You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Re: Santiago, Chile - October 5, 2011

Naltav wrote:
DCK wrote:

It must have felt so good for him personally to just make it thru Rio alive and back in form in Chile, feeling all that love from a massive stadium filled with Jarmos. And what's wrong with that when it sounds that good.

I'm gonna bust out a LOL for that one! Karma!  14

Great seeing Estranged again!

From the few low quality clips from Santiago, sounds great!

It just hit me that it's kinda wierd to see how that song has grown among the fanbase since the early 90's. Can't recall the song getting THIS kinda reception from a crowd back then! The crowd went nuts in Rio and they went apeshit in Santiago! Very cool! Warms the heart, seeing Axl n' the band enjoing it!

Would be interesting to hear Axl (in an interview or long tweet) talk about the song in 2011. Why'd he skip it for so long? How did it feel playing it again? etc etc etc...

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Im starting an old vs new and don't give a shit

Everytime I hear Estranged and then think about all the people who compared "ANYTHING" off CD to it.. I chuckle my ass off at the idiocy.

Sorry, completely random but everytime i hear those Slash guitar melodies/solos I think of that.

Estranged was one of those songs just ahead of its time when it has always been far superior to the other two of the trilogy.. people now appreciate its brilliance/epicness

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash's legendaryness only grows every time they add as song that features one of his epic solos, cause not ONE solo on CD is "epic" in that guitar players all over the world praise it and want to play it.  Only TIL gets brought up and I think Twat is better but anyway, you don't see people trying to figure out that stuff...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Okay, finally more vids have leaked and we're getting more of a taste of what went on last night. And like I stated before, it was a mixed bag. However, I will confess (didn't last night), that based on the new clips of today... signs of improvement are there. He's obviously getting stronger, and better. Still think he could've spent 9 months, doing occasional "mock concerts" privately to keep his voice in shape. But apparently playing LA Noire was too important.

Welcome To The Jungle
--- Pure 2010 Axl. He sounded GREAT on this. The new vid sounds alot better than the cell phone clip last night.

Live and Let Die
--- Opinion hasn't changed. A pure 2002 performance. Really weak.

This I Love
--- Purely amazing. Sounded tons better than Rio, and even Rio was decent. Axl was vocally pristine on this. No room for improvement. In some ways it was better than the 2010 performances, because it was not "overly raspy" like in 2010.

Estranged
--- Sounded really good, although seemed to be a tad more 2002, than at Rio. Still sounded good, and the low register stuff was vintage.

You Could Be Mine
--- Haven't heard any new clips of this today, but he sounded awful on that cell phone clip last night. 2002 + winded. Whew. They might want to drop this one for a couple shows.

Whole Lotta Rosie
--- Absolutely awful. Band was great, Axl wasn't. 2002 Axl on an AC/DC song = puke. I'm with Tejas on that.

Riff Raff
--- Sounded alot better than Whole Lotta Rosie, even though i'm not very familiar with the track. Definitely an AC/DC deep cut. I could swear I remember an interview back in the day, like late 80's/early 90's where Axl said Riff Raff was one of his favorite AC/DC tunes.

Patience
--- Was enormously better than Rio in the lower registers... fucking dies in the outro. Too much 2002 Axl.

Paradise City
--- Purely 2002 Axl. No thanks. And the new band (including 2002) have never played it all that well.

So still -- a mixed bag. But signs of improvement are there. Maybe after a month in SA, Axl will be ready for the U.S. tour. And as for his weight.... I could give a fuck. As long as he's able to do his job good, I could care less if he's fat, bald, or got tits.

BUT, he is still definitely the biggest i've ever seen him. BUT in his defense... come on guys... he's 49 and got Irish-blood in him, he's destined to get ugly. My family is living proof of that.

-D-

-D- wrote:

please stop the age excuse..

Watched Steven Tyler perform the Beatles medley from abbey Road on Youtube last night.. dude is over 60 still looks amazing and sounds as good as he ever did.

using age=excuse for everybody who gets older and stops caring..

Naltav

Naltav wrote:
madagas wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Yep seems like its a big improvement, any fuck ups wont be as apparent anyway seeing as its not being beemed live around the world, but they were all better than what they produced on the big stage the other night, thats why it was so disapointing and it could only really get better.
Find it a bit weird that they have added yet another AC/DC song to the set... this is the guy who spent how many years and how many millions making how many records worth of new material? Throwing in a cover version at the end of the set is a fun idea, but to have so many seems kind of weak.
Pretty disapointed to be honest, even if they dust off OMG it seems like they are scraping the barrel for ideas, and the reality of the elusive follow up album is its just mad notion in the minds of a few nutty online fans.
Infact I couldnt care less if they start breaking out Coma, Locomotive, The Garden, Breakdown etc - thats the old bands accomplishments,  by now this line up should be living and dying by their own work.

agree...too many cover songs.:headbang:

Really?! We're down to this now?

Looks like Axl isn't the only one "scraping the barrel"

I mean we all wanna hear new material from Axl & Co.

But the simple fact still remains. There is no way around that they have to do the setlist more or less the way they're doing it now.
If they did mostly new material (ChiDem) and unheard songs, spiced with WTTJ, SCOM, NR, PC, the Guns N' Roses-tours of late would be club-gigs instead of arenas and stadiums.
And then THAT would be an issue for the usual whiners, "Oh, fuck! I can't believe it's come to this?! Nobody cares anymore! bla bla bla!"

Like someone else pointed out. Sure, as a diehard fan, I'd love to hear a new song or three! But do I want a repetition of getting a new GNR album in my hands where I've already heard 9 out of 14 tracks? Hell no!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

-D-

-D- wrote:
russtcb wrote:
-D- wrote:

Im starting an old vs new and don't give a shit

Everytime I hear Estranged and then think about all the people who compared "ANYTHING" off CD to it.. I chuckle my ass off at the idiocy.

Sorry, completely random but everytime i hear those Slash guitar melodies/solos I think of that.

Estranged was one of those songs just ahead of its time when it has always been far superior to the other two of the trilogy.. people now appreciate its brilliance/epicness

Yeah, I like The Blues, Better, TIL and Prostitute as much as Estranged.

Blasphemous 21

Naltav

Naltav wrote:
russtcb wrote:

"weak ending to the once mighty Guns N' Roses"?? Do what now? I was very worried about the tour immediately following Rio the other night, but by no means did I think it was "the end".

And I just spent a few minutes watching some of the clips every one provided and I couldn't be happier with turnaround. Band sounded awesome again, Axl sounded far better, Axl was in far better spirits.... all good things.

No no no!!!! He wears the stupid hats! Fuckin' hats, I'm telling you!!!!!
It's the Eeeennnddd!!!!

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I really wonder now whats happened, mabye how CD was recieved just killed off any drive Axl had. Judging by how that album limped out in the end, mabye that drive was gone long before that...

For me though, Guns N'Roses is my favourite band, but not these guys - the real Guns N'Roses I grew up with.
I thought what Axl was building had so much potential, and the little original material we were exposed to in the early years I loved, so I didnt mind those guys stepping in the shoes of the old guys and being GNR, they were working on taking GNR forward.
But those guys are gone now and its a new cast and it seems like they have even given up the pretense of taking the band forward, digging into the the old bands and other bands discography seems like the height of their ambition and I'm not really down with that.
They are good performers sure and they put on a great show... I guess my problem is that the penny has finally dropped on me, like so many people have said here in the past, they are just the worlds most expensive cover band.

Bit of a weak ending to the once mighty Guns N'Roses.

That's how I feel, (or how my feelings evolved about this band)  pretty much 100%.

Board footer