You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Guns N' Roses Live From Rock In Rio

Gibbo wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

I didn't catch the show last night.  Does anyone know if its available for download yet?

It's up on dimeadozen.org

Hey mate i looked on that site couldnt see it their

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Found the TV-rip on youtube last night and watched it on my HD-TV through my Boxee Box. Picture quality was superb! Sound and playing of the band was awesome! Axl's vocals were a bit high in the mix for my taste. Really highlighted the fact that he seemed unprepared.
Don't know what the youtube-mix that many of you watched was like, but to me there were several great moments!

Hopefully, Estranged will become a regular. And like someone suggested a few pages back (Neemo, I think?), it would be awesome if they played Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged back to back on a regular basis!

It's very obvious to me that this gig and the Brazilian fans mean a great deal to Axl. Seems like he really tried to pull himself together at various points during the gig, only to get caught in another lyrical hickup or whatever. Even at the very end during PC, seems to me he really tries to close on a high note when DJ seems to try and help get him back on track! If the lyrical hickups were due to the monitors beeing covered up because of the rain or whatever. Doesen't really matter. It happened. Maybe he was upset that he couldn't go "all in", running around and generally giving the crowd a show that he felt they deserved and it just snowballed from there? Should or could he be a tad more profesional about it? Sure, but history tells us THAT is not his strong side...

One could argue that other great bands have pulled off great shows in heavy rain. But one thing is for damn sure. None of us really knows what it feels like to feel prevented from giving 75'000 crazy fans what they came for. Seems to me that, giving a great show to a large audience like that can make you feel on top of the fuckin' world. But if you feel like you "fuck up the show", it can really make you wanna curl up in a fetus-position and beg the ground to swallow you right then and there! Seems we got a little bit of both on this night. Prolly more of the latter....

Boy, this thread got really long! And the usual whiners really had a field day! Like vultures on a roadkill!
Jeez, some of you have written a novel worth of material in these pages. Many of you prolly had unrealistic high hopes for this gig. And you're obviously upset at spending hours n' hours on your computer, only to have your pipedream shot down. But holy mother of Jesus and all that's good and holy, the venomous doomsday arguments are really of the charts!

If a bad rock show gets you THIS riled up, I really hate to think of what happens to you when some really important shit in your lives really hits the fan!
sad

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
gibbo wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

I didn't catch the show last night.  Does anyone know if its available for download yet?

It's up on dimeadozen.org

Hey mate i looked on that site couldnt see it their

It has disappeared. hmm  I'm at 60%, what a waste.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Look at it from a brighter perspective. HTGTH says it was a great show.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ The best I can do is to hope it was just an off night.

Which i guess it was.

Axl has sounded much stronger within the last year or two than he did last night. And I know the band is often flawless musically. Bottom line is people are human and everything you do can't be the best thing you've ever done.

I'm sure Axl will have a stronger night again in the future, but it does show that in a live setting his voice has it's problems these days - but we already knew that's been the case for the past 10 years.

I personally wish they'd focus on studio stuff. Axl could still give so much as a songwriter - even in the instrumentals ala This I Love - and studio wise they could re-take parts where his voice didn't co-operate. I can only hope that this tour is being used to fund new material.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
DCK wrote:

Look at it from a brighter perspective. HTGTH says it was a great show.

Just shows how deluded that place has become.

Watching it live it started terribly, picked up pace by the time they got to Estranged, and then it all fell apart. Axl having a hissy fit because of his own shortcomings is just laughable.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh i'm SO making an epic post later on...

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

He should do a James Hetfield if he forgets lyrics and just sing: "I forgot the fuckin words". I've heard James do this plenty of times in recent years and it's hilarious. It shows humility, and the crowd can have a laugh about it too. Another one he sang is "oh yeah I fucked it up!" lol

Sky Dog wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

From someone 'not caring':

Slash: It's one of Axl's babies, where he sat down and he had something he really wanted to express, and he wrote it on piano. And so there came the time when the band had to figure out where the bass is gonna come in, where the guitar is gonna come in. This and that. And so, I did all the guitar arrangements on it and wrote the guitar melodies, which are pretty important to the song now, I would say. 'Cause you recognize 'em, you know. That's that. That's why I have credit on it [GN'R on WNEW 102.7 - September, 1991].

Slash: There were a few songs that were very involved guitar-wise on those albums. 'Estranged' was a big, long song. I used a Les Paul Gold Top on it; I recorded all of the melodies on the rhythm pickup with the tone turned all the way down. 'November Rain' was tough, too, as was another Axl song called 'Breakdown.' Those were all piano driven and they needed accompaniment; the guitar and bass parts had to be thought out and done precisely. Those songs were all pretty fucking cool, I have to say, but they took some work [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, pp 316].

Slash: It was hard to arrange [November Rain] and Estranged, because they were so open-ended and we had to cut November Rain. But those were Axl's epic piano pieces and they were both breakthrough guitar solos for me. Real melody solos, y'know? I had some good sounds and they were melodically very spontaneous [Music Radar, September 2011].

Thanks for the quotes....I really wasn't trying to turn this in to a Slash thing. I just thought the new guys did a good job on Estranged.

Slash's work on those songs is very much appreciated by me. 19

and ps, I don't "hate" Slash at all.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

He should do a James Hetfield if he forgets lyrics and just sing: "I forgot the fuckin words". I've heard James do this plenty of times in recent years and it's hilarious. It shows humility, and the crowd can have a laugh about it too. Another one he sang is "oh yeah I fucked it up!" lol

well axl does do that a couple points throughout the show...like after the song he will say "well i couldnt see the screen or hear anything in my ear...KIDDING i fucked up" or "ok lets wee what we can fuck up next" and shit like that

then in patience he just says....."man i am getting really fucking mad here"

Board footer