what you yourself said

Bono

Bono wrote:

Going by your theory Ali pro sports teams would be just as well off if each individual player practiced on thier own in their back yard. Sorry but not rehearsing as a band(team) plays a huge part in it. It's only common sesne.

actually a  better analogy would be like saying as long as actors in a  broadway play knew their lines and practiced at home there'd be no benefit to an actual rehearsal in person with the other actors.

Board footer