You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Game over man: Facebook to "lock in" users for life

Gibbo wrote:

Yer they love that farmville shit

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

The funny thing is Bono, he does "get it".  In fact, personally I think he's pretty much a website CEO genius.  The minor changes he makes irate people at first, because people are lazy & think they don't like change.  But when things stay stagnant is when people leave.  Facebooks gotten better. I don't use it much or update/post much, but I use it for email 2.0.   Keeping in touch with people, seeing what their up to without writing, and having all their messageability in one place.  I can write 150+ people quickly & all the message access is right there.

This timeline will be interesting, and I'm curious to see it. But I am sure tons of people will cite being upset, swearing they'll leave, delete their acct etc.. but won't.  These "changes" are what's kept it around. Adapting.  Things myspace, classmates, friendster, Napster etc couldn't do. And it has it's eyes on ebay, Craigslist, youtube/netflix/television content too I'm sure.  Just wait 5 years.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

I tried the fb timeline and I thought it was ghastly, not that I use fb much/at all/ever.
Im a g+ guy mostly.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

The funny thing is Bono, he does "get it".  In fact, personally I think he's pretty much a website CEO genius.  The minor changes he makes irate people at first, because people are lazy & think they don't like change.  But when things stay stagnant is when people leave.  Facebooks gotten better. I don't use it much or update/post much, but I use it for email 2.0.   Keeping in touch with people, seeing what their up to without writing, and having all their messageability in one place.  I can write 150+ people quickly & all the message access is right there.

This timeline will be interesting, and I'm curious to see it. But I am sure tons of people will cite being upset, swearing they'll leave, delete their acct etc.. but won't.  These "changes" are what's kept it around. Adapting.  Things myspace, classmates, friendster, Napster etc couldn't do. And it has it's eyes on ebay, Craigslist, youtube/netflix/television content too I'm sure.  Just wait 5 years.

The messaging system on facebook used to me a million times better. Now it archives every fucking thing you ever say to someone either via a private email type message or the instant chat. If say you and I are chattng it will archive that entire conversation in with all the other messages we've ever sent to each other wthere it be a PM or an instant chat. It luimps them all together in chronilogical order.. It's really ridiculous. If you are freinds with someone you cannot delete any of the messages you've ever sent with each other because it's all archived and you can always gain access to it. That's pretty fucked. It'd be like not being able to delete any of your emails EVER.

I do get that Mark Zukerberg "gets it" and with 800 million useres you dont' really have to worry about annoying them cause really where are 800 million peope gonna go? You could lose have your membership and you still have 400 million 14  But his changes are annoying people and people are starting to look at other  avenues such as google + and things.  To be honest the people the changes are most annoying to I think are the ones who reconginze how all encompasing it is becoming

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono

Bono wrote:

The problem with the timeline is it's everything everyone is doing. For example it could be "Bob commented or Richard's photo" and you're thinking to yourself I don't even know a Richard yet I'm able to click on the photo which otherwise would be set as private. The timeline allows complete strangers to view your stuff despite your privacy settings.  That's basically the issue people have with it.

Lomax wrote:

Don't like that at all. Some of my photos ware ridiculous and would seriously impact my reputation in certain areas. I work a few different areas, in one area it'd only boost my profile in other's it'd hamper me. Not goodsy.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Bono I think maybe in your post you are confusing the new news-feed-ticker on the right hand side....with the forethcomming new timeline features.

Unless you've added facebook's developer application then its unlikely you're account already has timeline.

However your point stands about the problem with the ticker. Info about what can be done about it is here:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/09 … acy-scare/

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The plain and simple Axlin "bottom line" post:

If you like Facebook and are not afraid of it, that's fine.

I have absolutely no interest in adapting to it, using it, changing to it, having anything to do with it. So in 20 years, when it fully takes over communication -- I won't adapt to it. I either will be off the grid entirely or off the space time continuum.

I don't feel it's an over reaction, it's just my personal feelings on how I want to live my life and the future I want to be apart of. A Facebook-dominate future is something I don't want to live in. At all.

Bono

Bono wrote:

I use facebook and I'm not affraid of it for myself because I have it well under control. It isn't something I think about unless I'm bored at home and need to kill 15 - 20 minutes.   I do see how it's effecting other people though and to be honest it's pretty alarming how so many people are being consumed by it. When facebook status updates become a huge part of your life something is a bit off and that's the case for a LOT of people in today's society.  When not being able to live in the moment rather than burying your head in your phone because the urge to do it is so uncontrolable that's a problem and it is a very real problem for a lot of people even if they don't recognize it.

Like Axlin(though not to the same degree) I have stopped hanging around certain people because this is how they choose to comminucate and interact. I'm sick of spending time with people who give me only half of thier attention while the other half is given to people not even in the same room, city or country. It's fucking annoying.

And yeah Monkeychow I think you're right. I was talking about the "live ticker" thing.

Board footer